Why Isn't Ammo Doubled?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Archangel Dino

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 133 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

A newer player here, so I just need help understanding something.

Armor Values are doubled, and most ammo per ton has been increased by 1.5x to make up for this. Some weapons are exceptions.

A few examples include:

LRM ammo/ton = 120 > 180
LB 10-X AC ammo/ton = 10 > 15
SRM ammo/ton = 90 > 100

Why has PGI decided not to double the values? Would this not make more sense? Does the current ammo count not put Ballistics and Missile weapons at a serious disadvantage when compared to Energy Weapons?

#2 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

Because a player can hit with every shot in MWO, while in TT you could miss someone you were close enough to punch. Honestly even adding 50% ammo I think was a mistake.

Edited by Davers, 18 September 2015 - 03:37 PM.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

View PostDavers, on 18 September 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

Because a player can hit with every shot in MWO, while in TT you could miss someone you were close enough to punch.

And yet, pretty much every weapon requires much more ammo than they did in TT, even for just normal pug matches (CW is even worse).

For example, in TT I could probably get by with 1 ton of ammo for an AC/10 (could easily be killed before it runs out, or kill the bad guys by the time it does run out, but in MWO I'd need about 2-3 tons.

To be fair, though, we also need a lot more heatsinks...

#4 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:39 PM

Ammo (Damage per Ton) should be increased IMHO.

#5 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

In the table top you had epic shot variance due to dice rolls. At melee range an MG could miss or it could roll the most epic through armor criticals ever and one shot a fresh Atlas.

In MWO a player will never miss at close range.

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 18 September 2015 - 03:50 PM.

#6 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:47 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 September 2015 - 03:38 PM, said:

And yet, pretty much every weapon requires much more ammo than they did in TT, even for just normal pug matches (CW is even worse).

For example, in TT I could probably get by with 1 ton of ammo for an AC/10 (could easily be killed before it runs out, or kill the bad guys by the time it does run out, but in MWO I'd need about 2-3 tons.

To be fair, though, we also need a lot more heatsinks...

Well, it's not going to get better if they keep adding structure quirks to everything. Imagine how much better IS mechs would be if they only needed 1-2 tons of ammo per weapon, especially LRMs.

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 18 September 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

In the table top you had epic shot variance due to dice rolls. At melee range an MG could miss or it could roll the most epic through armor criticals ever and one shot a fresh Atlas.

I really believe that TACs are what made medium and light mechs worthwhile in TT. I remember the almost physical pain I would feel when a Commando got 2 engine crits on his first attack on my Stalker. I also remember having a Valkyrie take out a fresh Enforcer and a damaged Victor in one round. That was so epic- my opponent forfeit the match after that.

Edited by Davers, 18 September 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#7 Evan20k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 491 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:28 PM

I feel like the only weapons that actually need more ammo per ton are missiles due to them not having convergence and AC20/CUAC20/LBX20s due to the initial weight of the weapon on top of the ammo cost. Hell, Gauss is a better weapon in almost every way and it's more ammo efficient than the 20-sized autocannons.

#8 Euklides

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:04 PM

View PostEvan20k, on 18 September 2015 - 04:28 PM, said:

and AC20/CUAC20/LBX20s

Personally I'd be happy with one ammo increase for all the odd ones so we can have half tons without losing ammo :(

#9 Golden Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 656 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:18 PM

View PostDavers, on 18 September 2015 - 03:47 PM, said:

Well, it's not going to get better if they keep adding structure quirks to everything. Imagine how much better IS mechs would be if they only needed 1-2 tons of ammo per weapon, especially LRMs.

I really believe that TACs are what made medium and light mechs worthwhile in TT. I remember the almost physical pain I would feel when a Commando got 2 engine crits on his first attack on my Stalker. I also remember having a Valkyrie take out a fresh Enforcer and a damaged Victor in one round. That was so epic- my opponent forfeit the match after that.

I make my players use the roaming crit rules when I run games.

It helps them when they are getting shot at, and there still is the possibility for the TAC to hit in the center torso, but now there is also the possibility that it will knock out a leg actuator.

Clan Ultra Autos spray all over the place. I think they should get a damage bump.

I also think Inner Sphere LBX should be able to fire in a stream like clan ACs with a damage bump to it as well.

Edited by Golden Vulf, 18 September 2015 - 05:21 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users