70 replies to this topic

#21 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:26 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 01 October 2015 - 03:16 AM, said:

It is quite literally impossible to be as effective with a joystick as it is with a mouse in any kind of FPS. Use one if you want, but you are severely handicapping yourself, and lose any right to complain when you lose.

^this

with the addition of "yourself ... and others who depend on you".

#22 Kissamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:39 AM

"Mouse vs joystick" that's a false dilemma. They can work side by side. I've been using joystick to move and mouse to aim since Mechwarrior 2 and refuse to play a mech game if I can't have the joystick to move. Also played many FPS games this way. The analog movement is great when the game properly supports it.

I did try playing with two joysticks once just for the feeling. The atmosphere was great but aiming was simply too hard. I'm sure I would have gotten better with aiming, but never as precise as the mouse. Still, maybe if I could justify the purchase of throttle and rudder pedals, and have a supported VR headset, then I'd use joystick to aim even if it's inferior. That'd be all about the ambience, not so much about winning.

Joystick is for moving, not aiming. The topic should be "Joystick vs Keyboard" and even my keyboard gets used a little as tertiary control.

#23 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:42 AM

View PostKissamies, on 01 October 2015 - 03:39 AM, said:

"Mouse vs joystick" that's a false dilemma. They can work side by side. I've been using joystick to move and mouse to aim since Mechwarrior 2 and refuse to play a mech game if I can't have the joystick to move. Also played many FPS games this way. The analog movement is great when the game properly supports it.

I did try playing with two joysticks once just for the feeling. The atmosphere was great but aiming was simply too hard. I'm sure I would have gotten better with aiming, but never as precise as the mouse. Still, maybe if I could justify the purchase of throttle and rudder pedals, and have a supported VR headset, then I'd use joystick to aim even if it's inferior. That'd be all about the ambience, not so much about winning.

Joystick is for moving, not aiming. The topic should be "Joystick vs Keyboard" and even my keyboard gets used a little as tertiary control.

That sounds like it can actually work (one question though: do you have enough buttons on the joystick to replace the keyboard reasonably? Not counting WASD, I need ... *count* ... 18 keys. Plus chatting is a lot faster if you're at the keyboard anyway).

However I think the topic is really meant as "Joystick for aiming". And that's a (MWO-social) crime, hands down.

#24 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:49 AM

I actually tried plugging in a joystick for controlling the movement and it wasn't really bad as I'd imagined. The only problem is your reaction time is lower because in order to change direction you have to yank the stick all the way to the other side, while on a keyboard it's just a button press. So it really puts you at a disadvantage when piloting fast and fragile 'Mechs like lights.

I think it's decent for piloting assaults though. If this wasn't a competitive multiplayer game and there was a singleplayer component, I'd definitely use the Joystick+TrackIR option for more immersion.

#25 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:58 AM

For me personally... I really hate seeing bad joystick users in the spectate. The jerkyness is usually nauseating, they cant keep on target even if it were the side of a barn they were aiming at and overcompensated movements really pop to mind when you see them. However, there are some users who have no other choice (only 1 hand for example) or are genuinely good at using a joystick settup.

P. S.

View PostTarogato, on 01 October 2015 - 03:10 AM, said:

I used to use a clitmouse and still sometimes do. Does that count?

Wait... a wut mouse?

#26 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:07 AM

Why not both?
\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted Image
http://www.amazon.co...L/dp/B00008KWWF

Edited by Anarcho, 01 October 2015 - 04:07 AM.

#27 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:07 AM

View PostPowder Puff Pew Pew, on 30 September 2015 - 10:46 PM, said:

Ok, I've seen good and bad players and we all have I'm sure. However I've had only 1 person I've ever seen that used a Joystick play it well enough to earn my respect. That doesn't mean I respect all Joystick users. Some players are just not meant to use a Joystick. If its that noticeable even from someone previewing you when they die, you are usually pretty awefull. If you are good enough that it keeps up with a mouse user, then by all means keep doing what you do.

