Congrats Emp

19 replies to this topic

#1 Kavoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:41 PM

Good matches boys, despite the initial rough start, it was a clean win in the end. GJ :D

#2 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:50 PM

After watching the last 2 streams I have serious doubts to MWO's viability as an esport. There are too many players per team, and the mechs look so small from the bird's eye view that you can't make anything out on them. When they zoom in to the player's POV, they are in thermal vision so you get this crappy black and white viewpoint. It was very difficult to follow the match.

#3 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:59 PM

View PostDavers, on 17 September 2015 - 07:50 PM, said:

After watching the last 2 streams I have serious doubts to MWO's viability as an esport. There are too many players per team, and the mechs look so small from the bird's eye view that you can't make anything out on them. When they zoom in to the player's POV, they are in thermal vision so you get this crappy black and white viewpoint. It was very difficult to follow the match.

Valid concerns. It's definitely a tough game to call, because there's so much going on in a 12v12 match and the matches are so short. Once it really starts snowballing, you can't focus too much on individual players. At 12v12, it's more about the strategy and how the whole team works as a whole. Which perhaps isn't appropriate for a game like MWO, because the focus of the game is the mech and there's very little role warfare

I think 8v8 and 4v4 are more crowd friendly, and it makes the commentating a lot easier too. The pace slows down a bit, you can look closer at individual players.

I think the spectator tool needs to be able to switch between vision modes regardless of what the player is using. 3PV, heat vision, night vision, it should be up to the spectator.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 17 September 2015 - 08:09 PM.

#4 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:08 PM

Part of the reason for the bird's eye view is because the new spectator tool is way too fast moving around, even with a controller.

If they would fix it so the movement was truly analog (not speed stops that go from fast to ludicrous speed), they would be able to get closer to the action and follow mechs more efficiently.

#5 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:15 PM

Thanks! :)

#6 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:34 PM

View PostDavers, on 17 September 2015 - 07:50 PM, said:

I saw some games from LoL and Dota on a big screen at the cebit one year... I could at least follow a bit because I know these games but my colleague looked at me after 3 minutes like I'm crazy and everyone there lost their minds completely. It is really just bright multicolored explosions and you can't see sh!t what's happening.

Sure, MWO's spectator mode needs some work and some training for the users, but at least you can see *something*

#7 Thorqemada

• 6,368 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:36 AM

Yeah, have seen the record now, great Job and congratulations to the Winners.

Also apreciate that Conquest really was used as tool to decide the Matches and not Skirmish with some arbitrary basecaps.

MWO E-Sport is (would be) Solaris Games.

Edited by Thorqemada, 18 September 2015 - 07:43 AM.

#8 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:16 AM

Aaaaaaaaaaand now it's spoiled for me. :P

#9 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:52 AM

it is a bit weird when the players are sniping each other, the bird's eye view manages to capture that firefight i guess but it does look like ants;

and flying with a freelook camera is not going to catch the whole interchange;

i say they need to have a spectator third person view that follows the players (but doesn't trigger the 3pv drone of course)
so that it would be zoomed in and you could see almost from their point of view, but less confusing.

#10 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:13 AM

Here is the link if anyone is looking for it. Had to do some light digging on Twitch to find it.

http://www.twitch.tv/celyth/v/16562570

-k

#11 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:28 PM

View Post627, on 17 September 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

I saw some games from LoL and Dota on a big screen at the cebit one year... I could at least follow a bit because I know these games but my colleague looked at me after 3 minutes like I'm crazy and everyone there lost their minds completely. It is really just bright multicolored explosions and you can't see sh!t what's happening.

Sure, MWO's spectator mode needs some work and some training for the users, but at least you can see *something*

Granted, you get more out of watching matches when you know what to look for than a casual observer.

In LoL you don't have everyone sniping at targets 2 screens away. But every match had long periods of long distance firing, with all the mechs being these tiny shapes. I really couldn't tell who was firing, or at whom. Just kept watching the sides of the screen to see percentages drop.(it didn't help that they used red for one team that was, for me, completely illegible).

