guide psr

62 replies to this topic

#21 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:07 PM

View PostKhereg, on 02 October 2015 - 08:49 AM, said:

I have my suspicions/hypotheses on some of this. From another post, relevant portions bolded:

The problem with doing something like what you just copied/suggested is that new players would never be able to catch up because the numbers/spread would keep getting bigger. Really...PSR needs to not be so focused on winning & losing - it should still matter, just not as much, then PSR could be free to move up and down in approximately equal amounts based on player skill and teamwork rather than the XP bar grind we have now.

#22 Wayreth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:19 AM

What it really should be is how good a teammate are you and not pilot/luck/kill ratio driven. Did you leave your teammate high and dry? Did you cover your lance mates with ecm for the whole match? Did you just sit there and watch you team do the work?

This would be a far better use of metrics IMHO than anything else that has been presented by PGI.

Edited by Wayreth, 05 October 2015 - 08:19 AM.

#23 Jabakahn

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:52 PM

That's funny!!! I dont care who you are!

#24 Wayreth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:28 PM

View PostJabakahn, on 05 October 2015 - 05:52 PM, said:

That's funny!!! I dont care who you are!

Funny or not I will take 11 greenhorns who understand teamwork over 11 people who just have high KD ratios and could give a crap they left you high and dry any day of the week.

Edited by Wayreth, 06 October 2015 - 05:28 PM.

#25 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:37 AM

View PostWayreth, on 06 October 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

Funny or not I will take 11 greenhorns who understand teamwork over 11 people who just have high KD ratios and could give a crap they left you high and dry any day of the week.

I am your huckleberry. If a team mate needs help many times I end fighting beside them. If one enemy wants my attention or 4 it does not matter. Unfortunately altruistic behavior gets me dead and a crap score. Then again so does walking into a buzzsaw then telling my mates where it is, they get the gold mine I get the shaft as they nuke the other team. At least it is just a game.

#26 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:54 AM

View PostWayreth, on 05 October 2015 - 08:19 AM, said:

What it really should be is how good a teammate are you and not pilot/luck/kill ratio driven. Did you leave your teammate high and dry? Did you cover your lance mates with ecm for the whole match? Did you just sit there and watch you team do the work?

This would be a far better use of metrics IMHO than anything else that has been presented by PGI.

This rant sounds familiar.

Heard it almost verbatim on Tourmaline Desert on Sunday, I think. Funny. Heard it from some folks who obviously had no idea what I had been up to all match. Like the TBR and STK who were hiding from a single, isolated enemy CTF, and waited for me (and the ECM cover I WAS providing them) to lead by example. I got MDoK on that one, some other turkey got the K. You're welcome. No, when they got to spectating, they noticed I was all alone against ten enemies and making a cap run (assault). That's when they started paying attention, not earlier when I found and delayed that CTF and his two buddies (one a DWF) and designated targets for their LRMs (which they had in spades). ((PS- in an ACH that, by then had as many destroyed components as remaining SPLs.)) Consider also that dying doesn't cost match score points, and doing damage gains them faster than capping. But yeah, I was all about that PSR...

TL;DR- Be sure you know, I mean KNOW, what you're talking about when you criticize another player's game. Because the whiners rarely actually do know; they assume. And they usually suck at that.

Edited by TheRAbbi, 07 October 2015 - 11:12 AM.

#27 Wayreth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:36 AM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 07 October 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

TL;DR- Be sure you know, I mean KNOW, what you're talking about when you criticize another player's game. Because the whiners rarely actually do know; they assume. And they usually suck at that.

I don't think I was with you on that match my friend. I was posting that right after a guy who joined a match decided it was a great time to take a dump. Lost that match and the person in question was less than apologetic.

#28 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:40 PM

View PostWayreth, on 09 October 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

I don't think I was with you on that match my friend. I was posting that right after a guy who joined a match decided it was a great time to take a dump. Lost that match and the person in question was less than apologetic.

Roger. Might have come off accusatory. My bad.

S**t happens, sure. But you either hold it, or you do it before you drop. That's just crap.

Like, if I'm in a group, and I want to go to the bathroom or grab a fresh coffee, I'll fall out of group for one match. Worst case, if we're waiting on a CW drop, I'll ready up and be back ASAP. But leaving a team hanging, even in PUG, is just disrespectful.

