3 replies to this topic

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:44 PM

Switch the underarm mounts on the Black Knight to overarm. Not just to improve hard point placement, but to also make the arms better at shielding.

The mech could use a tiny buff.

#2 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:35 PM

TheArisen, would you please....

...put an actual information into your thread name next time, rather than reserving it to the contents? There's a reason why every thread has a name, don't you think?

#3 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:32 AM

Posted Image

This is the image of the Black Knight PGI used to sell the Resistance 2 pack.

This was the only image we had until just before the mech came out. This image shows a long barreled PPC on the side of the arm and a medium laser on the top of the arm. I can deal with the PPC not having the long barrel, PGI always messes that up and the look of the weapons almost never matches the concept art. (the gun on the top of the Marauder isn't going to look the art at all, it will be much smaller) What I can't accept is the bait and switch PGI pulled on us. That medium laser hardpoint is clearly on top of the arm, not slung below. The first arm weapon should go on the side, and the second one mounted should be on top. Instead we got the first arm weapon slung below the arm.

Why does that matter? Besides not delivering what they advertised with that image, it definitely affects the performance of the mech. If the weapons on the arms were on the side, or above, they would be roughly the same height as the torso weapons. Slung below the arm, they are noticeably lower. Not only does this mean you have to expose more of your mech when "hill humping", but if you are firing over the top edge of an obstacle, your torso weapons will clear, but your arm weapons will not.

If PGI is going to advertise a pack with a model based on concept art that shows weapons in a certain position, they should be in that position when the mech is delivered. By moving the arm hardpoints under the arms, it not only sabotages the mech's performance, it constitutes false advertising. I see it as just another broken promise from PGI.

I was hoping the BK would get decent quirks, to make up for being excessively tall and having low weapons mounts, but the quirks are disappointing. Not only that it gets CT cored way too easily because the enemy can always hit your CT, regardless of how much you torso twist, by shooting the mech's enormous head or the "backpack" that is exposed from the sides.

#4 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:27 AM

Well let's be honest...

The ART is SOOOOMUCH better than the finished look.. the mech is simply too skinny, the arm-mounted PPC isn't right looking.. and the whole mech is a bit to tall..

It still looks good though.. but it could have been so much better..

A pity..

Will still probably buy it though, when it's out for cbills..

And simply face it.. PGI has latelly produced some ugly, arm-stunted mechs, and just loves to low-mount arm weapons..

I submit the executioner and gargoyle as examples.. look at those nubs on the laser arms.. I'm simply forced to buy the 2x missle omnipod for the EXE just so I can have a hand, even it its empty of weapons..

But they are still good mechs..

WAR is an ugly affair... :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users