#1 Zero Neutral

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:19 PM

I have only been back very briefly.

I have noticed the current meta shifting heavily towards laser-boating.

These changes proposed for at least the AS7-D-DC will do nothing to help it in the current meta. The AS7 needs a lot more armor to withstand 3-4 laser alphas before getting in to optimal range for SRM + AC/20. Without this ability, the AS7 really has no place at all in the current meta. Trying to brawl against mechs introduced much after the AS7 was introduced is extremely difficult these days. ECM does not stop lasers... only armor will.

#2 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:34 PM

View PostZero Neutral, on 25 September 2015 - 02:19 PM, said:

I have only been back very briefly.

I have noticed the current meta shifting heavily towards laser-boating.

These changes proposed for at least the AS7-D-DC will do nothing to help it in the current meta. The AS7 needs a lot more armor to withstand 3-4 laser alphas before getting in to optimal range for SRM + AC/20. Without this ability, the AS7 really has no place at all in the current meta. Trying to brawl against mechs introduced much after the AS7 was introduced is extremely difficult these days. ECM does not stop lasers... only armor will.

Atlasessi can still rule the battlefield, but you're right: they aren't the brawlers they once were that could wade into 8 mechs, drop four, and then stumble out a (still-living) stick the other side.

Only piece of advice I'd have is bump your engine up so you're going at 60kph+. It helps.

They DO need some armor help, though, especially given this mech's lore. You'd think they'd give it the same internal buffs a Zeus has.

#3 Zero Neutral

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:50 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 25 September 2015 - 02:34 PM, said:

Atlasessi can still rule the battlefield, but you're right: they aren't the brawlers they once were that could wade into 8 mechs, drop four, and then stumble out a (still-living) stick the other side.

Only piece of advice I'd have is bump your engine up so you're going at 60kph+. It helps.

They DO need some armor help, though, especially given this mech's lore. You'd think they'd give it the same internal buffs a Zeus has.

For me, I generally run an AS7-D-DC. The major problems I have are that the AC/20 and SRM do not apply damage precisely enough. In a brawl against lasers it always goes badly. Enemy lasers will tear me down before I can come in to range. When I do get in to range, these days there are mechs out there with much better weapon loadouts for brawling against the D-DC mixed setup of 2 lasers, an AC, and SRM.

I feel like the AS7 is dead for the current meta, but could change maybe in the future.

Edited by Zero Neutral, 25 September 2015 - 02:59 PM.

#4 Kotev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:10 PM

Today Atlas is viable only at medium-long range, with buffing of weapons Atlas can easily be beaten with medium mechs at brawls

#5 purplewasabi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 170 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:50 PM

Welcome back.

So far, I don't have any problems when running my Atlases. From one Atlas pilot to another, I'd say the Atlas is still viable with the current meta. Its role is just more focused. The environment is now more competitive compared to the founding era when everybody is still new and I'm assuming it was more relaxed back then. Mech mastery has taken a whole new meaning, from weapon loadouts to weapon convergence to weapon groupings. Everything done on the Atlas must be justifiable. Every movement must have a reason.

View PostKotev, on 25 September 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

Today Atlas is viable only at medium-long range, with buffing of weapons Atlas can easily be beaten with medium mechs at brawls

On the contrary, I think they are only viable at close-medium range now. On its own, its like an ambush predator. You sit and wait, constantly scanning the environment. Medium mechs, shouldn't be a problem unless you're have non-brawling weapons, ie; Large Lasers and LRMs. In a 1v1 brawl, IMO the Atlas DDC still dominates. If you're walking into an enemy firing line, no amount of armor/weapon buff will help you there. Instead of getting more armor to withstand 3-4 laser alphas, why not play smart and avoid them or distribute them evenly?

Regarding the DDC getting into optimal range, personally thats the best part of piloting the DDC. Find ways to surprise the enemy (imagine the look in their eyes when they notice an Atlas manage to creeped up on them). Know where your areas of opportunities on the map and stick to them. Avoid the threats/traps.

This post if not meant to be negative in any way. Its merely to update briefly on the current MWO environment regarding the Atlas.

#6 Reptilizer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 523 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:48 AM

I agree with purplewasabi here. Only close range gets the Atlas to shine. Which is a pity, because long range laser peek is the name of the game as i experience it.
Also only DDC can "sneak" on the enemy to get in range. Piloted my founders for some matches this weekend -> cannonfodder. Before getting in range two thirds of your armor is gone and any stupid mauler drops you with an insane alpha...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users