#29 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:11 PM

What I would like to see, actually, is a percentage I'm at within my tier. If PGI doesn't want to share numbers, they don't have to, but if they could give a percentage on the tier line in my lobby, that would at least allow me an easier means of determining where I am and how much harder I need to work with my team, and alone, to get up to the next tier. As it is, I think I'm right between 66 and 75% of the tier, but my bar almost never moves; I know that means I need to work harder at being a team player, but some of that has to be reciprocated by my team and, at Tier 4, that's not happening all that much. Frankly, the European or Oceanic players actually have a habit of playing with more sense, and honorably, than North American players do. That's unfortunate, too, as I would have thought American players would at least share a level of honor but, in general, North American players are a bunch of dogs who will win at any cost, so my Tier remains equal, or lowers, more than 75% of the time when I play with them, as opposed to going up better than 50% of the time with Oceanic or European players.

#30 Monstertot

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:41 AM

i thing we do not need the exact numbers, as long they are not public there is always a way to adjust them if it comes to problems

but if we got the numbers and a adjustment takes place (just for 0.0001%) someone will figure it out and feel cheatedPosted Image - imagine the forum storm Posted Image

#31 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:22 AM

Interesting post. I have no clue how this is calculated, but I decided to play a few games and try to manipulate the results to show how high or low score you would need to change your Tier level.
And this is actually harder than one might think. I did not play all day, so these numbers should be considered temporary. I’ll update the post as new numbers are available.

An just to explain.
Win inc = The lowest score achieved while increasing rank in a won game.
Win same = High and low mach scores with no changes in a won game.
Win drop = The highest score achieved while still decreasing rank in a won game.
Loss inc = The lowest score achieved while increasing rank in a lost game.
Loss same = High and low mach scores with no changes in a lost game.
Loss drop = The highest score achieved while still decreasing rank in a lost game.
NA / Not available = I have no data yet.
X = No data needed.

So, the lowest match score I managed to get while still increasing rank when we won was 101, and getting a score of 477 increases my rank even if we loose. At 352 I'm at a stand still, thus the shift between the two would be somwhere in between.

PS: I’m T2. Don’t know if it matters, but it might.

Win inc
- High: X
- Low: 101

Win same
- High: NA
- Low: NA

Loss inc
- High: X
- Low: 477

Loss same
- High: 352
- Low: 256

Loss drop
- High: 238
- Low: X

(did not figure out how to make a table)

If you have better numbers on some of these, post them in the thread, and I’ll update the table. With enough data, we should be able to see just about where the changes are.
I do admit this is not super important, but it’s interesting enough.

Edited by Serpentbane, 18 April 2016 - 11:00 PM.

#32 An1m4l

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:37 PM

This system is dependent on team results. It's penalizing the lower tiers, and individuals that don't score over 400 damage in a match. We've all been on teams that have produced less damage, causing your skill ratings to fall.

#33 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:09 PM

Here's what I would like to see and, I think, it would be simpler to deal with than what they have, now...

We all know that Player Ranking per Match is figured for each match. Soooo, why not do this, instead...

Top 8 Match Scores go up between 1 and 8 points in PSR, with the very top match score going up 8 points, and the eighth highest score going up only 1 point.

Middle 8 Match Scores neither lose nor receive anything, they get the =.

Bottom 8 Match Scores go down between 1 and 8 points in PSR, with the very worst match score going down 8 points, and the eighth lowest score loses only 1 point.

Right now, I know for a fact that, as long as you score 150 or more points of damage in a winning match, you go up in your PSR, and I think the further away you are from that 150, the more you increase in PSR.

Right now, if you score less than 350 damage and your team loses, you are an =. If you lose, but your damage is 550 or higher, you still go up on your PSR. If you lose, and your damage is less than 350, you drop in PSR.

Anything else, and you drop in PSR.

This is not how it should be and, in some places, it is not. I had a game four days ago where I scored 702 damage and my score was 380 or 308, I don't remember, and I had two Killing Blows, one Kill Most Damage Dealt, and I gained 505 XP and received an = for the game. I had the second highest score and damage in the game, and I received an =?!?! There's something wrong, here. I already contacted Support to figure out what was going on, because I should have had a green up arrow, easily, and did not.

