Why Is Anyone Unhappy With Being In My Teir?

28 replies to this topic

#1 Foxfire kadrpg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:18 PM

Do you want to play football ('Murican or otherwise) with Superman™?

Hello, Foxfire the Tier Four scrub here,

In one of the matches I had in the Tier 4 bucket, another player mentioned something to the effect that he was somehow being forced to use meta. I am paraphrasing, but his sentiment was thus: somehow he made the connection that the new PSR tiers were somehow trying to funnel him into a way he did not wish to play.

Now let's think about that, for one moment. This player seemed to think it should be his goal to reach "top tier" and that his means of doing so was a discomforting dogma that he would have to adopt or fail.

Ladies and gentlemen, being in the top tier does not confer greater CBill rewards. It does not unlock mechs or paint schemes you could not otherwise obtain. It is simply an assessment of your average performance in a number of behaviors that PGI is tracking.

Whether or not those behaviors are ones you think merit recognition does not matter.

It does not matter so long as you are grouped with players who exhibit the same statistical behavior.

Want to spend each match experiencing a different mech and layout? Keep at it, and you'll end up in the tier where players spend each match experiencing a different mech and layout.

Want to play drunk off your ass? Keep playing drunk off your ass, and you will end up in the tier that statistically has more drunk-off-ass pilots.

I began this post by asking if you really wanted to play a sport in which one of your opponents was superman. Do you really need to be put on a field or pitch with a flying space alien capable of crushing steel girders to feel good about yourself? Personally, I'd prefer to be put in whichever league is populated by like-capable persons, and from my observations, the new PSR system is doing that, quite nicely.

#2 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

B-b-b-but, I can't feel validation about my hobby unless I'm THE BEST at it!

Edited by Signal27, 24 September 2015 - 12:23 PM.

#3 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:24 PM

I'm with you man! I'm T3 on the brink of T2 and I've seriously considered sandbagging (wouldn't though 'cause... Tiers? Who gives a crap?) because I like where I am so much right now... It feels like I'm playing with other people that, on average, are about as good as me :o
I play against the Tier 1s... They are better at this game than me... Playing against them all the time would stink. Embrace your tier! For all the complaining, I think PGI actually did a pretty good job of placing us where we will have the highest potential to have fun. Working as intended...

#4 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:25 PM

amen

but if you're not tier 1, how can you make threads flipping off "all your haters?"

#5 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:27 PM

View PostcSand, on 24 September 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

amen

but if you're not tier 1, how can you make threads flipping off "all your haters?"

LOL! That guy has a small... tolerance for negative feedback ;)

#6 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:30 PM

The only legitimate reason to want to be in a higher tier is having a better chance of getting better players on your team in solo matches.

I have more fun when the other players on my team carry their own weight and are good at teamwork and coordination.

Edited by Death Proof, 24 September 2015 - 12:31 PM.

#7 Foxfire kadrpg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostTyler Valentine, on 24 September 2015 - 12:24 PM, said:

I'm with you man! I'm T3 on the brink of T2 and I've seriously considered sandbagging (wouldn't though 'cause... Tiers? Who gives a crap?) because I like where I am so much right now... It feels like I'm playing with other people that, on average, are about as good as me :o
I play against the Tier 1s... They are better at this game than me... Playing against them all the time would stink. Embrace your tier! For all the complaining, I think PGI actually did a pretty good job of placing us where we will have the highest potential to have fun. Working as intended...

With all the above said, and I agree with, I would like to add the caveat that I am trying to advance to tier 3. I do not think the designation will mean anything, but from what I understand, Tier 4 is also the entry level tier, meaning new players (or accounts). I am not trying to spurn new players, but any new player is going to introduce an element of chaos, that I think detracts a bit from my own experience. Also, it's just fun to look at a system and see if you can understand it. Rewards 2.0 taught me to Charge straight ahead at the very start of matches, and go to known lance spawn locations to 'scout' enemy mechs before returning to the herd.

#8 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:37 PM

I can sorta see where's he's going but it doesn't make sense.

No one is forcing you to do anything, you can play as you want but as you go up, you'll be seeing more and more meta stuff.
You can still play as you want as you go up but you'll be at a disadvantage.

That player also seems to be under the impression that he HAS to rank up when he doesn't have to.

Just gona say that you usually get more quality matches in the upper brackets since the people there are usually experienced players....... usually.

#9 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:38 PM

Unless they make credit payouts tier reliant then it doesnt mean anything. Literally. Although i guess having better allies and opponents could effect rewards.

I havent changed the way I play since this has been added or the mechs I use.

Also who even cares about credit payouts to much until some high end content is added to the game.

The big question is will rewards be tier based later? Its definately a possiblity.

Maybe a tier 1 player with premium time and cred bonus mech(these need a proper designation) will make 10x the amount as tier 5 no bonus player. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 24 September 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#10 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:47 PM

View PostTyler Valentine, on 24 September 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

LOL! That guy has a small... tolerance for negative feedback ;)

I hate that by talking about it we're just giving said user attention

but basically I can't resist openly making fun of such a huge DB

#11 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:56 PM

I'm fine in my tier of 3.

