So, Battletech. Thoughts?

98 replies to this topic

#81 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:02 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 27 September 2015 - 02:53 AM, said:

So I'm thinking more apt comparison is a TT Battletech game using elements of the PnP Mechwarrior RPG system to expand the game out of the mechs, but with big stompy robot action remaining the focus.

I like to think of it as this:

Posted Image + Posted Image + Posted Image

With equipment from this:

Posted Image

And that's really all I ever wanted :)

#82 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,270 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:41 AM

View Poststjobe, on 27 September 2015 - 04:02 AM, said:

I like to think of it as this:

Posted Image + Posted Image + Posted Image

With equipment from this:

Posted Image

And that's really all I ever wanted :)

Actually, what you will probably get is going to be more like this:
;)

Posted Image

#83 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:04 AM

I have CHI & CHR its abandon ware these days..
In fact I have CHI running on Dos box as we speak, and I am raking in the C-bills by doing nothing at all, just letting it sit and collecting money.

as to the kick starter, I could have sworn I read that it was by the very creators of BT itself.

JW was iirc the one who actually started BT back when it was first called Battledroids.

#84 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:54 AM

View Postmartian, on 27 September 2015 - 04:41 AM, said:

Actually, what you will probably get is going to be more like this:
;)

It's all good, but TRO:3039 is not going to be there. (Edit: Had a quick leaf-through of the book, most of the stuff is good for the timeline).

The game's set in 3028 at the latest:

I will say that the backdrop of whatever happens in our game will be the canon you’re familiar — for example the Davion Steiner wedding is being planned.
(source)

And that wedding takes place August 20th, 3028.

View PostVinJade, on 27 September 2015 - 05:04 AM, said:

as to the kick starter, I could have sworn I read that it was by the very creators of BT itself.

JW was iirc the one who actually started BT back when it was first called Battledroids.

It is. Harebrained Schemes is Weissman's company, and he, of course, is the co-founder of FASA and the co-creator of BattleTech.

Edited by stjobe, 27 September 2015 - 06:06 AM.

#85 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,270 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:12 AM

View Poststjobe, on 27 September 2015 - 05:54 AM, said:

It's all good, but TRO:3039 is not going to be there. The game's set in 3028 at the latest:
(source)

And that wedding takes place August 20th, 3028.

Sure, but almost all 'Mechs from TRO:3039 can be in the upcoming BT game (with some exceptions such as for example Hatamoto-Chi and Daboku from 3038-39).

On the other hand, TRO:3025 misses many downgraded and retconned Star League 'Mechs that were produced (or available) during the Succession Wars. Those designs are in TRO:3039 and they can be in the upcoming game too.
On top of that, TRO:3039 includes "new" 'Mechs that were unveiled in 3020s, such as Cataphract or Raven. Again, for example those new Capellan designs are not in TRO:3025.

#86 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:17 AM

View Postmartian, on 27 September 2015 - 06:12 AM, said:

Sure, but almost all 'Mechs from TRO:3039 can be in the upcoming BT game (with some exceptions such as for example Hatamoto-Chi and Daboku from 3038-39).

On the other hand, TRO:3025 misses many downgraded and retconned Star League 'Mechs that were produced (or available) during the Succession Wars. Those designs are in TRO:3039 and they can be in the upcoming game too.
On top of that, TRO:3039 includes "new" 'Mechs that were unveiled in 3020s, such as Cataphract or Raven. Again, for example those new Capellan designs are not in TRO:3025.

Yeah, I was going from memory, and it turned out I was wrong. I've already edited the post while you were writing yours.

Also, I never said it should be only TRO:3025. I'm on-board with anything and everything up to 3049, when the BattleTech timeline halts as far as I'm concerned ;)

#87 BigBucket

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 95 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:22 AM

I have played through all of Harebrained Schemes Shadowrun games, really enjoyed them, and will definitely be backing this project.

#88 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,270 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:41 AM

View Poststjobe, on 27 September 2015 - 06:17 AM, said:

Also, I never said it should be only TRO:3025. I'm on-board with anything and everything up to 3049, when the BattleTech timeline halts as far as I'm concerned ;)

PGI and HBS are sharing 'Mech models:
1) Currently, MWO includes 38 Inner Sphere BattleMechs.
2) Mauler is from 3048 and its predecessor Daboku is from 3038*. That's 37 'Mechs.
3) Both upcoming Wolfhound and Crab were available in 3028. That's 39 'Mechs.
4) Marauder is going to be added in December. That's 40 'Mechs.
5) The next year PGI might add "Unseen 'Mechs Package". That would be 4-6 more 'Mechs available for the HBS' game. We are on 44-46 'Mechs.