The system I have outlined, above, is elegant, simple and, with twenty-four combatants on the field and only three directions PSR can go, up, equals, or down, this would give folks a more accurate view of how they're doing.

... Excellent outline ...
Catalina, would you be so kind as to pass this on to the powers that be, please? Thank you, if you're able to do so.

#34 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:32 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 19 April 2016 - 03:09 PM, said:

Here's what I would like to see and, I think, it would be simpler to deal with than what they have, now...

We all know that Player Ranking per Match is figured for each match. Soooo, why not do this, instead...

Top 8 Match Scores go up between 1 and 8 points in PSR, with the very top match score going up 8 points, and the eighth highest score going up only 1 point.

Middle 8 Match Scores neither lose nor receive anything, they get the =.

Bottom 8 Match Scores go down between 1 and 8 points in PSR, with the very worst match score going down 8 points, and the eighth lowest score loses only 1 point.

Right now, I know for a fact that, as long as you score 150 or more points of damage in a winning match, you go up in your PSR, and I think the further away you are from that 150, the more you increase in PSR.

Right now, if you score less than 350 damage and your team loses, you are an =. If you lose, but your damage is 550 or higher, you still go up on your PSR. If you lose, and your damage is less than 350, you drop in PSR.

Anything else, and you drop in PSR.

This is not how it should be and, in some places, it is not. I had a game four days ago where I scored 702 damage and my score was 380 or 308, I don't remember, and I had two Killing Blows, one Kill Most Damage Dealt, and I gained 505 XP and received an = for the game. I had the second highest score and damage in the game, and I received an =?!?! There's something wrong, here. I already contacted Support to figure out what was going on, because I should have had a green up arrow, easily, and did not.

The system I have outlined, above, is elegant, simple and, with twenty-four combatants on the field and only three directions PSR can go, up, equals, or down, this would give folks a more accurate view of how they're doing.

Catalina, would you be so kind as to pass this on to the powers that be, please? Thank you, if you're able to do so.

While this could look reasonable at first, there are a few problems with this that breaks with some key elements that are important for this game, and actually should be extremely more important if PGI made the game right. Unlike other shooters MWO is not a game measured by the individual strength of each player, although the results are largely affected by those as well.

Team play is important and should be even more so. You do not win as individual players, but as a team. One could say the one not contributing to the victory should not get rewarded, however, determine who did what is not all that easy unless PGI moves into the trap of just focusing on measurable numbers, and in particular kills and damage. That focus is already too big, and even more would ruin the game. I do not want CoD with robots, I want a Battletech Mech simulator.

During a match, there are a lot of important ways to contribute to a victory that do not generate many points in terms of kills and damage that could still be more important to the team then the opposing teams key solo player. There are some really great spotters out there relaying good information on enemy movements that often saves the day. Some ECM mech players are really good at moving into positions where they are needed, to shield the team for incoming fire, or actually counter enemy ECM, instead of just using it as their personal shield. For this they get little rewards in terms of match points, and I could go on and on.

Flip the coin, it is possible to play this game and pump out lots of damage, or get several kills, but still play in a way at often draws the team towards a loss, or at least do not contribute much towards a victory. Those are the players often complaining on how others are noobs, but that we also see bolting off on a solo mission not caring for other than themselves, often to find the easy target that did a mistake or the enemies forgot about. Some even avoid targeting on purpose, they are afraid someone might throw a LRM volley and steal the kill. I’d say they do not understand the game.

This is why everyone doing anything to contribute to a victory should be rewarded, even if some players that should be are rewarded as well. Chances are they will be on the loosing team 50% of the time anyways. Good individual players have the opportunity to save their rank progress in a loss, but they would need to do over average to do so.

With this perspective, I feel this is working pretty much as intended, and this is how PGI should work on this game. They should actually make this more of a tactical mech sim, than this areana shooter MWO is becoming. Take a look at my thoughts on how PGI could make development progress in my signature.

I have gathered data for my post a few steps over this one lately, and the lowest match score I have managed to get while still increasing my rank is 477. Every match I have played with a loss and higher match score have lead to an increase. At 352 I got an =. So, I assume you need about 400 to increase with a loss.

