The Black Knight Is Looking Disappointing.

Weapons BattleMechs

125 replies to this topic

#1 Pizzadog

• Pip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

The teaser images today confirmed what myself and many of my fellow players feared: that the next big IS heavy mech, a 75 ton badass with every intention of going toe-to-toe with timberwolves, is going to have a serious problem with hardpoint placement. Every one of them minus the head mounted laser (an ML at best) is mounted at hip level. Apparently the arm PPC is also underslung as opposed to being mounted on the outside which doesn't help either.

I don't want another Orion. I don't think anybody wants another Orion. Right now, though, that's what the Black Knight is looking like - another cumbersome 75 ton IS heavy that will be eclipsed by smaller mechs with more efficient hardpoint placement, or larger mechs that can handle the punishment required to bring their weapons to bear.

Please tell me it's not so, PGI. Quirks, hardpoint readjustment, anything. I just want this to be a good mech.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

Posted Image

#3 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:33 PM

The don't see how any laser vomit mech can compete with the timber wolf. 2slot dhs with 1slot medium lasers the same as IS large means clans win.

#4 Kira Onime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:34 PM

View PostPizzadog, on 17 September 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

Apparently the arm PPC is also underslung as opposed to being mounted on the outside which doesn't help either.

Just change the order in which the PPC goes in and it'll be on the outside since most, if not all, the arms in the BK have 2 hardpoints.
Really a pointless complaint.

Also, the hip level hardpoints was known since day 1.
Not sure what took you so long to realize it.

#5 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostKira_Onime, on 17 September 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

Just change the order in which the PPC goes in and it'll be on the outside since most, if not all, the arms in the BK have 2 hardpoints.

Not really, the PPC should have been on the side, and the ML should have been ABOVE it according to the concept art. I've posted the pic like 4 times in the past 24 hours you'd think people would get the issue by now.

Simply put, there should be NO weapons under the right arm, if the model followed the concept art.

#6 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 17 September 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

Not really, the PPC should have been on the side, and the ML should have been ABOVE it according to the concept art. I've posted the pic like 4 times in the past 24 hours you'd think people would get the issue by now.

I see what you mean now.
PGI will probably find some lame ass excuse such as "it looks cooler" or something.

#7 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostKira_Onime, on 17 September 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

I see what you mean now.
PGI will probably find some lame ass excuse such as "it looks cooler" or something.

Yeah... its just annoying. Part of me though "hey at least the arm hardpoints will be higher than the Grasshopper's." LOLnope

#8 Pizzadog

• Pip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostKira_Onime, on 17 September 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

I'm familiar with swapping hardpoints around to make things stack correctly, but unless I'm mistaken, the concept art did not show anything underslung on the arms.

It didn't take me long to realize it at all. I'm just posting now because it's relevant now, and because secretly I was hoping somebody else might take issue with it and give them a reason to change the hardpoints. That has not happened, unfortunately.

#9 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:51 PM

View PostPizzadog, on 17 September 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

I'm familiar with swapping hardpoints around to make things stack correctly, but unless I'm mistaken, the concept art did not show anything underslung on the arms.

So post above.

#10 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:53 PM

As someone who voted for the Grasshopper, I just want to say "I told you so." :D

#11 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:56 PM

THe BK has always been an abomination of a mech..

#12 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

View PostDavers, on 17 September 2015 - 03:53 PM, said:

As someone who voted for the Grasshopper, I just want to say "I told you so." :D

Well that's not fair, when we voted for these we had no idea that the Hopper was going to be blessed with 2-4 worthwhile high hardpoints and the Black Knight would get at most 1 on one of the variants (one has 3 HPs in the RT, the third is basically at the shoulder).

#13 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:08 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 17 September 2015 - 03:58 PM, said:

Well that's not fair, when we voted for these we had no idea that the Hopper was going to be blessed with 2-4 worthwhile high hardpoints and the Black Knight would get at most 1 on one of the variants (one has 3 HPs in the RT, the third is basically at the shoulder).

The Hopper could have had lower hard points and still been useful with JJs. But The Knight NEEDED hight hardpoints to even be near good. Not that I am gloating, I liked the Black Knight fine in TT, but I knew it's famous toughness wouldn't transfer over, and rolling the luck die on hardpoint locations....well let's just say none of the pictures I have seen of the Black Knight previously impressed me with their hardpoint locations.

#14 Mad Strike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:12 PM

Well i didn't bought the full resistance 2 pack for that but guess you're right , hardpoints are just wrong.

They really need to fix this , if theres something MWO is good at is the fidelity to its concept art and this kinds of breaks that.

#15 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:24 PM

I always have to wonder when I see these -

does someone look at them and go "Huh. Looks good, but can you make it a bit more bad? Widen the side torsos a bit, maybe lower all the hardpoints? Can we get them just above the leg hitboxes? Also, make the head a bid higher and wider, so you can always hit the CT from any angle. People are pre-ordering this. We have absolutely no reason to NOT make it absolute ****. We already have their money; it's like selling broken dreams! "

Seriously PGI. Do you sit down, look at a mech design and decide what you can do to peg it in tier 4?

meanwhile the absolutely broken Stormcrow hitboxes are sacrosanct?

It gives me the facepalm.

#16 Rather Dashing

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 114 posts
  • LocationLand of the Purple Freedom Bird

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

THE PIG NEEDS TO CORRECT THE PPC SLUNG UNDER THE ARM. IT AS AN AFFRONT TO BOTH GOD AND MAN.

#17 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

I stand with Pizzadong

#18 Telmasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:39 PM

Black Knight looks amazing to me. Hardpoint height isn't that big a deal to me - it's compact and not too far below the cockpit, so odds are I won't be hitting hills or buildings despite all evidence to the contrary, and that's all that's really going to matter. The rest is simply up to my piloting.

#19 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:41 PM

I swear some of you guys wouldnt be happy with the Dasher's hardpoints.

#20 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:49 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 17 September 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

I always have to wonder when I see these -

does someone look at them and go "Huh. Looks good, but can you make it a bit more bad? Widen the side torsos a bit, maybe lower all the hardpoints? Can we get them just above the leg hitboxes? Also, make the head a bid higher and wider, so you can always hit the CT from any angle. People are pre-ordering this. We have absolutely no reason to NOT make it absolute ****. We already have their money; it's like selling broken dreams! "

Seriously PGI. Do you sit down, look at a mech design and decide what you can do to peg it in tier 4?

meanwhile the absolutely broken Stormcrow hitboxes are sacrosanct?

It gives me the facepalm.

IS mech packs are cheaper therefore terrible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users