• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:19 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 September 2015 - 04:56 AM, said:

But damn!
That is a cool picture!

That is going to hurt like a mother in like .1 seconds.

#22 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:44 AM

Hey OP, don't sweat. There's other stuff to do! Last night I played Stonekeep for hours. What a hard game it is. I figure most folks will give up by level two of the castle--I almost did.

Here's one of those hours for you to watch! Enjoy the beautiful Roland SC-55 external sound module I have hooked up and the music quality that rivals even modern games. Not bad for a DOS game, eh?

So see... don't lose sleep--don't worry, just hop into another game while this one shakes out all the flies.

p.s. HD + Fullscreen for best results

Edited by Mister Blastman, 22 September 2015 - 08:14 AM.

#23 MrPrezident

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:00 AM

I agree with the notion that this event has brought alot of toxicity to the game. Ive noticed people yelling over the mic or typing in chat to players for making even one mistake, or not even making mistakes at all. Just crying about how they died early on the map they needed while blaming it on teammates.Im definately looking foward to the end of this event it brings out the worst in people. And generally I like to think the mechwarrior community is pretty good. This event is Ego enflating and rage inducing, even found myself angry that I didnt get the map I needed once in an entire night of playing mechwarrior. Rather frustrating event, But hey im greatful that they even give us events to do. Thats my two-cents.

#24 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:07 AM

View PostMikato Soul, on 21 September 2015 - 10:45 PM, said:

I am fully aware of the half @$$ed attempt they made to prevent the disco issue. My question is, why not save face and postpone to cancel the event all together? That's like giving away free Chipotle, then realizing it was tainted with salmonella, and instead of stoping the give away, you tell people to deal with it.

Yay free Chipotle! But now I'm about to die.

No offense to chipotle, but you see what I mean?

A better analogy is someone giving away free Chipotle and the dregs of society all came rushing in. :o

#25 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:10 AM

View PostCrosell, on 21 September 2015 - 10:55 PM, said:

I appreciate teh effort to bring the scores down. I truely do but the amount of people that are stuck in one map limbo is just what causes this. People want to get there reward and have been screwed by rng. And rng is very frustrating. First dice roll get map, second dice roll hope your team doesnt get stomped. it sucks and people get angry and what to maximize there time. Not saying its right by any stretch, i know i had a few rage alt f4 during this event. I understand teh frustration as a mid tier player wanting that last map.

What algorithm do you propose to solve such an issue? It's easy to criticize. But coming up with a solution is much harder.

And computer "random" numbers are not what most people probably think they are.

#26 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:14 AM

View PostBidetlol, on 22 September 2015 - 01:16 AM, said:

far too much whine for only two days of event.

bro seriously : two day??? are you gonna die for two day??

yes the event was terrible and bad designed but Dude its only for two day, its not like its the end of the world

Lucky for me, I got a serious urge to play Total War: Attila over the weekend instead. I got so hooked I never had a chance to even drop for this event.

#27 Ekyo

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:15 AM

Sadly i had no time to participate in this tournament, i just tried to get my daily wins for my maulers.
But what a desaster this was. I made only a few matches full of suiciders, teamkillers (more like one buddy killing the other, met the same 2 guys three times in a row) or just straight disconnecting.

I don't think it is PGI's fault, but when the playerbase is so stupid, maybe we should just stop having tournaments.

Usually events should be the best time of a game, not the worst, by far.

Edited by Ekyo, 22 September 2015 - 07:15 AM.

#28 Willisnutz

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:46 AM

for 2 days playing time I HAVE NOT seen forest colony ONCE!! I'm disappointed a tourney would be at the mercy of match maker.

#29 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:04 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 22 September 2015 - 06:44 AM, said:

Hey OP, don't sweat. There's other stuff to do! Last night I played Stonekeep for hours. What a hard game it is. I figure most folks will give up by level two of the castle--I almost did.

Here's one of those hours for you to watch! Enjoy the beautiful Roland SC-55 external sound module I have hooked up and the music quality that rivals even modern games. Not bad for a DOS game, eh?

So see... don't lose sleep--don't worry, just hop in another game while this one shakes out all the flies.

p.s. HD + Fullscreen for best results

omg I loved that game

#30 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

Been dealing with a lot since Founders. Always had hope that they would finally figure it out. Seemed like they were making strides in the right direction. PTS negative quirks (even if they are not implemented, just the fact they were considered viable enough to be included in the PTS) was the straw that broke the camels back.

This tournament was the sack of flour on top of that.

Did they not hear the loud 'CRACK'?

#31 Torric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

Map requirement without being able to choose the map is the problem here, and PGI look ever dumber for not realizing it.

Edited by Torric, 22 September 2015 - 08:06 AM.

#32 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:07 AM

I imagine it was good data though. It's certainly given them something to improve on before Steam launch.

#33 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:07 AM

View PostMystere, on 22 September 2015 - 07:10 AM, said:

What algorithm do you propose to solve such an issue? It's easy to criticize. But coming up with a solution is much harder.

And computer "random" numbers are not what most people probably think they are.

If they could have, the "algorithm" they should have used was one where the maps are selected for each player based on "Probability WITHOUT Replacement". In other words, once you got a map and got a successful score you wouldn't see it again until you landed on all the others.

This would have made the maps you need show up with greater probability until you played them all, and then it would wipe and start again.

What they did was "Probability WITH Replacement" so that after you played a map it went right back into the draw and the odds of seeing a map you really needed never improved, but relative to the maps it seemed like it never came up.

Edited by TLBFestus, 22 September 2015 - 08:09 AM.

#34 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

Rushing is not a -bad- strategy

In fact, rushing can get a kill, or at least do 200 damage.

200 damage is more than 75% of my crap team mates. So if that's suspendable being bad should be suspendable

#35 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:08 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 22 September 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

omg I loved that game

It pissed me off bad. I started playing it in June, got to level two of the castle and those damn goblin-whatever-they-call-thems murdered me like their knives were razor-sharp straws they could flick at me like hummingbird wings.

I stopped. Then I got an inkling to play a couple days ago, watched a guy on youtube slaughter them and was like... oh... there's more to combat than I thought.

Now I'm in the sewers and enjoying it again. :)

#36 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:15 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 22 September 2015 - 08:07 AM, said:

If they could have, the "algorithm" they should have used was one where the maps are selected for each player based on "Probability WITHOUT Replacement". In other words, once you got a map and got a successful score you wouldn't see it again until you landed on all the others.

This would have made the maps you need show up with greater probability until you played them all, and then it would wipe and start again.

What they did was "Probability WITH Replacement" so that after you played a map it went right back into the draw and the odds of seeing a map you really needed never improved, but relative to the maps it seemed like it never came up.

Now tie that to the new PSR-based matchmaker and the fact that the 23 other players probably had different map requirements.

#37 Torric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:19 AM

It just should never have been map based. Whoever came up with that idea... fits right in with the other PGIdiots.

Edited by Torric, 22 September 2015 - 08:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users