• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:41 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The CT of the Mauler is insanely easy to hit as evidently most all shots go there.
In most other mechs my ST's are pretty beat up/gone before the CT goes, but not on the Mauler. While one could make the argument that this makes the Mauler XL friendly it doesn't really matter as it can only go up to 325 size anyway. The added speed (if any) doesn't make up for the added vulnerability.

I try to twist, I do, but as the twist is slow and limited in angle the CT often takes most of the damage anyway.
As can be seen in the images the damage on the rest of the mech is spread out pretty evenly, but obviously the CT has received a lot more.

So, I'd like the CT of the Mauler to get an armour quirk, maybe +15 would be a good number.

It was rumoured that the Mauler should be a pretty tanky mech, but as it stands I don't think it is... +15 CT armour would likely make it a good deal better though.

OR, the engine cap could be increased so that running an XL is actually worth it.

#2 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:44 AM

Here's another POV. People know the CT is it's weakness and are therefore shooting it. ;)

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:45 AM

Silly question... have you tried ...Twisting?
(Also, are you running DPS builds, or alpha builds?)

#4 Speedy Plysitkos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:48 AM

play IM, then talk.

#5 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:49 AM

had this same problem with all my Novas, but they have noses and i cant fix it with twisting, :)

#6 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:52 AM

I'm definitely shooting the CTs unless you have so many weapons that I'm certain you're rocking an XL engine. Shooting someone's CT is also usually a good way to make them torso twist and just stop laying down continuous AC5 or UAC5 fire.

Really though, the Mauler's firepower is so tremendous that it can be compared to the Warhawk. They're both capable of dishing out a LOT of damage compared to how much damage they can take. So it makes sense to kill them first, instead of going through a mech like the Atlas, which is rarely capable of dishing out the same amount of damage (unless you're at really close range)

Killing a Mauler should be high priority, just because of its crazy firepower.

#7 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:53 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 September 2015 - 07:45 AM, said:

#8 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:54 AM

View PostYellonet, on 19 September 2015 - 07:41 AM, said:

OR, the engine cap could be increased so that running an XL is actually worth it.

Yep.
I run only one with st engine, and the other ones with xl with good firepower.

#9 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

View PostMystere, on 19 September 2015 - 07:44 AM, said:

Here's another POV. People know the CT is it's weakness and are therefore shooting it. ;)
Yes, obviously, but that's not a mitigating factor IMO... it just makes it worse!

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 September 2015 - 07:45 AM, said:

I wrote that I try, but it doesn't twist very fast or very far, so the CT is usually takes most of the damage anyway.

View PostTitannium, on 19 September 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

play IM, then talk.

That there are other mechs with problems doesn't make this problem any less bad.

#10 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:39 AM

What is the loadout? I see MX90, and imagine 6x AC2 with ULTIMATE FACETIME.

I may be wrong. I had this issue my first few matches in the chassis. Then I altered my play, and I have little issue anymore with this type of thing.

Best advice I can give you- don;t aim your feet at your target. Sounds wierd, but use twist to line up the shots, and use turn AND twist to look away from return fire. It allows a further twist if you dont have your feet pointed at them.

#11 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:46 AM

View PostEldagore, on 19 September 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

What is the loadout? I see MX90, and imagine 6x AC2 with ULTIMATE FACETIME.

I may be wrong. I had this issue my first few matches in the chassis. Then I altered my play, and I have little issue anymore with this type of thing.

Best advice I can give you- don;t aim your feet at your target. Sounds wierd, but use twist to line up the shots, and use turn AND twist to look away from return fire. It allows a further twist if you dont have your feet pointed at them.

2xAC/10 + 2xLL.

Yeah, that's a good tip, thanks.

#12 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:00 AM

You have tons of armor in those sides. To get anywhere near what you need to get a full run out of this mech with the way you're playing it would need at least a 100 armor ct buff.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 19 September 2015 - 11:01 AM.

#13 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:57 AM

Just use this

#14 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:24 PM

Thats insanely hot.

I run 2 gauss w/6t ammo and with 2 er large

Unless you run LRM's with this beast, its always face time.
Your never gonna get away from this unless they look into changing the CT dynamics.

Twist speed, with anything less than a 300 is diabolical even with the xp tweaks done.

#15 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

Yes I'm also having trouble keeping my Mauler's alive compared to my Highlanders... Not sure if its the extra attention or because they aren't mastered yet... but its a grind against the laser vomiters this weekend in them.

I think the 325 cap should be removed otherwise all the IS 90 ton mechs are all limited to 325 engines (except Highlander which gets a 330) and slow speed! Why is that??

Edited by Jman88, 19 September 2015 - 12:32 PM.

#16 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:40 PM

Shoot the head from any direction.

It's all CT.

Also it twists poorly so you can't protect your CT.

It's PGI, making sure it's at best Tier 3.

Because otherwise..... it wouldn't be an overall bad mech that you regret having bought for money.

I truly and sincerely believe at this point PGI is trying to aggressively teach us NOT to buy mech packs.

#17 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:09 AM

View PostBrody319, on 19 September 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

Haha, I've done that for the LOL's and trust me, if a mech crits either gauss ( and they will )

Posted Image

#18 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:13 AM

Lately CT hits have been crazy even on fast mechs. Seriously its like some of these guys cannot miss the CT. Accuracy has been through the roof lately.

#19 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:28 AM

Strangely enough, my most effective Maulers to date have been quad AC4 and quad LB10X. The LBX one surprised me, I was expecting crappy performance, but 4xLB10X on chainfire does mean things to people.

#20 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:43 AM

Those paper dolls look like every match I've ever played in a Victor where I get killed. The CT on IS assaults other than the Awesome is a bullet vacuum, that's for sure. And there are a lot of players out there shooting gauss rifles and PPCs that have insane, robot-like accuracy at ranges over 1000 meters. That's the part that weirded me out...until I got advanced zoom. I can do that now with large lasers, just not from as far out.

I think ALL IS assaults need major armor quirkage. The IS assault 'mech *is* the IS equalizer for Clan heavies, an IS 90 tonner is about equivalent to a Clan 75 tonner in firepower and overall protection. We need them in bunches, there is a reason for the old saw about Steiner recon lances and that's it. And for the love of Kerensky, PGI, PLEASE do something about IS XL engines so we can carry them without turning the whole 'mech into a huge CT. Victors don't die from ST shots often, but it's annoying when I lose my shield arm on the Dragon Slayer and poof, full-bore CT from then unto death.

Edited by Chados, 20 September 2015 - 06:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users