#35 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:56 PM

View PostSerpentbane, on 20 April 2016 - 10:32 PM, said:

Team play is important and should be even more so.
Sorry, I had to stop you right here, and get out the largest ******** flag I have, and run it up the flag pole. I have played with folks who actually get along well as a team and, normally, that team wins the match. These actual instant teams are bloody few and far between. When PGI developed PSR, Paul said if you were moving from Tier Five to Tier One steadily, it was a direct result of your personal skill being interspersed with the personal skills of your other team mates and, thus, it was the team that was responsible for the win.

That load of crap reasoning has since been tossed out the window like a bucket of **** from the Orient Express, and dispersed in the wind so badly as to be the most ridiculous level of tripe I've ever heard.

I have heard story after story, and heard conversation after conversation, between friends on TeamSpeak, in various places I've read stories about the upper Tiers, and it is the most cut-throat, competitive, least team-work based environment you can imagine. There is far more team work at Tier Five than there is at Tier One, and I see the former and hear the latter pretty damned often. Even with that, the team work aspects I see in Tier Four, and as I prepare to enter Tier Three, are 95% non-existent. I now go into games to act as an individual, with the hope-based idea that I can actually help other individuals, so we might score a win, but there are no teams in PUG matches, period.

Having played in CW when it was first released into the wild, and for about three months after that, the same is true in Faction Warfare, I will guarantee it.

I will further explain that a Match Score is generated for the individual, while any change to PSR is generated as a result of the "team's" win or loss mixed with the score the individual gains through the game, but that PSR is not a true measure of Piloting and/or Gunnery Skill, but is -right now- a useless number that displays nothing concerning the skill of the individual. Mixing the skill of the "team" with that individual would require a proper baseline, which you CAN NOT achieve through a single drop, period. Were I to play with the same group of eleven other souls for an entire evening, at least ten matches, I could get a base line for working with THAT team, and then my team/individual PSR would begin to mean something.

PGI's efforts to try and get people to become more permanent teams, to play in Faction Warfare as Units, have all failed to this point, as the community is more me-centric than ever, everything is about individual awards through the game and rewards that can be purchased, but the team aspects developed by PGI are null. They wouldn't know what is required to put a team together if we told them... oh, that's right... this community HAS TOLD THEM multiple times what needs to be done to make this game truly viable as a BattleTech-based simulator, and THEY HAVE IGNORED US!!!

Do not defend them.

#36 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:25 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 20 April 2016 - 10:56 PM, said:

~snip

So, you suggest countering the problem with lack of team play with mechanics that results in even less team play?
I’m not defending PGI, nor am I saying the system is perfect. I do however think even more focus on K/D – DMG and individual performance moves us even further away from where we should be, and I won’t back that.
I also wrote that personal skills would have a large effect on the outcome. But, the result as a team should always be more important. As a good individual player mixed with players not as good as you, you efforts would increase the chances of a win. Additionally, being a lot better than the rest, you could also prevent a decrease, and even get an increase. And this is a good solution.

What you have heard I do not know, nor have I ever played below T2, but I get lots of matches where we play as a team, communicating with each others, paying attention to the mechs of team members, their load outs, and so on. Team play is not dead. However, there are also many players not getting the fact that the outcome of this game is hugely based on the total performance of the team. Instead of rewarding those players by adjusting the mechanics of PSR to fit that attitude, PGI should instead strengthen the team play mechanics of the game even more.

How things are on T1 I do not know, but I’m 4/5 trough T2, so I guess I’ll know soon enough. Even so, in every match I play with my thoughts on the total efforts on my team in mind, rather than my own performance. I do not care about my personal score, DMG og K/D-ratio. I have no problems with other people killing the enemy I primed, although I do tell ppl hiding only to move up and in front just to kill what I think about that kind of play, as this do not bring value to the team.

Now, doing your most to contribute as a team player is not the same as not preforming on a personal level. Since the start of the current stats I’ve done an average of 498,17 dmg per match. Taking only the mechs I’ve been using lately I average on 526,96 dmg per match. My average XP per match for all time is 1158,72. And I do this while always maintaining focus on the team. I don’t go after the damaged mech I’m sure to kill with that last strike, when I see a friendly struggling with a more undamaged enemy. That enemy I almost killed is sure to hold back, and if he don’t, well, me or someone else will surely kill him. Having my team mate equally damaged or killed by that fresh enemy mech however is a much bigger loss to the team than letting a severely damaged enemy mech live a little longer. Because, those numbers I posted is not the ones mattering. My 1,73 win/loss ratio is. This is the only number I really care about. For all I care, K/D ratio could be removed from the game. It only makes ppl do stupid **** on a personal level.

