Gameplay

4 replies to this topic

#1 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:12 PM

Not just for this one, for anything about any tournament ever. If you do not remember, some will be listed under your Profile, go to Stats then Challenges.

Good
1 - Those tournaments with the random pulls whenever you get certain scores in modes X number of times.
2 - Needing to accomplish some goal per mode. Conquest appears the hardest to get but still better due to better chances of drawing it from 3 modes versus getting a map in rotation with all the choices.
3 - Challenges that encourage certain Mech use. Only problem here is it has been limited to certain variants (Resistance, Phoenix, Invasion, Champion, Hero). Not every variant has those markings and not every Mech was in a pack (What pack was the Vindicator in again?). We see sales based on faction where certain variants are up for sale, why not a Faction challenge where certain variants (not just specially marked or in packs only) are encouraged? Using more variants would also be good for data collection on Mech performance.
4 - Giving Consumables, CB and GXP rewards, really helps get some of those modules that are more commonly used now.
5 - Winning Mechs was OK, I just wonder if too much would devalue them or cause some other problem.
6 - Operation 24 and anything like it. Unique stuff that is only obtained through certain events, I see it in some other online games.

Bad
1 - Individual match scoring in a team game. Should switch over to a Team Score at least in the Group Queue, even the PUG Queue. Yes, I have had good teams in the PUG matches, using a group score requirement would keep that gameplay going. I am sure with all the data they collect, a minimum Group Score Requirement can be figured out. Using this recent one as an example, instead of 200-400 points per person thereby pitting people against each other on the same team, 2400 (200 x 12) - 4800 (400 x 12) for the whole team counts as a victory for each person on the team. If they want individual player scoring, have people do 1v1 Private Matches.
2 - Giving us Private Match feature then nothing to encourage use of it. We even have free Private Matches but nothing except the community to push its use though we have contests aimed at the PUG and Group Queues and, to a lesser degree, CW but nothing for Private Match. Time to learn from games like Star Fleet Battles.
3 - Tournaments with Assault or Conquest do not really reward for the cap mode. In Assault matches during this tournament, I had several where caps were done instantly thus providing a lower score. Conquest, if you are a Light or even a Medium and do what some expect, focus on caps, you get a lower score from doing no to little damage to the opposition. I even see Heavies and Assaults that spend more time capping to win that way (ignoring the usual argument about role) so they get a lower score.
4 - Not enough events like Battle for Tukayyid. You have capitals and other worlds of importance, I know PGI can probably NOT say schedule a Battle for Terra when it gets surrounded but there should be one at some point. Such battle do not happen the instant the world is surrounded, another thing to learn from games like Star Fleet Battles/Federation & Empire and other wargames.
5 - What happened to Win a Mech Bay? Died after 3 tries.
6 - Anything that favors IS or Clan, with balance being overhauled now for a long term (quirks redone followed by weapon balance then probably quirk tweaking), last thing needed is anything favoring one of these two as

Nuke It
1 - Needing to accomplish some goal on each map. Horrible due to map rotation, nice try to be different but horrible. This will only work under Private Matches and then you need at least 1-2 people with Premium Time active so they can select the maps and other details. Heck, I do not even know if there are people using that new Spectate thing.
2 - Having prizes with cash value (MC and Mech Packs) up for winners in contests in the Queues and CW. Once you put up real money prizes, you encourage certain behavior that mucks up the games. Look at all the complaints from Queues and CW. Better to do by Private Match only, let the real money prize chasers put some damn effort into getting what they want without messing up the Queues or CW. Let them play 1v1 since the manner cash prizes are offered rewards individualism more than team play.

Add yours.

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:18 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 22 September 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

3 - Challenges that encourage certain Mech use. Only problem here is it has been limited to certain variants (Resistance, Phoenix, Invasion, Champion, Hero). Not every variant has those markings and not every Mech was in a pack (What pack was the Vindicator in again?). We see sales based on faction where certain variants are up for sale, why not a Faction challenge where certain variants (not just specially marked or in packs only) are encouraged? Using more variants would also be good for data collection on Mech performance.

Vindicator was one of the last few mechs that wasn't pack related. It was sometime around the Firestarter (after it, I think), but before the King Crab (which wasn't in a pack, but is technically one of the last).

#3 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:21 PM

The original score amount of 300 and 400 with separate achievement tiers was actually great.

The map requirement for regular queue was silly, but not nearly as bad as the map requirement in CW. Spent 10 hours straight on CW drops last night for zero Sulfur matches. Being on a relatively underpopulated faction really didn't help.

#4 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:28 PM

I agree with everything except the "No MC" as a reward bit. MC as a reward that is enough for a mechbay or two one shot camo's is great. Why are they great? Simple, F2P players or players who don't have massively deep walets or impulse control problems are starved for mechbays and have to run around with the very (and far too limited) cbill colors. Seriously, PGI, give out more color's for events or have a good cbill palate.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,909 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:33 PM

View PostKrivvan, on 22 September 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

The original score amount of 300 and 400 with separate achievement tiers was actually great.

The map requirement for regular queue was silly, but not nearly as bad as the map requirement in CW. Spent 10 hours straight on CW drops last night for zero Sulfur matches. Being on a relatively underpopulated faction really didn't help.

yea cw was pretty bad. drastically altered my hours to get up with the euro crowd and was able to get a team together. of course that didnt get me my last map. sulfurous and forge were both being ultra rare. forge came up 3 or 4 times and i nailed the t1 level on the 4th try. sulfer came up many times but ended up getting farmed by ms most of those times. these are also the two maps that i didnt get t2 for. had they been less rare i wouldn't have been in panic mode for the last 24 hours of the event and might have even tried for the puglandia tiers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users