Black Knight Builds And Vids

54 replies to this topic

#41 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:31 PM

So how have the BKs changed since the new Quirkening?

#42 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:09 PM

View PostDulahan, on 19 December 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

So how have the BKs changed since the new Quirkening?

I honestly don't pay much attention to quirks unless its in line with what I want to do. I can't tell any difference, but I haven't played much CW since then and that's what i have them set up for. Pretty well the only time I play them and I always take 2-3 of them in my deck. They are great for pushing clanners into overheat, couple of my builds are decently cool running so can handle the hotter cw maps but still give incredible dps.

#43 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:42 PM

I've been pleasantly surprised lately. I played a few rounds in mine when they first came out and couldn't stand it, but after the hitbox tweaks and the re-quirking I gave it another shot and, shockingly, found that I wasn't awful at heavies anymore. Still not good at them, but at least able to pull my own weight. I'm still probably gonna wind up with that one Knight that I drive, and that one Hopper that I drive, with all the rest collecting dust because I'm too busy with lights and mediums... but at least I don't feel quite as bad about springing for R2 anymore. If I could just find a Mauler build I'm happy with now, that'd be perfect.

This is the build I've been using on my BL-6-KNT. It's got a 320 engine stolen out of one of my Zeuses right now, but I've been having good enough results that I think I might actually buy my Knight a shiny new 325 of its very own to keep installed. I tried XL, but that was no bueno.

#44 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:54 PM

View PostPS WrathOfDeadguy, on 19 December 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

I've been pleasantly surprised lately. I played a few rounds in mine when they first came out and couldn't stand it, but after the hitbox tweaks and the re-quirking I gave it another shot and, shockingly, found that I wasn't awful at heavies anymore. Still not good at them, but at least able to pull my own weight. I'm still probably gonna wind up with that one Knight that I drive, and that one Hopper that I drive, with all the rest collecting dust because I'm too busy with lights and mediums... but at least I don't feel quite as bad about springing for R2 anymore. If I could just find a Mauler build I'm happy with now, that'd be perfect.

This is the build I've been using on my BL-6-KNT. It's got a 320 engine stolen out of one of my Zeuses right now, but I've been having good enough results that I think I might actually buy my Knight a shiny new 325 of its very own to keep installed. I tried XL, but that was no bueno.

The 7 has 3 mounts in the right torso, the highest 1 is right under the chin, making it the variant with the highest 2+slot mount.
Posted Image

and this is how you stack it to get the big one in the right spot.

Posted Image

This is my favorite variant and usually my 1st drop, it barely nudges out the 7L, speed is life even in a heavy. If it looks like we are going in fast and hard I'll run the 7L 1st.
Those are the 2 most often in my deck, depending on the map I'll swap it out for this.Posted Image

It has a generous 20% energy range quirk + 10% from the erll range mod, I can outrange almost every clanner. Man they really hate that. Heat rating is 1.31 which is pretty good for a BK. Fire in pairs .5 sec apart and no ghost heat. The optimal range is 878m, not sure how the max is figured but just adding 30% gets it out to 1755m. I love it when they stand still at 1300-1400m thinking they're safe, hit em with an alpha and watch them Jam the throttle open looking for a rock to hide behind. Figure Im still doing half damage at that range.

Not sure if Sensor range and ccons stack together but I get locks at 960m. The zoom boost means I can target components at over 1km with ease.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 19 December 2015 - 07:56 PM.

#45 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,897 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:31 AM

Joe,

I run my 6B nearly the same as your R variant: EDIT: screen shots not showing...so a description:
XL350, CCOM, Beagle, 4 ERL, 4 SML, near full armor, AMS.

I wanted 2 of the ER lasers in the arms for better flexibility. I use 4 SMLs as filler to get the ERs in the highest positions. I also run a beagle for even better sensor performance.

I saved the R for my SPL boat...I wanted to maximize the 20% range bonus for a weapon that really needs it. 8SPL with a std 350 is great even on Vitric. No significant heat concerns and with range boost you can fire all day on most maps. Occasionally I switch out the SPL and boat ML instead and just split them up between arms and body firing groups. Runs hotter but better range.

The 7 is probably my best all around std engine BK build. I like the higher mounts for PPCs and all the rest SPL for when the brawl starts. STD 300, AMS, Beagle, 2PPC, 7SPL, near full armor.

My last BK is the 7L which I run with the max XL 385 and 8 MPL.

As to Dulahan's question above, I think they perform a lot better now...not so much because of weapons quirks but because I believe the changed the hit boxes on the torsos. BKs feel much more tanky now and so I don't feel too bad running XLs. Great mech.

Edited by Bud Crue, 22 December 2015 - 07:35 AM.

#46 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:11 AM

I definitely also feel an improvement after both the hitbox revamp and the structure quirk changes. Since the BK can now tank much better I felt the need to change my builds to allow for sustained fighting.

BL-6-KNT

This is more or less the same for all of my BKs now, substituting the twin AMS (double or nothing imo) for either extra SLs/DHSs or a bigger engine depending on the variant. Not to mention, moving from LLs to PPCs decreases the amount of time needed to poke and even further increases survivability.

#47 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:13 PM

I forget about this thread because I only have 2 heavies.

@Bud Solid builds, I just have a thing for max XL, it really pays off on the 7L, nothing like chasing down mediums that just want to be somewhere else.