Match score are individual, sure. And you as a player are able to influence your score in the PSR greatly, even with a loss. No, PSR is not only a measure of piloting or gunnery skill, and nor should it be. I have played like 98% of all my matches as a solo player, and I can assure you that people dropping random can easily work together with the right set of mind. The biggest problem is MWO not emphasizing on the team play enough atm. The game do not focus enough on roles and tactical gameplay, and as I said is moving towards this arena shooter instead. If you truly want this to be a great team play game, and not just another Hawken, you will see that my points is valid. As I wrote, take a look at the thread linked in my signature. This is the direction I’d like PGI to take MWO.

Although, if you do want another Hawken. If all that matters is to drop and as fast as possible meat up with the enemy, playing solo amongst others but not as a team. If your prime concern is personal performance rather than the team as a whole, I do see your point, and we would just have to agree to disagree. As I say, even with some aspects of the game broken, I would not have it broken even more to reward players solely based on a personal number for number level. If this were the case, why should I save my friend rather than killing that enemy...

Edited by Serpentbane, 21 April 2016 - 12:30 AM.

#37 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:42 AM

First, allow me to apologize for the wall-o-text, but you bring up some excellent points, and I wanted to ensure I addressed those properly.

View PostSerpentbane, on 21 April 2016 - 12:25 AM, said:

So, you suggest countering the problem with lack of team play with mechanics that results in even less team play?
No. What I am recommending is that PGI remove many of the controls they have, now. For example, unless you pay a lot of money for MC, for two people, and then play in the woefully inadequate personal games, you are required to play with so many tons on each side, twelve people on each side for the drop, and there is no variation. My recommendation would be for PGI to remove tonnage and player limits and allow a pair of commanders to start a match and select their own tonnage. Better yet, why shouldn't PGI develop an MWO-Battle Value system and allow for buckets. Time limits... why? Get rid of them, let the commander's decide. Map and mode voting? Leave it to the notional commander's.

Failing that... allow the voting system to go back to maps only, and allow players to select the modes they're willing to play, again.

In essence, if there's going to be team-building, stop forcing it through obviously useless mechanics in the game, and let those who want to be in teams do their own thing. You might come back and say, but we have that, now, in the FW units queue; you don't have any freedom other than to hire or fire someone, and/or adjust their rank. Other than that, it's the same mess you have in the PUG queue, where you're nurse-maided through everything. You can't force teamwork, through mechanics or incentives, especially when those mechanics encourage individuality and non-conformance.

I’m not defending PGI, nor am I saying the system is perfect. I do however think even more focus on K/D – DMG and individual performance moves us even further away from where we should be, and I won’t back that.
Okay, then develop methods that PGI can use to encourage team work. The use of the incentives presently in the game, the culture of weekend tournaments, and their abortive efforts to force team work, have left team work in this game ashambles. It's unacceptable.

I also wrote that personal skills would have a large effect on the outcome. But, the result as a team should always be more important. As a good individual player mixed with players not as good as you, you efforts would increase the chances of a win. Additionally, being a lot better than the rest, you could also prevent a decrease, and even get an increase. And this is a good solution.
That's all fine, as long as mechanisms are in place to encourage team work and, I'm sure you would agree, right now there is not a whole lot of incentive for team work in this game. PGI are doing entirely the opposite, especially with PSR, which is why I recommended the 8/8/8 system I did. The current PSR doesn't tell you, unless you read into it -and there are far too many people who read into things way too much all the time-, what your issue is, why you're getting negatives all the time.

Look, if the enemy team has a few bad sticks in it, and a player scores just better than 150 points, but their team wins, they get a bonus to their PSR. They weren't a good team player, they were barely able to hold their own, right? Now, if I'm on the losing team, and I score less than 550 points, I get an equals; at less than 350, I get a down arrow. I was an excellent team player, perhaps my team had the greater portion of high match scores, but we still lost, so all of us get equals or down arrows.