I understand practice makes perfect and we all started out somwhere, but if you are in a CW drop using a Joystick, I dont want you on my team, EVER! So it comes down to this question. Do you prefer teammates using a mouse or joystick?

Mouse?

Joystick?

What are these things you speak of?

"Real" Mechwarriors have a whole cockpit!

Posted Image

#28 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:23 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 01 October 2015 - 04:07 AM, said:

Mouse?

Joystick?

What are these things you speak of?

"Real" Mechwarriors have a whole cockpit!

Posted Image

Not the point. That guy has a joystick in his full cockpit (and even there it sucks, the shiny prop won't help that)

#29 Kissamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:42 AM

View PostPaigan, on 01 October 2015 - 03:42 AM, said:

That sounds like it can actually work (one question though: do you have enough buttons on the joystick to replace the keyboard reasonably? Not counting WASD, I need ... *count* ... 18 keys. Plus chatting is a lot faster if you're at the keyboard anyway).

You learn to prioritize. I have a 5 buttons + mousewheel on my mouse and 4 buttons + the hat switch that counts as 4 more on my joystick handle. What I consider hight priority goes to those and the rest are on keyboard. I also have a cheap chinese foot switch that I don't really use so much. Might start using it when I get buy a 'mech that has MASC. If a physical attack key gets implemented, I'll have to rethink my scheme. The voice comm key will probably have to go. I don't use that so much anyways. Voice activated teamspeak works better.

#30 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:27 AM

View PostKissamies, on 01 October 2015 - 04:42 AM, said:

You learn to prioritize. I have a 5 buttons + mousewheel on my mouse and 4 buttons + the hat switch that counts as 4 more on my joystick handle. What I consider hight priority goes to those and the rest are on keyboard. I also have a cheap chinese foot switch that I don't really use so much. Might start using it when I get buy a 'mech that has MASC. If a physical attack key gets implemented, I'll have to rethink my scheme. The voice comm key will probably have to go. I don't use that so much anyways. Voice activated teamspeak works better.

The 5 mouse buttons plus wheel are full besides the keyboard, of course (different weapon groups and zooming).
So you have 8 buttons on the stick to replace the keyboard.
Granted not all of the 18 are essential to have close access to (e.g. bring up map, switch ECM, etc.).
I maybe could do with 8 important ones close and rest remaining at the keyboard.
So, nice thing :).

btw: melee attacks are for teh lolz. These are bipedal tanks and not japanese child toy robots.

Edited by Paigan, 01 October 2015 - 05:28 AM.

#31 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:35 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 01 October 2015 - 03:16 AM, said:

It is quite literally impossible to be as effective with a joystick as it is with a mouse in any kind of FPS. Use one if you want, but you are severely handicapping yourself, and lose any right to complain when you lose.

This really puts a lot of perspective on the number of people who can't hit light mechs. I wonder of that subgroup, how many of them use a joystick to aim....

I suspect more than a few.

#32 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:43 AM

When I got into the game I used joystick but these days I only play with mouse and keyboard. I just enjoy playing this game more like that.

#33 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:45 AM

View PostAlphaToaster, on 01 October 2015 - 05:35 AM, said:

This really puts a lot of perspective on the number of people who can't hit light mechs. I wonder of that subgroup, how many of them use a joystick to aim....

I suspect more than a few.

Interesting indeed :D

#34 Erkki

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:46 AM

Mouse for aiming, rudder pedals for turning legs, toe brakes for JJs, joystick for throttle wheel(with almost non-existent resistance), targeting and triggers.

All benefits of immersion, analog controls while retaining the aiming accuracy and speed of mouse.

Being left-handed helps though. :P

#35 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:48 AM

View PostPowder Puff Pew Pew, on 30 September 2015 - 11:11 PM, said:

No not yet, I was going to donate the $10,000 but someone grabbed it I think. I will wait till the next 1. I just got done reading all the stuff you get with the package deals but when I saw there will be higher tiers available later on Im going to wait and see what else comes out. I'm willing to pay them $500,000. I would nvr pay PGI that kinda doe tho, after all the **** theyve done, and all the useless Devs they hired. Nvr again PGI, you guys screwed this game up so bad, and you still cant even making a damn chat box to meat a 2015 standard.

