Throttle Decay Stuck On In Academy

10 replies to this topic

#1 Random Wanderer

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:23 PM

This issue happened to me and the entire group that I was playing with the other night. Basically, even though we have throttle decay disabled in our settings, as soon as we started the tutorial that brings us into the academy, the mech acted like throttle decay was still in effect: slowing down the instant we released the acceleration key. The setting is still marked as disabled when we go into our settings to check. I have tried turning it on, saving the settings, and then turning it back off and saving, but that did not make a difference, and the mech still acted like throttle decay was still active.

I cannot get it to turn off. I don't even see a use for it as a function, personally, but I would just be happy at being able to make my mechs stop slowing down on their own.

#2 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:32 AM

Throttle decay is stuck on - in the entire Academy level, or just in the basic section?

Does it affect multiplayer games?

#3 TarkaTarquol

• PipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:40 AM

I had this issue, but it only persisted for the basic tutorial. Once I loaded into the free-roam Academy, my settings were as they were.

As such, I do not believe this does affect multiplayer.

#4 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:23 AM

It's locked on for the basic section to simplify things for a new player who typically would be more used to controlling through throttle decay, and to simplify the tutorial itself, which can only effectively cover a fraction of what it takes to play the game.
Same reasoning applies to armlock.

I figured experienced players would not be hampered much since they can just use the numpad throttle settings, or do the challenge through the Academy itself.

#5 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

I reported this during the PTS to some discussion.

Don't make the assumption that people would be used to this setting due to other games (COD, Halo etc) I never play any of those types of games and my previous experience of MW never had the option (or if it did I never used it). The option should be functional across the whole game IMO and let the player decide whether it is useful or not.

#6 Random Wanderer

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:19 PM

View PostDave Forsey, on 27 September 2015 - 01:32 AM, said:

Throttle decay is stuck on - in the entire Academy level, or just in the basic section?

Does it affect multiplayer games?

Apologies for the delay in replying. I've been away.

I cannot speak for multiplayer, as we were each using the academy separately at the time. However, this issue persisted past the basic section into the part where we could choose different mechs.

The thing about throttle decay is that it would not truly make things simpler for people used to other games. For most people who play most first-person games, releasing the button that makes you go forward causes you to STOP dead. Not slow down and come to a stop after several seconds. Most simulator-style games that use a meter that shows how much energy you're putting into forward acceleration opposing how much you're putting into backwards acceleration are designed so that you keep moving either forward or backward at the speed you set until you choose to alter that speed. Something like throttle decay would actually be pretty rare, in my experience, and of very limited utility.

#7 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:55 AM

I just discovered the Academy (good idea PGI!) and proceeded to work through it, when I noticed the same thing.
Throttle decay is stuck on. I've never used throttle decay for any MW title.

I didn't realize that throttle decay was popular, but I can certainly understand if I am in the minority. I've got no issue with it turned on by default, but how about giving us the ability to turn it off in the Academy if we choose to?

Take a look at this thread:
http://mwomercs.com/...-weapon-groups/

The topic is only loosely related to this one, if at all, but look at the answer given. The response takes the stance that PGI isn't going to rebind keys for us, and assumes that we will know how to do that ourselves. That answer does indeed seem very reasonable, but to simply provide some honest feedback, I wish that same answer would also apply to this issue of throttle decay.

#8 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:07 AM

View PostDave Forsey, on 27 September 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

Same reasoning applies to armlock.

Now that you're mentioning it, the tutorial required the arm lock hold function, but a lot of players have put it on a toggle. Would be nice if the tutorial would recognize both binds to be valid instead of forcing us to rebind the key to hold, pass the function, then bind it to a toggle again.

#9 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

Throttle decay is a superior control system under most circumstances anyway - particularly when driving a Light or fast Medium. Even using the reverse throttle hotkeys, you cannot get the best performance out of a Light without decay on.

I went back to using arm lock by default (and a hotkey to free the arms) for a similar reason. It's better to have your full alpha available at one point of aim by default, and have to press a key to use arm reflexes than the reverse - having to press a key or accept bad shot groupings in order to alpha.

Just my thoughts - I originally said, "screw that," and turned them off because that's what I was used to. But, turns out I was wrong.

Edited by Void Angel, 08 November 2015 - 08:35 PM.

#10 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:52 AM

It depends a lot on the 'Mech.

Slower, sluggish 'Mechs benefit from the more precise throttle control while fast ones with high accaleration take full advantage of throttle decay.

Arm lock again depends, as your camera speed is linked to either your arm or torso speed, depending on your arm lock. If you have good vertical control, a 'mech wthout Arm lock can play its torso twist speed much more effectively without spreading too much than one that has arm lock active, at which point you can still shift your toggle to focus your weapons.

I'm not telling you you're wrong, just that there's also a different way to look at it.

#11 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:11 AM

The throttle decay and armlock states are only locked when entering the basic tutorial section.

Any time you return to the Academy your regular settings should be in effect.

As for recognizing toggle as a way of fulfilling the basic tutorial objective - yes it should. There was a technical issue at first, and it just dropped off the priority list for a section that the vast majority of players will do just once.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users