• Ace Of Spades
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:02 AM

#2 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:05 AM

What's with the betty? I thought we can't change those files?

#3 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:16 AM

It's a sound pack that doesn't delete or modify existing game files (it's just an extra file you drop in and it loads last). PGI gave the A-OK for it.

#4 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,962 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:18 AM

Bog is a horrid mess of crap to get stuck on.

And its EVERYWHERE.

Its on the stairs, its on the stupid branches, its on the trees, its on the little water puddles on the top platforms, on the shells, on the crab arms sticking out of the walls..

Visually its pretty good, but function wise and flow..its a really poorly designed map.

#5 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:19 AM

And I just got a game on bog with my Dire Whale. Gonna check this out, lul.

#6 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:31 AM

Theyve needed to fix the hill climbing for huge mechs for a LONG time. Huge mechs can barely climb hills/ramps/stairs and have way too much difficulty walking over over small rocks/pipes/vines. And in some cases like this they can even get stuck.

The slowdown angle for huge mechs is the problem. Right now the slowdown angles are 40/35/30/25/20 for tiny, light, medium, large, and huge mechs respectively. So that means tiny mechs start to slow down at 40 degree inclines while huge mechs start to slow down at 20 degree inclines.

Well that 20 degree slowdown is the whole problem. They need to change the slowdown angles to something less punitive like 40/36/33/29/25.

Also the hill climbing module should add +5 degrees to your slowdown angle in addition to reducing the deceleration by 10%. That would make the hill climbing module much more useful. It would basically shift your movement archetype down one so a huge mech would climb hills like a large mech and so on.

Edited by Khobai, 20 September 2015 - 04:42 AM.

#7 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:42 AM

View PostVlad Ward, on 20 September 2015 - 04:16 AM, said:

It's a sound pack that doesn't delete or modify existing game files (it's just an extra file you drop in and it loads last). PGI gave the A-OK for it.

It is not A-OK according to PGI. Their current line is unfortunately this...

View PostAlexander Garden, on 28 August 2015 - 09:58 PM, said:

Need to rain on the parade a little bit here, unfortunately.

The modification of game PAK files is not permitted in any form. This restriction extends to modifications that may not provide any tactical advantage, such as a sound pack.

We all agree that custom sound packs would be a sweet feature to implement, but we do not currently have plans to do so. As far as I'm aware the file system is not designed to support end-user modification right now, and with all the other tasks currently at hand we don't have the development resources available that would be required for implementing that kind of functionality.

Regarding dynamic/functional cockpit monitors, well....I've seen some things.....
http://mwomercs.com/...d-beta-soundsp/

As for the trap, I have got stuck there before in my Atlas.

Edited by Aetes Nakatomi, 20 September 2015 - 04:43 AM.

#8 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:50 AM

It's not only by the "stairs", there are entire corridors between hills on that map that you can't drive a non jumping assault mech through. I think part of the reason everyone moves down the edges of the map is so they don't get stuck.

I call it "Viridian stuck on a log".

#9 Rushmoar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:59 AM

I put in a ticket already about it. PGI is aware of this. If you get a running start you maybe able to run up the roots right next to the stairs.

#10 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:16 AM

View PostVlad Ward, on 20 September 2015 - 04:16 AM, said:

How do you get it?! o_o

edit: nevermind

Edited by KuroNyra, 20 September 2015 - 05:16 AM.

#11 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:19 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 20 September 2015 - 05:16 AM, said:

How do you get it?! o_o

edit: nevermind

My thoughts exactly... I would love to be able to run these mods without risking my account. As far as I can tell PGI currently blind-eye people using the sound mods. But... You never know when they are going to decide to bring the hammer down.

#12 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:19 AM

View PostAetes Nakatomi, on 20 September 2015 - 04:42 AM, said:

It is not A-OK according to PGI. Their current line is unfortunately this...

http://mwomercs.com/...d-beta-soundsp/

Edit: Can't find sauce any more. Meh.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 20 September 2015 - 05:32 AM.

#13 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:27 AM

View PostVlad Ward, on 20 September 2015 - 05:19 AM, said:

That pack in particular had been cleared by Russ (or someone equally important, I don't remember), which was the whole premise behind that thread ("Now that sound packs are okay" referred to this pack).

The MW2 pack in question doesn't modify PAK files, which is probably the distinction that was made at that point. I wouldn't generalize that decision to other sound mods, which is what people in that thread were trying to do, and why Alex had to come in.

That is great news! Not meaning to be a burden, but I have looked online for evidence of it being cleared to no avail (I even follow Russ on Twitter). Could you post a link to it being cleared so I can feel safe adding it?

View PostVlad Ward, on 20 September 2015 - 05:19 AM, said:

Edit: Can't find sauce any more. Meh.

No worries, it could have been another famous PGI U-turn.

Edited by Aetes Nakatomi, 20 September 2015 - 05:35 AM.

#14 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:35 AM

View PostAetes Nakatomi, on 20 September 2015 - 05:27 AM, said:

That is great news! Not meaning to be a burden, but I have looked online for evidence of it being cleared to no avail (I even follow Russ on Twitter). Could you post a link to it being cleared so I can feel safe adding it?

Searched. Couldn't find the tweet I could've sworn I read when that came out. So it really depends on how much you care about toeing the ToS line, really. Personally, I assume it's not a big deal. PGI is run by gamers, and there are always gaps between official stances and enforcement for minor things.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 20 September 2015 - 05:36 AM.

#15 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:46 AM

I mentioned it because I remember the thread about it and we being told it was a no no. As usual one gets conflicting info.

I would have added them if not for being told we can't.

I don't see how they can penalize anyone about this considering how damn vague they are about it.

#16 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:48 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 20 September 2015 - 05:46 AM, said:

I mentioned it because I remember the thread about it and we being told it was a no no. As usual one gets conflicting info.

I would have added them if not for being told we can't.

I don't see how they can penalize anyone about this considering how damn vague they are about it.

To my knowledge they have not been vague. They have basically said 'we think its cool, but its still against the terms as you are messing with game files'. There is a difference between being vague and trying to blind-eye so you don't have to ban people for something with no tactical advantage.

#17 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:49 AM

View PostAetes Nakatomi, on 20 September 2015 - 05:19 AM, said:

My thoughts exactly... I would love to be able to run these mods without risking my account. As far as I can tell PGI currently blind-eye people using the sound mods. But... You never know when they are going to decide to bring the hammer down.

I doubt they will bring the hammer down for THAT.
It is far from being a cheat system and is infact. Closer to a Nostalgia pack. Something that should be almost encouraged.

#18 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:10 AM

That map is full of awful spots that trap Dire Whales. A 100-ton mech should be able to lift its legs up and walk over stuff...

#19 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:15 AM

even for mechs like quickdraws that try to jump backwards away from shots its a pain.
been doing that today between the central hills. got stuck midair, droping down like a wet sack and couldnt move anymore.
terrible end it been....between the animal carcass and the wall.
not even next to the wall lol middle of the path.

#20 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:19 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 20 September 2015 - 06:49 AM, said:

I doubt they will bring the hammer down for THAT.
It is far from being a cheat system and is infact. Closer to a Nostalgia pack. Something that should be almost encouraged.

If PGI really wanted to go down on the people that use these mods, they would also have to go down on some NGNG accounts.
Unless they give the NGNG account some sort of warning then they have to give one to everyone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users