Please, tell me why the bad stick on the enemy team gets an up arrow at such a low match score and/or damage, and I get worse than they do?

With the system I proposed, above, if I were in the middle eight scores and got an = for it, that would be an easy indicator to me, and a means within the game for setting me, with the right team. Those who get higher scores and up arrows all the time have simply not found the right Tier for them, yet, and are not fighting with the right teams for their individual skills, as yet. I would go so far as to say the system is not fair, right now. It is a far-less true showing of someone's skill and team work values than what I proposed, above.

What you have heard I do not know, nor have I ever played below T2, but I get lots of matches where we play as a team, communicating with each others, paying attention to the mechs of team members, their load outs, and so on. Team play is not dead. However, there are also many players not getting the fact that the outcome of this game is hugely based on the total performance of the team. Instead of rewarding those players by adjusting the mechanics of PSR to fit that attitude, PGI should instead strengthen the team play mechanics of the game even more.
Agreed, which is why I proposed the system, above. It would only be a part of the mechanics that need to be modified to incentivize, without all the fancy presents and giveaways and tournaments, players to play as part of the team.

As for how I've heard about how things are on Tier's one and two... I've witnessed it for myself. Every so often I'll play in Tina Benoit's relatively new podcast, where she gets together with Paul Inouyie, Zoeff, Aranzor, and several others who are, in general, Tier 1 or 2, and plays against other Tier 1 or 2 players. I played just yesterday. Our teams were generally charlie-foxtrot in one location, with the enemy buzzing all around us; yesterday was a good day, and I managed to get my fair share of kills and moderate-low damage. The people in Tier's one and two are, typically, insane in their 'Mech builds, how they move, how they fire and how accurate they are, but they are not playing as a team. They simply don't have time to issue orders and see them done before the area they wanted to issue the orders for is clear of combatants, already.

For clarity, if your definition of a team is that you back up your buddies, you focus targets, and you win, that is a very narrow definition, indeed. In a military sim, like MechWarrior Online, there are to be orders given and followed, teams rotate and work together in more than just backing one-another up.

Now, this brings me to a point to back up what I was saying in this post, above... I know for a fact, now, that I can play against Tier one and two players, and yet I am virtually stuck in Tier four. My bar is sitting in the 4/5 range, just above the right-hand side of the second I in the word MINIMIZE. With my system, since I now score an average of 500 points per match, gain 1 solo kill every other match, have 3 kills most damage dealt every match, and anywhere from 2 to 6 savior kills per match, I would be halfway through Tier 3, by now. The problem is that there is no true way to tell, except for that up arrow, whether you're proceeding up the scale or not, because you could have a match score just above 150 on the winning side and go up, but if you're on the losing team and your match score is below 350, you drop. That is simply not right.

Take the top 8 match scores, make them a +, the middle 8 match scores, make them a =, and the bottom 8 match scores, make them a -, and then you'll begin to see things shake out the way they should. As players improve, they'll truly begin to move up the scale and into higher climes, while the current system will barely allow them to move.

...although I do tell ppl hiding only to move up and in front just to kill what I think about that kind of play, as this do not bring value to the team.
This shows up in their match score, actually. Kills are not worth as much as the damage done to an opposing 'Mech, which I know you already know, so your priming of them is worth more points than the sneakers will get, which means with my system they would either remain where they are, or descend into a lower Tier until they learn how to play forthright.

To make my case with another point... you might play with a group of folks in a match but, again, there is no base-line to establish whether it's team play or not, so people play as individual's with a common goal, rather than a team. However, regardless of the match outcome, your PSR belongs to you and to you only once you're out of the game, and the group with a common goal who is not a team does not share your PSR, period. Your PSR is then measured, by Tier at least, and I think by which portion of the PSR within you're Tier you're on as well, against the PSRs of other players who may play like crap but remain within the PSR Tier you're in because you, and others like you who work, bring them their with you. You are holding them up, enabling them indirectly, and that is NOT teamwork. The current system is really unfair, and what I just explained, more than anything else I've said, is why.

