Theorizing On Tier Sizes And Matchmaking

8 replies to this topic

#1 Queen of England

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:06 PM

We don't have many details on the sizes of the 5 tiers or how the matchmaker works. I believe the only things we know are that its mostly based on match score, and that tier 1s don't play with tiers 4 or 5. Just as an experiment, I'm going to try to guess how it works.

I'm going to assume that the "1 doesn't play with 4, 5" is an example of a general rule, and that the matchmaker matches -2 to +2 tiers for any player. Since every player in a match is limited to plus or minus 2 tiers, any specific game can only include 3 tiers of player. (Since the rule is applied to each player, a game that included more than 3 tiers would violate the rule as the top and bottom tiers would be too far apart.)

That would mean that the possible games are:

1 2 3 "High Tier"
2 3 4 "Mid Tier"
3 4 5 "Low Tier"

If those three types of game aren't launching at about the same rate, the matchmaking times for tier 1 and tier 5 would be atrocious, since tier 1 and tier 5 players can only play in one of the three possible games. To keep those games launching at about the same rate, you need to have about 3 times as many tier 3 players as tier 1 (since tier 3 is included in every type of game) and about 2 times as many tier 2 players as tier 1.

So, my guess would be that the active player base would break down something like this:

Tier 1 - 11.1%
Tier 2 - 22.2%
Tier 3 - 33.3%
Tier 4 - 22.2%
Tier 5 - 11.1%

How does that sound to people? Does anyone have any information from the devs on how this system works that I've missed?

#2 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:55 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that T3 is a weird palce, because it means youc an be in high tier and in low tier. Which makes no sense at all.

Edited by Lily from animove, 22 September 2015 - 11:55 PM.

#3 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:20 AM

I think the peak is likely to be on T2. because this game does not have any influx of new players.... so it will be skewed towards T2 as the current players improve in their skills.

#4 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:38 AM

Maybe there are two peaks, T2 and T4, with roughly the same number in T3 as T1? That would mean there aren't so many T3 players with variable matches.

#5 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:41 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 22 September 2015 - 11:55 PM, said:

Am I the only one who thinks that T3 is a weird palce, because it means youc an be in high tier and in low tier. Which makes no sense at all.

You are not alone. That is odd.

#6 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:42 AM

I'd really love if there was a box you could check if you only wanted to play people in your own tier. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would prefer to wait a while longer in order to avoid players far above or far below their own level.

#7 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,991 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:36 AM

The size of the tier is not important

What’s important is if you will move between tiers, I theorize you will be able to go up but not down

You will only be able to move a little

For example if we were to digitize the tier system into numbers (just an example) +40 - 10 would be a range of movement

If your tier 4 you will never make it to tier 1, if your tier 1 you will never go down to tier 4

All computer controlled of course

The reasons are simple you can’t have players jumping around in different tiers the other tier 1 or 4 players will have a smaller pool of players to play against

If you run into another good game try not to complain too much someone might listen to you and really screw things up

#8 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:38 AM

Why not? You are average, and therefore able to play in any tier.

#9 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:48 AM

Yep, that's me in a weird place. :)

I will never be a good twitch shooter so I guess I should get worse to have decent games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users