Plus, I know the spectator tool is still in very early stages, but there needs to be a way to have it focus on the action better. There also needs to be a better watching distance than all the way out for a panoramic view where all the mechs are just completely dwarfed by their name tags.

Also, Mining Collective was very dark for s 'spectator map'.

Lastly, while Conquest may have been a good choice to avoid camping and such, there has to be a way of seeing what the kill counts are, and more importantly who killed who during the match. While not necessary for normal play, it is a little bit necessary from an esport angle.

#12 L3mming2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:34 PM

why no cheatas, and only FS9's?

#13 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

View PostDavers, on 18 September 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

Granted, you get more out of watching matches when you know what to look for than a casual observer.

In LoL you don't have everyone sniping at targets 2 screens away. But every match had long periods of long distance firing, with all the mechs being these tiny shapes. I really couldn't tell who was firing, or at whom. Just kept watching the sides of the screen to see percentages drop.(it didn't help that they used red for one team that was, for me, completely illegible).

Plus, I know the spectator tool is still in very early stages, but there needs to be a way to have it focus on the action better. There also needs to be a better watching distance than all the way out for a panoramic view where all the mechs are just completely dwarfed by their name tags.

Also, Mining Collective was very dark for s 'spectator map'.

Lastly, while Conquest may have been a good choice to avoid camping and such, there has to be a way of seeing what the kill counts are, and more importantly who killed who during the match. While not necessary for normal play, it is a little bit necessary from an esport angle.

after watching both finals now, i think it is not just the spec tool but the hosts, too. It is like shaky cam in movies, not even 5 secs of one angle, they always change the viewpoint or the spectating mech throughout the whole match.
At least, it should always be from one direction, like football or that eggball-"sport" thingy, so you as audience know whats going on. all the 360 shots are nice but confusing.

Would be better to stay with one or two mechs per match and *some* air shots. but thats the problem with live events iguess...

#14 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:04 PM

Have to agree with the spectator comments. Each match is too short and is hard to follow. Maybe they should put in a multi-round game mode (best of 3, or best of 5 on the same map) so there's a good chunk of play time unbroken by loading screens.

Also, 3rd person orbit camera when following a mech in spectate, preferably placed much higher up than the standard 3PV camera so you can see more. And show silhouettes of mechs through cover and a component health overlay so we can see how they are placed and who's getting shot at and where.

#15 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:20 PM

View Post627, on 18 September 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

after watching both finals now, i think it is not just the spec tool but the hosts, too. It is like shaky cam in movies, not even 5 secs of one angle, they always change the viewpoint or the spectating mech throughout the whole match.
At least, it should always be from one direction, like football or that eggball-"sport" thingy, so you as audience know whats going on. all the 360 shots are nice but confusing.

Would be better to stay with one or two mechs per match and *some* air shots. but thats the problem with live events iguess...

I think the spectator tools were updated recently, so not a lot of practice perhaps? Plus the tools are still in Alpha and don't seem easy to use. But yes, a standardized viewpoint would be a big help.

#16 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:27 PM

IMO you need to have spectating ALWAYS be in regular vision, just with an 'indicator' that they're using thermal for example. That would help.

Need a floating spectator cam that can zoom in over the shoulder.

#17 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for the spoiler in the topic title I was waiting to watch it :) haha

#18 Idalgos

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 98 posts
  • LocationLipetsk, Russia

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:05 PM

View PostL3mming2, on 18 September 2015 - 02:34 PM, said:

why no cheatas, and only FS9's?

I am not sure, but I think they only use mechs that fully released for c-bills.

#19 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 11:10 PM

View PostIdalgos, on 18 September 2015 - 10:05 PM, said:

I am not sure, but I think they only use mechs that fully released for c-bills.

the problem with that rule is that hero mechs are generally allowed, so it is a bit arbitrary.

#20 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 19 September 2015 - 01:23 AM

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 17 September 2015 - 10:08 PM, said:

Part of the reason for the bird's eye view is because the new spectator tool is way too fast moving around, even with a controller.

If they would fix it so the movement was truly analog (not speed stops that go from fast to ludicrous speed), they would be able to get closer to the action and follow mechs more efficiently.

sucks with logitech steering wheel too - confirmed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users