Here Is An Easy Way To Improve Your Performance In Game.

Achievements Gameplay Loadout

17 replies to this topic

#1 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:16 PM

Since threads about PSR, tiers, and performance had sprung up like mushrooms after a rain, I'm here to give my own advice about how to do better in your games without doing pretty much anything extra.

Equip BAP/CAP. Yeah, that's it. It gives tons of benefits for you and your team with a very little cost. I might miss a few pros, so you guys can fill in the rest.

1. It extends your radar range, allowing you to scout and shoot enemies before others in your team does. Since Paul said this:

PaulInouye: Flanking, spotting assists count for quite a bit in terms of match score.

You have more chance of raising your rating if you are the one who gets all the scouting--my BAP equipped Atlas can attest to its effectiveness in earning scores and C-Bills. And you can do more flank attacks if you notice the enemy from further away.

2. It helps your team to find out the pesky snipers shooting at you from beyond 800 meters. Lets face it, getting hit without knowing where the shots are coming from is demoralizing for the team--consequently your team might stall or, flat out retreat--especially on a cluttered map such as Forest Colony or Viridan Bog. Being able to detect the enemy will help your team to shoot back at the sniper, or sic a couple of Lights on him.

3. It counters ECM in a 240 meter radius. Everyone knows this, but they do not appreciate just how good that is. Forget an LRM boat, even to a brawler it is a great boon, as the mech you are brawling might be under ECM umbrella, thus immune to your team's LRM support fire. Well, you just took that away, and suddenly you have an advantage. You team can see him on the screen and can help you snipe his arse.
More importantly, BAP/CAP takes away the ECM cloak the enemy UAV has, allowing the guys behind you to notice it instantly and shoot it down. That is vital in a close range fight, as a single good UAV when ignored, can dictate the flow of the battle. And it gives you "Counter-ECM" bonus, which means more score and C-Bills.

4. It reveals the enemy paper doll 25% faster. Which is huge as long as one pays attention to it. Rounding up a corner and seeing a Direwolf is intimidating, but suddenly it will look like a paper tiger to you if you find out that it had spent all its UAC ammo. BAP/CAP can literally help you to make a split second decision to Fight-or-Flee.
The effect gets compounded the longer the distance is between you and the enemy, as lock time gets progressively longer. Before you charge towards that AWS-8R 400 meters away, it is really helpful to know whether it is the traditional LRM boat, or the SRM spamming Honey Badger that will eat you up in close range.
Naturally it will also reveal the loadouts for ECM mechs within 240 meter radius--something that is impossible to see without a TAG or UAV. Which will help your team as well.

All these goodies are packed in just 1.5 ton and 2 slot for BAP, and mere 1 ton and 1 slot for the CAP. (that needs to be balanced) My current favorite ride BLR-3S couldn't be more happier with the BAP, than one extra DHS and few points of armor. So yeah, try it out.

PS: I know some say certain mechs do not have enough weight/slots to mount it, but I have not piloted such mechs so I can't give a good feedback to that.

PPS: If a 'Mech has both BAP and ECM installed, BAP's counter ECM feature gets overwritten by ECM. So the 'Mech will only get the increased sensor range, the decreased target info acquisition time and the ability to target unpowered 'Mechs. So you have to toggle CECM manually to cancel enemy ECM.

Edited by El Bandito, 24 September 2015 - 05:43 AM.

#2 SolCrusher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 611 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:32 PM

You know, you have a good point. I never really considered putting BAP on everything. Is CAP that Clan version? I may need to spend a few million space bucks and put BAP on every mech I have. 1 ton of ammo and 1/2 ton of armor is much to lose same with 1 heat sink.

My friend you are onto something. I always put BAP with SSRM and Missle boats so why not do it with all my brawlers. Ah man you may help me raise out of tier 3 with just that.

Now only if I had a bazillion space bucks for all the weapon / mech modules. I still fight without Modules but I have 79 mechs or so.

LOL, just did the math I have exactly enough Cbills to buy BAP for every single mech I own. $31,600,000

#3 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:49 PM

Yes, CAP is the Clan version and functions the same as BAP. Both basically allow you to have the Target Info Gathering and Sensor Range modules in one. Pretty good deal.

And you really should invest some of your space dollars into Seismic Sensor Module. It is a VITAL module to have, that cannot be replaced with skill.

Edited by El Bandito, 23 September 2015 - 08:52 PM.

#4 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:57 PM

BAP is good especially if you are a brawler (cancels out ECM on things you brawl) and a slow Assault because it knocks out light ECM and allows your team to target them and give LRM support. Some light mechs also do not like their ECM being cancelled so they will not facehug you if you have BAP.

