Territorial Challenge Designed To Gather Weapons/mech Balance Data?

10 replies to this topic

#1 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:15 PM

Was driving home today and just had a thought. The tournament seems designed to have you bring mechs/loadouts to get the most damage possibe. And beyond that to play to the full extent of your skills. I believe it has a higher value prize than what we have had before also. Is the event a nice plan to get good up-to-date info on Clan vs IS balance and game balance in general?"

Edited by XX Sulla XX, 18 September 2015 - 03:17 PM.

#2 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:18 PM

They get the same data you suggest from every event with a leaderboard they have had. If you want a data gathering motive, I'd suggest they are looking for breakpoints in their new scoring system. Of course, it could just be another event.

#3 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:23 PM

The scoring system is out of whack a bit. I've seen matches were a guy scores 500 points with no kills, 9 assists, 600 damage.

While a guy with one kill 7 assists only scores 296. Or a guy who gets 3 kills 5 assists scores 296.

So Its pretty messed up near impossible to score over 400 points unless you get some sort of 2spookie4 you match were your ECM Loki takes out 6 guy in a 2spookie4u fashion for 600 points.

As for weapons and mech balance data. All of us are running are high alpha death kill mechs, or Clan monsters that have 72 damage yields. So weapon data will be hugely skewed towards the high end.

Edited by Corbon Zackery, 18 September 2015 - 03:24 PM.

#4 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:23 PM

I hope not as most damage doesn't mean the most powerful mechs.

#5 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:27 PM

View PostBilbo, on 18 September 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

They get the same data you suggest from every event with a leaderboard they have had. If you want a data gathering motive, I'd suggest they are looking for breakpoints in their new scoring system. Of course, it could just be another event.

Yes to a point it depends on the exact event and scoring and rules etc. For example the events where you only have to get a very low match score to win prizes means you do not even have to try. This one is harder to get even the basic prizes.

View PostCorbon Zackery, on 18 September 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

The scoring system is out of whack a bit. I've seen matches were a guy scores 500 points with no kills, 9 assists, 600 damage.

While a guy with one kill 7 assists only scores 296. Or a guy who gets 3 kills 5 assists scores 296.

So Its pretty messed up near impossible to score over 400 points unless you get some sort of 2spookie4 you match were your ECM Loki takes out 6 guy in a 2spookie4u fashion for 600 points.

As for weapons and mech balance data. All of us are running are high alpha death kill mechs, or Clan monsters that have 72 damage yields. So weapon data will be hugely skewed towards the high end.
I think it seems like something arund 1 kill and 500 damage several assists and a win does it.

View PostMonkey Lover, on 18 September 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

I hope not as most damage doesn't mean the most powerful mechs.
True but they already know dakka builds put out more damage. So it would be pretty easy to look at event data and past data and get some good information.

#6 SkyHammyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 462 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:28 PM

If you want to get good, viable and reliable data for balance metrics.
Host more of these: http://mwomercs.com/...00-grand-prize/

#7 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:39 PM

View PostSkyHammr, on 18 September 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

If you want to get good, viable and reliable data for balance metrics.
Host more of these: http://mwomercs.com/...00-grand-prize/

Well they do plan on doing that in the future they said. And they can look at the data from those that are happening now that are run by players.

#8 LORD ORION

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:57 PM

I am thinking it is to see what kind of PSR gaming people can do, collect data on rewards per match at the various tiers and gather ballistics data.

#9 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 18 September 2015 - 03:15 PM, said:

Was driving home today and just had a thought. The tournament seems designed to have you bring mechs/loadouts to get the most damage possibe. And beyond that to play to the full extent of your skills. I believe it has a higher value prize than what we have had before also. Is the event a nice plan to get good up-to-date info on Clan vs IS balance and game balance in general?"

Yeah realized that right off
Also to try and flush out people that are sand bagging

Expect a hard weekend

#10 PianoMan

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:58 PM

Yup - meta is out, and everyone's only in for themselves. I'm mostly out of MWO for this weekend.

#11 riverslq

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 443 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:48 PM

considering the lights are at 10%, meds at about 11%,
noone's bringing anything to cover those needs if this is all about testing
until they fix their scoring system, they won't have half if not more than half the data they need.

or is that it? to get a score, noone brings lights, expect 100% ppc quirks for my firestarter soon?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users