I might drop to tier 4 leveling new mechs but I'll get back up again once they're been elited.

Then I'll join a unit and roll pugs all day in group queue to get up to tier 1.

#12 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

I hate to sound like a bastage, but....

I'm tempted to sandbag and stay in tier 3. Strongly. I'm running around a 1.5 win/loss and earned over 6 million cbills pugging the last 2-3 days. It's amazing, I'm a bit worried that I'm going to roll up a Tier and suddenly I'm going to flatten out again. It's not about group queue, it's about the pug experience.

This is easier money than cw. By far.

#13 Corbenik

• The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:15 PM

They are mad because they aren't as good as they thought they were, so the butthurt is enormous.

#14 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:16 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 24 September 2015 - 01:02 PM, said:

I'm tempted to sandbag and stay in tier 3. Strongly. I'm running around a 1.5 win/loss and earned over 6 million cbills pugging the last 2-3 days. It's amazing, I'm a bit worried that I'm going to roll up a Tier and suddenly I'm going to flatten out again. It's not about group queue, it's about the pug experience.

It's really not going to make much of a difference going from 3 to 2. The biggest difference would be from 4 to 3. 4 and 5s never face 1s, but 3 on up will. So your games will already be seeded with everything from 1s to 5s I think, just not in the same game, and that won't change until/if you hit Tier 1. At least that's my understanding.

#15 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:25 PM

If you're having tier acceptance problems I feel bad for you son. I made 9 million C-bills 'cuz I ain't tier one.

Viva la tier five!

#16 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:38 PM

If I want to spend all my time being the best at something, you can bet it'll be something real that pays my bills. If I want to have fun shooting internet robots while drunk then I will not be attempting to do it perfectly. I get that some people only enjoy tier 1, and I wish them well with that, but personally I like the more varied and interesting experience you get from testing your steering wheel skills against other drunks in experimental mech builds.

I won't be deliberately tier climbing.

#17 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:41 PM

View PostFoxfire kadrpg, on 24 September 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

Do you want to play football ('Murican or otherwise) with Superman™?

Hello, Foxfire the Tier Four scrub here,

In one of the matches I had in the Tier 4 bucket, another player mentioned something to the effect that he was somehow being forced to use meta. I am paraphrasing, but his sentiment was thus: somehow he made the connection that the new PSR tiers were somehow trying to funnel him into a way he did not wish to play.

Now let's think about that, for one moment. This player seemed to think it should be his goal to reach "top tier" and that his means of doing so was a discomforting dogma that he would have to adopt or fail.

Ladies and gentlemen, being in the top tier does not confer greater CBill rewards. It does not unlock mechs or paint schemes you could not otherwise obtain. It is simply an assessment of your average performance in a number of behaviors that PGI is tracking.

Whether or not those behaviors are ones you think merit recognition does not matter.

It does not matter so long as you are grouped with players who exhibit the same statistical behavior.

Want to spend each match experiencing a different mech and layout? Keep at it, and you'll end up in the tier where players spend each match experiencing a different mech and layout.

Want to play drunk off your ass? Keep playing drunk off your ass, and you will end up in the tier that statistically has more drunk-off-ass pilots.

I began this post by asking if you really wanted to play a sport in which one of your opponents was superman. Do you really need to be put on a field or pitch with a flying space alien capable of crushing steel girders to feel good about yourself? Personally, I'd prefer to be put in whichever league is populated by like-capable persons, and from my observations, the new PSR system is doing that, quite nicely.

QFT

You sir, are genius.

The title should really be PSA: Be Proud of Your Tier.

Can I print this out, frame it, and hang it in my mechbay?

#18 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:45 PM

I played a bunch of matches today. All servers in assaults when it was low percentage. All Modes. Shortest wait was two minutes.
Longest was eight. Had Terra 4 times in a row.

All I see is Tier ones and twos out there. I'm tier 3. And I was asking my teammates.

I have come to the conclusion that most lower tier guys just don't bother with the TTK the way it is and after the disastrous tourney.

I think PGI has done a two step into oblivion with this mess now.

Now of course the usual suspects will counter with they never get the same map twice and their wait times are less than 10 seconds so this is just what I see.

#19 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:00 PM

View PostFoxfire kadrpg, on 24 September 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

With all the above said, and I agree with, I would like to add the caveat that I am trying to advance to tier 3. I do not think the designation will mean anything, but from what I understand, Tier 4 is also the entry level tier, meaning new players (or accounts). I am not trying to spurn new players, but any new player is going to introduce an element of chaos, that I think detracts a bit from my own experience. Also, it's just fun to look at a system and see if you can understand it. Rewards 2.0 taught me to Charge straight ahead at the very start of matches, and go to known lance spawn locations to 'scout' enemy mechs before returning to the herd.

Ahhhhh...I see. Use this and I'll see you in Tier 3 in a few days ;)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...23bdb109b4cf26a

#20 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:10 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 24 September 2015 - 01:02 PM, said:

Trust me man i feel you...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users