17 replies to this topic

#1 Homeskilit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 523 posts
  • LocationFlanking

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:21 AM

Sometimes it is necessary to perform a fighting retreat but it is really difficult to move backwards while fighting when you do not know what is behind you (mainly small obstructions on the ground). Having a camera/view you can switch to really fast would help greatly, especially as an Assault mech dealing with nascar tactics.

Edited by Homeskilit, 26 September 2015 - 11:23 AM.

#2 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

I'd settle for a reversing bleep thing like you get on vans that becomes a constant tone if you're close to something.

#3 Homeskilit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 523 posts
  • LocationFlanking

Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:25 PM

If you are under fire and returning that fire it might be hard to hear a beeping sound, especially if your heat override is on.

Edited by Homeskilit, 26 September 2015 - 04:25 PM.

#4 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:21 PM

With as much whining as I seen from people who didn't like this type of idea before I don't ever see it happening.

you will find to many light/ecm users whom will be against you on this.

#5 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:03 PM

I don't get the arguments against this idea.

Some people have said it'd stop the ability for lights to sneak up on the rears of assaults. Gee, what are we playing here, a class-based FPS or a giant 'mech game? It's not like people are going to be using the rear view very often. Makes sense a 'mech would have rear facing cameras, and previous MW games have had it. Hell, you could even throw a static filter over it to limit its range/accuracy.

Also seen both players and the devs saying it'd be too hard to do due to in-frame rendering. But that's only if a rear-view camera was implemented in a seperate window, all it needs to be is a key that reverses the camera angle and hides the cockpit mesh... in fact I'm not even convinced that the cockpit meshes have rears.

So yus, I would like this, a lot. :)

#6 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:15 PM

It'd be really nice to have a "camera" switch type of view, that shows you a view from the docked 3RD person drone.
I dunno about the beeping sound... we're not fork lifts... and really, no one should be that close to you anyways.

Front view (normal view)
Posted Image

What drone rear view would look like
Posted Image

#7 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:00 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 26 September 2015 - 07:15 PM, said:

Posted Image

This! :D

#8 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:14 PM

I have nothing against it at all, and would love to have this, I fell off a ledge once because I was backing up and trying not to bounce my Adder off of my Ally in an Atlas's leg and next thing I know off I go and my already badly mangled legs went out from under me and I got a negative for killing myself....

And I designed my Adder so I couldn't ever over heat even with ghost heat.

point is I would not have went boom had I been able to see behind me.

but yeah the main people I seen against this was ECM/Light mech users.

They almost nearly blew a few heat sinks last time someone brought up wanting to be able to see behind them.

Edited by VinJade, 26 September 2015 - 08:15 PM.

#9 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:40 PM

View PostVinJade, on 26 September 2015 - 08:14 PM, said:

but yeah the main people I seen against this was ECM/Light mech users.

They almost nearly blew a few heat sinks last time someone brought up wanting to be able to see behind them.

Lol yeah, the kinda people who get all up in arms are just being naturally defensive to change.
The main idea is so that you can see where you're going while backing up, or what's behind you. I had an enemy jenner power down directly behind my atlas just as I crest to see his whole team staring at me. I couldn't even back up. I caught on pretty quick, and it wasn't that bad, but for a new player that would be extremely frustrating.
But apart from seeing what's behind you, you can't target, you won't have a HUD, and you can't even fire backwards... So, really, the ECM/lights who get angry about that and fail to see the more meaningful benefits are just upset because it invades on their ECM LL raven or SRM vomit huggin cheapiness. They don't have an argument. And next time they blow some heat sinks, just chuckle at their nerd rage and keep supporting the idea! :D

#10 Homeskilit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 523 posts
  • LocationFlanking

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:43 PM

View PostDingo Red, on 26 September 2015 - 07:03 PM, said:

previous MW games have had it.

Yeah i was pretty sure MW4 and its accompanying titles had it but it has been a while so i was not exactly sure. Did not want to say it did and be wrong.

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 26 September 2015 - 07:15 PM, said:

Posted Image

That is perfect, props to you my friend!

#11 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:18 PM

Yeah, at the very least I know MW 3 - 4 had the ability to see behind you.
it took up the whole screen while holding a button but it only showed what was behind you as if you was looking through a grainy screen.

Edited by VinJade, 26 September 2015 - 10:18 PM.

#12 Homeskilit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 523 posts
  • LocationFlanking

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:54 PM

Oops, sorry, hit something while backing up

#13 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,668 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:34 PM

PGI has previously stated there are technical reasons as to why we can not have an alternate view. It falls in the same manner as to why extended zoom is simply an enlargement of base zoom and not redrawn screen.

Personally I would have preferred the ability to look up/down/sideways/rear but not as a secondary window but as an actual full view. Then take away the twist amount and allow only arm mounted weapons to fire.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 28 September 2015 - 08:36 PM.

#14 Homeskilit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 523 posts
  • LocationFlanking

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:09 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 28 September 2015 - 08:34 PM, said:

PGI has previously stated there are technical reasons as to why we can not have an alternate view. It falls in the same manner as to why extended zoom is simply an enlargement of base zoom and not redrawn screen.

Personally I would have preferred the ability to look up/down/sideways/rear but not as a secondary window but as an actual full view. Then take away the twist amount and allow only arm mounted weapons to fire.

Interesting, thank you for your response, i was unaware of PGI's statement on the issue. I am curious whether it was a game engine issue or a coding issue on their part though.

Edited by Homeskilit, 28 September 2015 - 10:10 PM.

#15 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:27 PM

let's hope it is a engine reason instead of coding as we had it on the PC games so it would be nice to know which it was.

#16 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:24 PM

View PostVinJade, on 28 September 2015 - 10:27 PM, said:

let's hope it is a engine reason instead of coding as we had it on the PC games so it would be nice to know which it was.

PGI needs to update their instance of CryEngine 3 to a more recent release in order to support picture-in-picture, but they aren't ready to do that. If I recall correctly, it's in favour of keeping support for DirectX 9 hardware. I could be wrong (not looking up sources ATM).

#17 Homeskilit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 523 posts
  • LocationFlanking

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:16 PM

Thanks Hornsby, so if they ever do update the engine we can expect to get this feature!

#18 boxbox

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:49 PM

They could make it a special sensor module. Only 3 big ones... Plus a slot... and a skill... :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users