Erppc Black Knight

36 replies to this topic

#21 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:12 PM

I tried them on the R variant, you're better off with ERLL, tonage and heat wise which means more damage over time. Use the tonnage for small lasers and heatsinks, you just stay at the same heat but more damage.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 24 September 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#22 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:36 AM

View PostGrisbane, on 24 September 2015 - 04:33 PM, said:

pretty sure this is the primary build on most black knights now..
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...616b6aae74f8d2e

it's heat efficient, has an ok alpha and works with the low hardpoints.. oh, and it fits EVERY variant.... hey look, the black knight is the first IS omni.. but it doesn't need omni-pods........

That is one thing I do really like is how the hardpoints are pretty much the same across the 3 I got. The mech handles very well, it is fun to pilot. I do find myself having to find places to fight from but in the open or flat ground, it's a decent mech.

Here is what I have been running for the extra range, ams, and I wanted to see what I could do with a standard engine. It is slightly slower than the XL builds, but it's tankier and it's weapons have good reach. 350m ML's and 800m erLL's. I run the 6B with the -Energy Heat Gen quirks with XL360 5mpl 2lpl and 1 ams (same weapon locations 2 lpl in the RA, shield LA).

BL-6-KNT STD325 w/ AMS 2erLL 5ML 19DHS

Edited by AlphaToaster, 25 September 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:39 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 23 September 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

the quirk is 10 % less heat... so if Im not wrong thats 13.5 heat for a weapon that does 10 damage and has shitprojectile speed.

Youre still better off running a biger xl engine and running large pulse lasers since youre running less heat and more damage . I know thay decided they hatebig quirks but if they want ppl using weapons like IS ERPPC then they HAVE to go big with the quirks ir it doesnt work. 1.5 heat is lol worthy

Not great, but also PP-FLD on a somewhat not durable mech.

Don't know If I buy LPL being the end all be all for the chassis.

#24 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostRagnar Bashmek, on 24 September 2015 - 03:24 PM, said:

That's really sad, the Black Knight was a pretty good mech in the old PC MW's and I was looking forward to their release. PGI could screw up an iron ball with a rubber hammer.

Skol,

Ragnar

If they had jump jets then at least they could fill the role they had IN MW -.-

View PostSignal27, on 24 September 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

You can thank whoever's decision it was to write that into the original BattleTech tabletop rules about 30 years ago. Then you can thank everybody who thought it was their duty to adhere to that in every iteration of MechWarrior since. And if you have any time left, you can write a big thank you to all the fans of the franchise who wouldn't have it any other way.

Hey that'd be the guy who's making that 3050 BT game that everyone is drooling over

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 September 2015 - 07:39 AM, said:

Not great, but also PP-FLD on a somewhat not durable mech.

Don't know If I buy LPL being the end all be all for the chassis.

pretty sure this is the primary build on most black knights now..
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...616b6aae74f8d2e

it's heat efficient, has an ok alpha and works with the low hardpoints.. oh, and it fits EVERY variant.... hey look, the black knight is the first IS omni.. but it doesn't need omni-pods........

like that you mean?

#25 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:06 AM

hey look, the black knight is the first IS omni.. but it doesn't need omni-pods........

What ? The Black Knight was never an Omnimech. ( Then again, if you really want to be stuck with a 300 rated engine and locked structure * shrug* )

What you remember is the "Black Knight" frankenmech from MW4 Black Knight. I thought it was common knowledge that "that" mech was cobbled together by the Colonel in charge of the merc outfit in question. The thing had omni slots, jump jets, BAP and ECM. The legs didn't even match and that shield thing was bolted on ffs ! It was one of a kind.

Come to think of it, that's probably why some of you ever even dreamed the Black Knight would be a match for the Timber Wolf... because that's exactly why Cyberlore made it that way for the MW4 expansion...

----------------------------

Back on topic, besides the huge CT ( which happens to make the mech quite XL friendly in a "what worse could possibly happen? " kind of way ), the Black Knight ®'s quirks make it so stuffing the thing with ErLL drops you 7 whole meters short of Clan ErLL range. That's quite acceptable in my eye. I run one with 3 of those and 5 mediums to good effect currently ( with basic skills unlocked )

#26 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:33 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 23 September 2015 - 10:38 PM, said:

It's mostly handwavium designed to balance the extra heat of ERPPC in TT as it allows you to drop a few of the backup weapon in favor of more heat sinks. Frankly I still prefer normal PPC in TT with enough ML+SRM back up weapons for when someone gets close (and to crit seek).

So, gameplay designed by crumps.

:P

#27 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:46 AM

13.5 heat for ERPPCs is well worth what they do.

#28 Christof Romulus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 898 posts
  • LocationAS7-D(F), GRF-1N(P)

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:49 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 23 September 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

Then there is no reason to call it Extended Range PPC, is there? Instead regular PPC should retain the shorter range but can fire at point blank, while ERPPC should fire at longer range but with minimum range penalty. The velocity of them need to be buffed further to make them a better sniper weapon. They need to be good weapons without relying on quirks. Hell, all weapons need to perform in their ideal situation without relying on quirks.

Right now it is lasers, lasers and... a Gauss or two.

Hmmm your post has given me some ideas. Some GREAT ideas... I shall design the first mech to use Gauss rifles and... lasers... yes... YES! You people are never going to see it coming!

#29 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:45 AM

Went against one last night in my Warhawk. All he did was shut down.... Easy pickins!

#30 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,396 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:36 PM

I present you with the ERPPC Black Knight.

Posted Image

#31 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:40 PM

View PostAmsro, on 25 September 2015 - 12:36 PM, said:

I present you with the ERPPC Black Knight.

Posted Image

Unfortunately, that's on the "7" variant, and is better with a regular PPC.

Frankly, using any sort of PPC on the BK is a wasted effort unless you're running the "7" variant.

#32 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 25 September 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

Unfortunately, that's on the "7" variant, and is better with a regular PPC.

Frankly, using any sort of PPC on the BK is a wasted effort unless you're running the "7" variant.

Better is subjective.
For me the PPC doesn't make any sense, need the 800m range, once you get closer you have 3 large lasers, after that 4 medium lasers.

The heat is great if you don't use the ERPPC once in close. The high mount makes ERPPC useful.

Edited by Amsro, 25 September 2015 - 12:58 PM.

#33 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:04 PM

View PostAmsro, on 25 September 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

Better is subjective.
For me the PPC doesn't make any sense, need the 800m range, once you get closer you have 3 large lasers, after that 4 medium lasers.

The heat is great if you don't use the ERPPC once in close. The high mount makes ERPPC useful.

It's waaaaay too hot.

The ERPPC doesn't benefit from any sort of quirks AFAIK (although IIRC some PPC quirks translate to the ERPPC, but not vice versa) and the loadout screams for more heatsinks. Essentially if someone were to challenge you (and it's not hard to take down a Butter Knave), you'd be screwed.

This is what I'm running, based a more reasonable output of damage and cooling...
BL-7-KNT

#34 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:29 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 25 September 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

It's waaaaay too hot.

The ERPPC doesn't benefit from any sort of quirks AFAIK (although IIRC some PPC quirks translate to the ERPPC, but not vice versa) and the loadout screams for more heatsinks. Essentially if someone were to challenge you (and it's not hard to take down a Butter Knave), you'd be screwed.

This is what I'm running, based a more reasonable output of damage and cooling...
BL-7-KNT

Yeah yours has a more manageable alpha, but that's not how I play. The build I have works great for me. Good luck trying to change my mind.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users