Now, doing your most to contribute as a team player is not the same as not preforming on a personal level. Since the start of the current stats I’ve done an average of 498,17 dmg per match. Taking only the mechs I’ve been using lately I average on 526,96 dmg per match. My average XP per match for all time is 1158,72.
Here's another reason to have my system in place, instead... if you're doing an average of 526-7 damage per match, and you're Tier 2, then I should be up in Tier 2 as well, as I average about the same as you do. I have at least three matches a week -and I'm not able to really play more than 25 - 30 matches per week- where I score 750 or above. So, why am I Tier 4 and you're Tier 2? That's not right, and it's not fair, especially since I keep getting held back by teams who play like ****.

And I do this while always maintaining focus on the team. I don’t go after the damaged mech I’m sure to kill with that last strike, when I see a friendly struggling with a more undamaged enemy. That enemy I almost killed is sure to hold back, and if he don’t, well, me or someone else will surely kill him. Having my team mate equally damaged or killed by that fresh enemy mech however is a much bigger loss to the team than letting a severely damaged enemy mech live a little longer. Because, those numbers I posted is not the ones mattering. My 1,73 win/loss ratio is. This is the only number I really care about. For all I care, K/D ratio could be removed from the game. It only makes ppl do stupid **** on a personal level.
Agreed. And, of course, you've made my case even more for my 8/8/8 system. Now, as for almost-dead enemies, you leave those for the LRM guys to finish off and go help your buddy against the lesser damaged 'Mech.

Match score are individual, sure. And you as a player are able to influence your score in the PSR greatly, even with a loss. No, PSR is not only a measure of piloting or gunnery skill, and nor should it be. I have played like 98% of all my matches as a solo player, and I can assure you that people dropping random can easily work together with the right set of mind. The biggest problem is MWO not emphasizing on the team play enough atm. The game do not focus enough on roles and tactical gameplay, and as I said is moving towards this arena shooter instead. If you truly want this to be a great team play game, and not just another Hawken, you will see that my points is valid. As I wrote, take a look at the thread linked in my signature. This is the direction I’d like PGI to take MWO.
You and I are, actually, on the same sheet of music with much of this, and the reason I recommend my 8/8/8 system is because you have broken players who get crappy match scores but are gaining in their PSR because they are being carried by the team. You also have team play guys, such as you and I, who are being held down because of the crappy play of these other folks. 8/8/8 would easily eliminate that and would help teams who are actually working together to focus on team-play, rather than hiding, dodging, not maneuvering, balling all up together and not fighting. The current PSR system does NOT encourage team play, it passively encourages individuality because of HOW PGI has calculated the math to work.

Although, if you do want another Hawken. If all that matters is to drop and as fast as possible meat up with the enemy, playing solo amongst others but not as a team. If your prime concern is personal performance rather than the team as a whole, I do see your point, and we would just have to agree to disagree. As I say, even with some aspects of the game broken, I would not have it broken even more to reward players solely based on a personal number for number level. If this were the case, why should I save my friend rather than killing that enemy...
Again, I work for the team, but the PSR is by the individual, period, and sometimes the team holds back the individual whose performance was superior, and rewards those whose performance, whether for the team or as an individual, was garbage. By changing PSR to calculate the way I'm expressing it should calculate, you're more rapidly moving people on the PSR scales by Tier in the directions they should be going, and you're encouraging team play for those who are in the same Tier and within the same region of the scale for that Tier, simply because people who work similarly on battlefield, are more apt to work as a team and, rather than being concerned about carrying the team, perhaps even becoming jaded because that's all they do, they can relax and have more fun working together with like-minded folks.

This is when you would see some Worldwide Tournament action on a game-by-game basis, even from the lower Tiers.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 21 April 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#38 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:52 AM

Any word on the player tier pyramid (or whatever shape it really is?)

#39 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:42 AM

View PostPeiper, on 22 April 2016 - 12:52 AM, said:

Any word on the player tier pyramid (or whatever shape it really is?)

Not as far as I know. I'm not even sure if it's a pyramide shape at all.

#40 Henric Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 109 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationYork II

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:01 AM

PSR is an unnecessary statistic. Moreover, I have found it promotes dissension more than anything else. Aye, even promotes snobbery. Now it is being used to to berate players who havent played in awhile, are new, or what have you.

The last thing you need in a community is something that causes dissension, divides the player base, or causes disruption. I believe that PSR should be abolished, personally.

Edited by Nekhron Kirov, 26 April 2016 - 10:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users