@Emporer I've ran 2 erppc in the 7 with a ml padding the bottom, just don't have great luck with them. Can't bring myself to run the ppc because of the min range.

#48 Too Tall Kowalsky

• Pip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:39 AM

Joe,

I find the slower projectile speed to be the biggest draw-back for the standard PPC. 90 meters is a lot closer than you might expect in practice. With the lower heat per shot, you can more freely open up with your secondary weapons should someone keep inside your minimum range - you'll be running cooler by the time they close distance. I've always found having one to two more shots from my standard PPCs pays off more often than the extra range and no deadzone of the ER. Again, though, slower projectiles (without quirks) can sometimes exacerbate PPC hitreg problems.

#49 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:00 PM

I really want to use the PPCs and I can see your logic. When I am in a fun mood I do that. Posted Image

As I am a BattleTech-fan I have to ask this: do you use the BAP? In the lore, the BK does, at least two of our versions. But I am not sure if a Mech based on direct fire energy weapons really benefits from it...

#50 Too Tall Kowalsky

• Pip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:42 AM

I still have a BAP on the special Resistance BK, as I haven't revisited its load out since the ECM and quirk changes. But with all MLAS, 2 AMS, and a BAP, it was great support for an assault lance. 8 MLAS for keeping harassing mediums and lights at bay, double AMS for shielding your slower companions, and the BAP to keep them firing when that ACH or Pirate's Bane get too close. I'll probably keep the setup the same, but with smaller ECM bubbles, it's not nearly as easy for one light to shut down targeting for a full lance so that ton and a half might go toward heat sinks or a larger engine.

#51 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:10 PM

Interesting. Perhaps I underestimate the support-feature of the BAP. (And you are certainly right about the dual AMS - that is a shield. I once was in a lance with a total of 6 AMS, and no missile came through despite constant raining).

#52 Colonel Clunge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 104 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:10 AM

Not played my Knights in a while so was interested to see some new ideas in here. Noticed a lot of XL builds in here. When I first started with themthey seemed very XL UNfriendly - has it really changed a lot following the re-balance?

Also, while I don't do this with other chassis, preferring to focus on either long or short range weapons, I seemed to be most successful when I mixed weapons sets. So dual ERPPCs with 4SMPLs or dual PPCs and 4 MPLs for example. I started with some MPL boat builds and found I was getting chewed up really quickly and that was with a STD 300 engine so swapped in some long range weapons - I would stay on the periphery with the long range weapons and then later in the round move closer to bring the pulse lasers to bear.

Does the knight brawl really well now to do you still need to play it like a medium - strike then get the hell out of there?

Similar to others have had success with a 4 Large laser build - shyed away from the ERLL because of concerns over heat - is it manageable?

Cheers

#53 Garfuncle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:43 PM

2ERLL + 5ML works great in my experience. I use this build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...322f8054439deb6

Have to be mindful of heat. Always bring coolshot.

#54 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:50 PM

View PostGrayson Sortek, on 24 September 2015 - 08:54 AM, said:

I think I'll be watching this thread closely. Trying to figure out the role of this thing and how to make the different variants truly unique.

The build i found best so far was 8 x ML's on the BL-6-KNT, with a 350 std engine in and 2 x AMS and the rest as DHS. Fast, tough and packs a lot of firepower with decent range if you count the quirks + ML range mod. Runs cool enough too, especially if you alternate between arm and torso lasers.

With AMS overload mod as the 2nd weapon mod, it also denies most missile strikes.

Edited by Fade Akira, 19 January 2016 - 01:51 PM.

#55 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:48 PM

View PostColonel Clunge, on 11 January 2016 - 06:10 AM, said:

Not played my Knights in a while so was interested to see some new ideas in here. Noticed a lot of XL builds in here. When I first started with themthey seemed very XL UNfriendly - has it really changed a lot following the re-balance?

Also, while I don't do this with other chassis, preferring to focus on either long or short range weapons, I seemed to be most successful when I mixed weapons sets. So dual ERPPCs with 4SMPLs or dual PPCs and 4 MPLs for example. I started with some MPL boat builds and found I was getting chewed up really quickly and that was with a STD 300 engine so swapped in some long range weapons - I would stay on the periphery with the long range weapons and then later in the round move closer to bring the pulse lasers to bear.

Does the knight brawl really well now to do you still need to play it like a medium - strike then get the hell out of there?

Similar to others have had success with a 4 Large laser build - shyed away from the ERLL because of concerns over heat - is it manageable?

Cheers

I ran the R and 7L this morning to finish out the event. The R packs an xl360, 3 LPL and 3 ML. The LPLs are in the arms and the ML in the torsos.

The 7L packs an xl385 2 LPL and 4 ML. LPL in torsos and the ml spread.

Both are more what I would call Hunter/Killers. Use the speed and run with smaller mechs and work the flank.

Here is 1 from this morning on bog

Spoiler

Big fast mech with a nasty punch in tight cover is about as brawly as it gets.

Here is another I had to cap because of what map it was on, also from this morning
Spoiler

Alpine freakin Peaks in a mid range mech. We corralled them off one at a time and it was over so fast for each they had no time to cry for help.

Why I keep mentioning these are from today is they are from the same sitting, not best of. This mech is a consistent performer in this role. Chase down loners and murder them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users