New Player Needing Help With Cw Dropdecks

26 replies to this topic

#21 quantaca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:11 PM

Id recomend scrounging up some cbills to buy a thunderbolt 5ss especially if you havent mastered (elited) your thunderbold 5s yet the 5ss is prob the best mech the IS has, good quirks both offensive and defensive coupled with good survivability movement and speed with the std300 and 7 mpl with a range around 350 meters packs quite a punch, its the mech that has it all. With that you can run 5ss 5s 9se(trail mech, but its the meta build and getting xp on it before your able to buy it will make life easier in the end), that leaves you with 55 tons left over so you can pick one of the hunchbacks you own id say the one with the laser hump (4p ? )but thats me. Blackjacks are also very good (well the 1x is anyway) but that would require more cbills and it needs an xl295 making it expensive. Could also do 5ss 5s 0xp 4p for a full 250 tons, as the 0xp is not a terrible mech (but not great either) and ecm is always usefull just mind the low mounts

Using the mechs you have you could just drop zeuss 0xp 5s and have 35 tons left over for a light, not the best dropdeck but it will do especially when in a group like on the frr hub (some good people there btw).

Some general tips.
-Seriously go to the skill tree and elite your mechs i know its grindy because you need 3 mechs to do it but it makes a hell of a difference.
-You're already on the frr hub so see if you can join one of their units, most dont have actuall requirements like play x hours a week or must come to training it just adds to the experience a bit.
-Be a teamplayer, stick with the group, listen to orders and dont be afraid to get shot (just dont be the only one to get shot ;) )
-Be a teamplayer 2, call out on teamspeak (voip) if you see something like a push or a flank, or when you get surrounded by lights, it may be to late for you but you can save the team (also dont be afraid to sacrifice yourself to buy time for the team).
-Dont turn and run keep your guns on the enemy and move backwards while shooting back, if you really need to run twist and try to give them an arm to shoot at instead of you back.
-Not giving the enemy your back alows you to lower back armor (10 or less) and stack it to the front to better survive trading

#22 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:21 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 24 September 2015 - 12:46 PM, said:

Run the raven 4X with two erlls and the BLR 1S with 4xerlls. While you're new to cw you're going to live longer and perform better playing at long range. The lpl builds are great - when you know the map well and are familiar with positioning and are a solid choice. For now though the only brawlers I'd recommend are Wubmaster, Wubberbolt and BJ 1X. The 3F really counts on that list, you're just brawling by hill humping.

Mischief offers great advice here imo.

Personally, being familiar with the maps and having preference for lighter mechs, I run two ravens (One 4x with 2ml and 2ll and the hugin with srms for brawling) with a BLR-1D (4LPL) and a Stalker 4N (5LL). Works well. The LPL rock at knocking off components!

#23 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 30 September 2015 - 12:16 AM

View Postquantaca, on 29 September 2015 - 09:11 PM, said:

Id recomend scrounging up some cbills to buy a thunderbolt 5ss especially if you havent mastered (elited) your thunderbold 5s yet the 5ss is prob the best mech the IS has, good quirks both offensive and defensive coupled with good survivability movement and speed with the std300 and 7 mpl with a range around 350 meters packs quite a punch, its the mech that has it all. With that you can run 5ss 5s 9se(trail mech, but its the meta build and getting xp on it before your able to buy it will make life easier in the end), that leaves you with 55 tons left over so you can pick one of the hunchbacks you own id say the one with the laser hump (4p ? )but thats me. Blackjacks are also very good (well the 1x is anyway) but that would require more cbills and it needs an xl295 making it expensive. Could also do 5ss 5s 0xp 4p for a full 250 tons, as the 0xp is not a terrible mech (but not great either) and ecm is always usefull just mind the low mounts

Thanks bro, i already bought a TDR-5SS and its already been fieldtested in a drop along with the 9S(C). so for now im stuck with the CTF-0XP cause well i dont want the cbills to go to waste. Zeus is well im not sure if im going to use it even if i saw them fielded.

And for the HBK-4x im working towards the 4G for the bigger punch, 4P was fast but kind of lacking in dmg(or im just bad).

Anyways best way to win is always to listen to a commander and if everyone becomes silent like in a church start yelling out targets that way peeps can focus fire.

CW is rewarding when you win and a mother-in-law when you lose.

#24 PerfectDuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 328 posts
  • LocationLenexa, KS

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:03 AM

I know a lot of advice has already been thrown around but I like to say the fastest way to assemble a functional IS drop-deck is 35-35-85-85. You only have to master two chassis this way. Raven or Firestarter (Raven if you're interested in ECM support, or possibly the dive-bombing Huginn Hero mech, or Firestarter for reliable jump-jet capable laser builds and favorable hitboxes). And the decision of 85-ton assault rests between going for the mobility side (Battlemasters die by CT and can mostly get away with 80kph XL builds) or tanky side (Stalkers do good with STD engines and can take a bruising).

#25 Brut4ce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLand's End

Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:19 AM

TDR-5SS/TDR-5SS/TDR-9SE/WVR-6K or WVR-6R

DRG-1N/DRG-1N/TDR-5SS/TDR-5SS

Pretty much...

#26 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:31 PM

Well figured its time for a status update....

So far ive only dropped with my unit mostly so CW became alot more fun and less of a 48-3 fest
Some people might be annoyed with my current dropdeck, but i like it, its currently looking like this: Stalker 4N, Hunchback 4P, Hunchback 4G or J (depending on the map) and finally everyones favorite Thunderbolt 5SS.

You can hate as much as you want, but the HBK-4P is a great way to annoy clanners who try to take advantage of their higher range to shoot safely (they start ducking for cover and shoot my team mates alot less).

Thanks for all of your advices, they helped.

#27 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:01 AM

Congrats! Glad it all worked out. Still plenty more to learn of course, but that never ends. See ya on the field of battle. (or not, cuz timezones or something. Anyways, have fun.)

~Leone

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users