As for consumables, since this is a performance and not a c-bill farming thread, I'd often go with UAV + Coolshot 9x9 (unless you're doing a Dual Gauss mech or something). The moment I get a Dire in my face I pop Coolshot almost immediately so I can at least take as much of it down as I can. Most mechs can only alpha enough to strip the CT armor of a fresh Dire but it'll have structure left and you'll be at heat cap, 9x9 lets you get that extra alpha in to take it down.

Edited by Elizander, 23 September 2015 - 09:00 PM.

#5 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:28 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 23 September 2015 - 08:16 PM, said:

PPS: If you mech already packs an ECM, then don't equip BAP as it will cancel your ECM.

wait, wut? I agree with everything but this would be new for me. Afaik BAP won't counter a (second?) ECM if you have both but that's it. You can use both together with no problem.

#6 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:37 PM

View Post627, on 23 September 2015 - 09:28 PM, said:

wait, wut? I agree with everything but this would be new for me. Afaik BAP won't counter a (second?) ECM if you have both but that's it. You can use both together with no problem.

You are right. If a 'Mech has both BAP and ECM installed, the counter ECM feature gets overwritten by ECM. So the 'Mech will only get the increased sensor range, the decreased target info acquisition time and the ability to target unpowered 'Mechs. So you have to toggle CECM manually. I will edit it now.

#7 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:16 PM

I have a question for you guys: let's say i have a spare 1,5 tons.
Do i equip BAP or AMS+1 ton ammo?

#8 mike29tw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:18 PM

And I thought this post is going to tell me how to raise my FPS with some secret tweaking......

#9 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:33 PM

Would it suprise you I never ran BAP before?

But i do put AMS on all Atlas. Against streaks, srms and missiles. I need all that armor i can hold instead of BAP.

Perhaps considering to put BAP with all the ECM.

Edited by Sarlic, 23 September 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#10 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:37 PM

I can appreciate BAP/CAP for what it is, but I've only used it on streakboats (until SSRMs of all things were nerfed...lol) and direct fire snipers. Pretty much every other mech I have needs its speed, ammo, heatsinks, etc and it's not really worth giving up the tonnage & slots for BAP/CAP.

That said, I have sort of wondered about this laser sniper build and whether or not CAP is actually better, but it seems like TC Mk 1 is still better even if the bonuses it does have are kind of small.

#11 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:48 PM

View PostTheCharlatan, on 23 September 2015 - 11:16 PM, said:

I have a question for you guys: let's say i have a spare 1,5 tons.
Do i equip BAP or AMS+1 ton ammo?

Depends on how much LRMs one encounters in his level. I usually never see LRMs in any significant quantities so BAP for me is better choice than AMS.

View PostSarlic, on 23 September 2015 - 11:33 PM, said:

Would it suprise you I never ran BAP before?

But i do put AMS on all Atlas. Against streaks, srms and missiles. I need all that armor i can hold instead of BAP.

Perhaps considering to put BAP with all the ECM.

Since you are T1, I doubt you will need any extra help to perform well. BAP is very underrated in general though.

Edited by El Bandito, 23 September 2015 - 11:52 PM.

#12 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:02 AM

Paul says a lot of things, but the #1 usage of BAP is always countering ECM when using Streaks (and maybe LRM, so they don't auto-jam you).

That's it.

#13 Cpt Jason McCarthy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationSomewhere ...

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:27 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 23 September 2015 - 08:16 PM, said:

Yeah there is a way. Buy a Gaming Mouse with adjustable DPI aka sniper button, like Proton ...

#14 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:25 AM

I should try that BAP trick on my executioner..

Maybe it would help.. you never know.

#15 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:31 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 23 September 2015 - 11:48 PM, said:

Depends on how much LRMs one encounters in his level. I usually never see LRMs in any significant quantities so BAP for me is better choice than AMS.

Since you are T1, I doubt you will need any extra help to perform well. BAP is very underrated in general though.

I don't give a crap about tiers. ;)

Point is i think for battlemechs with lower armor BAP is more useful because they can add up with speed.

For *slow* Assaults i prefer going AMS. (Except for the lower tonnage Assaults with has speed)

Edited by Sarlic, 24 September 2015 - 02:57 AM.

#16 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:56 AM

steal moms money
buy WANG = Profit

#17 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:02 AM

I really must put BAP and CAP on my mech, thanks for reminding me.
Perhaps with that I will be able to get to tier 3

#18 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:41 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 24 September 2015 - 03:02 AM, said:

I really must put BAP and CAP on my mech, thanks for reminding me.
Perhaps with that I will be able to get to tier 3

And ruin your perfectly fine sig? :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users