If I count correctly, HBS is going to have slightly less than 50 'Mechs available for their game. That's not bad.

* Who knows, if the upcoming game is successful, perhaps HBS will create some expansion pack "War of 3039" with Daboku and Hatamoto-Chi.

#89 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:46 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 26 September 2015 - 08:05 AM, said:

Depends on the features. I want in depth salvage and at least some logistics.

Also price point-to-feature will be a factor. MegaMek offers obscene amounts of features for no cost.

Would be pretty amazing if they took Megamek and basically added a 3d environment to it with MWO art.

#90 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:49 AM

View Poststjobe, on 27 September 2015 - 02:47 AM, said:

See my post further up this page, with quotes from this interview. It's not going to be "Megamek with 3D graphics", it's going to be a lance-sized mercenary company open-ended campaign set in 3025, with heavy RPG aspects as well as 'mech combat.

Either/or sounds good to me!

#91 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:57 AM

A little off-topic, but if anyone wants to easily play The Crescent Hawks Inception again or play it yourself, this link here allows you to play it in your browser. Still think the browser version of Dosbox is pretty nifty.

There's Revenge somewhere on that site too.

#92 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,270 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:04 AM

View PostDingo Red, on 27 September 2015 - 06:57 AM, said:

A little off-topic, but if anyone wants to easily play The Crescent Hawks Inception again or play it yourself, this link here allows you to play it in your browser. Still think the browser version of Dosbox is pretty nifty.

That's great, thanks!

#93 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:14 AM

View PostTractor Joe, on 26 September 2015 - 07:05 AM, said:

PGI is backing Battletech not just with models and art but are now organizing a 0 hour Alpha Strike money bomb to fund it.

My thoughts,
I played TT some when I was a kid, read a few of the books, totally obsessed with the 1P Shooters.
I still enjoy boardgames, play with my kids, but Im just not into turn based pc games.
I like shooters above all else, that's why I rank Mech4 Black Knight as 1 of the greatest games of all times. Up until recently I kept an old xp machine around just to play it from the discs.

I love Battletech Universe. It is one of the best fleshed out Universes in scifi, so I want to support the new game even though I won't play it. I see it as an investment in the BT Universe as a whole, might help the budget of a movie if there are multiple games going with the Creator involved.

So yeah Im going to throw some cash at this.

Thoughts? Opinion even?

I played my first PC game in 1980 I am not up to speed on things because I got tired of dumping $65 on bad games

I do understand a little about the evolution of how thing unfolded

In other words first person shooter games took over because a lot of the other types of games where crap

I need a better definition of a turn based PC game
Anyone want to help an old guy out?

Anyway my gut reaction is it’s not a good idea
You’re missing the point of having a computer (that is you don’t have to take turns you can have things real time)

You see in old table top games you would start the sequence of play as your turn then you spend an half hour looking up the rules and then the other person would get there turn

All the while all your maneuvers and strategy is right there for everyone to see (you just had to imagine things were happening at the same time)

I played a lot of Book case games (you guys call them table top games) and the big what ifs
Of these games were

Too bad this is not real time
Too bad we can’t computerize all these rules
Too bad we can’t convert this game to a computer game

Anyway my thoughts

#94 DrKronic

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

I've really enjoyed the 3 shadowrun games that HBS has made, I never backed those, but I think I will back this battletech game I've enjoyed what they've made so far.

#95 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:30 PM

lol so much PGI hate. Oh those millennials, so butthurt about everything. Not tolerance or patience for fleshing out balance and features. The struggle is real.

#96 Kraftwerkedup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:33 PM

View PostSable, on 27 September 2015 - 12:30 PM, said:

lol so much PGI hate. Oh those millennials, so butthurt about everything. Not tolerance or patience for fleshing out balance and features. The struggle is real.

3PV #neverforget

PGI and this community is like Israel and Palestine.

3,000 years can pass between Moses and Sandy Kofax, but neither side will ever forget the transgressions.

Edited by Kraftwerkedup, 27 September 2015 - 12:34 PM.

#97 Xyroc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 855 posts
  • LocationFighting the Clan Invasion

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PostPrecentor Martial Jarcaddy, on 26 September 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

I am going to support it for sure. Any traction for the Battletech/Mechwarrior universe is good traction.

MW tactics? =p

#98 Finn McShae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

I liked how HBS handled Shadowrun, I want a closer option to the TT game.

Megamek w/better graphics and a campaign sounds great to me. I will likely back.

#99 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:29 PM

View PostDingo Red, on 27 September 2015 - 06:57 AM, said:

Thank you for this...it's wonderful.

Under a day for the announcement...Soon™
Shame I won't make the first one. I hope there's a transcript.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users