They opened up two more 10000 slots for you.

#36 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:24 AM

Yes! Both.

I use a joystick to control the legs and secondary tech;

-Movement (left and right)
-Speed (accel and decel)
-Jump Jets
-BattleGrid
-Overlay Info
-Zoom
-Advanced Zoom
-UAV
-Artillery
-Heat Vision
-Night Vision
-Power Switch
-Override Shutdown
-Select Target

I use a mouse to control the torso (aim/firing).

-Weapon Groups 1 through 5.

I've never had any issues with this configuration, and would recommend it to anyone wanting to move away from any keyboard input.

#37 Dunereaper

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:28 AM

I use joystick for legs and AUX functions also and mouse for aiming.

#38 Praehotec8

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:32 AM

I have used a HOTAS setup in MWO since open beta. It took a while to get used to, but at this point I would be handicapping myself to try using the mouse/KB.

Honestly, while the mouse is objectively more accurate than a joystick for aiming, I feel that as a middle of the road player, I would not see enough improvement (nor do I really care) to make it worth giving up the immersion that the joystick provides.

That being said, I make three additional points:

1. Joysticks may make aiming a bit more challenging, but heat management is generally easier (unless you are good at using those fancy 20+ button mice).

2. Taking weapon loadouts that complement the less precise aiming works well to minimize any problems. I typically avoid the long range pot shot game as much as possible. Engagements under 500m are much more manageable. Brawling weapons and LRMs are fantastic with a joystick.

3. Everyone complains about TTK, and PPFLD, yet balks at the thought of using a joystick. Well, imagine if everyone used a joystick - it would fix about 90% of the problems people complain about in this game (or if the mouse was only as precise as the joystick). If a player can snap shot aim and hit a light mech with dual gauss at 900m while using a joystick - they deserve the kill.

#39 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostPaigan, on 01 October 2015 - 12:10 AM, said:

I find it amusing how everyone with insufficient performance (in your case hardware-dependent I assume. And I do assume because joysticks are the rofl in MWO) hides behind "I play for fun".
Just like some other guy yesterday: talking $hit in chat, flaming, delivering 34 match score (yay!) and then flaming that he would "just play for fun" as opposed to us other idiot who don't have a live, blabla, need score to get hard, blabla.

The error and impudence in that statement is: you are not alone in the world. Other people play for fun, too, you know? And by ruining their game (everybody has to lift their weight, you know) you behave directly unsocial. Even in a game. Even for fun.

So in my book, the very lazy excuse "I'm playing just for fun [and f*** you others]" is actually rude behavior.

Oh jeeze. I'm sorry for not being 100% precise with my words. It's clear you have a good understanding of what I mean, so I don't get why you're rambling on about semantics.
It’s not an excuse, it’s just an easy way to describe a certain preference.
Chill.

#40 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:49 AM

View PostPowder Puff Pew Pew, on 30 September 2015 - 10:46 PM, said:

Ok, I've seen good and bad players and we all have I'm sure. However I've had only 1 person I've ever seen that used a Joystick play it well enough to earn my respect. That doesn't mean I respect all Joystick users. Some players are just not meant to use a Joystick. If its that noticeable even from someone previewing you when they die, you are usually pretty awefull. If you are good enough that it keeps up with a mouse user, then by all means keep doing what you do.

I understand practice makes perfect and we all started out somwhere, but if you are in a CW drop using a Joystick, I dont want you on my team, EVER! So it comes down to this question. Do you prefer teammates using a mouse or joystick?

You just single-handedly convinced me to drop into CW with my new Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. And if anyone asks in-game why, I am pointing to you and this thread. :P

View PostYokiLin, on 30 September 2015 - 10:55 PM, said:

i played over 37k matches with joystick............................. and i can't play with out it. :ph34r:

Damn! That's what I call dedication and perseverance. :o

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users