No replies to this topic

#1 Shae Starfyre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:28 AM

I have been refining an idea about structure types which I think touches a few areas from IS XL Engines, forced positive and negative effects on Clans.

We have three structure types:

Endo, Ferro, and Normal.

I am not up on lore, so please, correct me if I am wrong, but this is more about achieving some interesting uses of structure.

Characteristics of structure:

Endo seems to me to be a light and strong material allowing for extra armor; and it's based on the crit slots it takes up, just like Ferro, it appears to be using that space to allow for extra tonnage - which to me translates to being able to carry heavier guns and more armor. Not necessarily covering the interior better.

Ferro is similar, but provides more coverage by the lack of extra tonnage available.

While, standard, would seem to me to be more bulkier material for the structure.

So, the idea is can structure protect weapons, components, and engines.

Maybe it can in a way:

I was thinking about the IS XL posts, and was curious, wouldn't it be interesting if Standard Structure provided so much more Structure chassis material that it actually increases the number of crits it took to take out an XL engine, so, basically, causing it to have to take out four crits to take out the engine.

But, standard doesn't add much in the way of weapon or component protection because of design (no real reason per say; just that it is basic, and probably designed around the engine more than anything else, protecting that vital part where the other structures were designed for other reasons).

That's where the other types comes into play, Ferro and Endo, being lighter materials, more dense, but having less over-all space in the chassis (I know, it takes up crit slots but the theory is that it is using that for the extra armor and tonnage management), but because of that, it is designed to house weapons and components better (I am surprised that the quirks for structure didn't somehow play off the different types in the first place but that's another story).

So, what exactly could it do?

Both of course would not protect the XL engine giving standard a purpose.

It could (Ferro) be better at protecting weapons because it doesn't offer so much tonnage; trade offs here; and again, for design purposes; I envision this being the first modification to structure in an attempt to better house the weapons.

While Endo is best for protecting the other components, like ECM, Heat Sinks, Targeting Computers, and Ammo (Case is different process). And the reason being that it is designed, again, differently with a purpose around providing as much tonnage as possible for armor and bigger guns leaving them more exposed (just a sci-fi thought; but, because of how components are designed, it has a beneficial affect in that skeleton environment).

How would it protect them better, perhaps lower crit possibilities or add hit points, not really sure because I don't know the math behind it all; but, these are the ideas where each has a unique purpose, benefit and retraction.

What do you think?

Edited by Aphoticus, 19 September 2015 - 12:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users