70 replies to this topic

#61 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:42 PM

0 order controller. FPS.

If you are using a joystick you are absolutely at a mechanical disadvantage to someone using a mouse. A big one. If someone is bad enough that they can't beat a joystick user with their mouse it's pretty embarrassing.

#62 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:00 PM

View PostAnarcho, on 01 October 2015 - 04:57 PM, said:

Im getting the full hotas + pedals as soon the freackin oculus rift support shows up...

Im here for imersion not to QQ meta hard

hotas seems it would work better with an oculus than keyboard. all your controls are at your fingertips all the time. you dont have to take your hand off a mouse to hit a key. add to the fact you cant glance down at the keyboard and find the key visually with a big honkin headset on your head. if you keep a hand on the keyboard all the time it might be a little easier but thats not helping your immersion.

i think the biggest issue with a joystick is aiming precision. hence my current preference of running throttle pedals and mouse (which more or less solves the blind key hunting problem). since joystick controls rate of rotation rather than position you end up with a lot of overshoot. throttle is nice, you set how fast you want to go and the mech does the rest for you. joysticks could work the same, joystick controls setpoint, and the torso and arms chase it as fast as the mech can do. of course for that to work well you need a lot of bit depth on your joystick axes. as i know from mw2, 256 ticks per rotation can be a little bit too rough, especially for some of the ranged shots you see in cw.

and frankly the consumer market for that kind of precision is scarce. ive seen expensive sticks rave about 10 or 12 bit precision if you want to drop a few hundred bucks on it. if you are like me you build that kind of thing yourself.

#63 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:14 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 01 October 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

0 order controller. FPS.

If you are using a joystick you are absolutely at a mechanical disadvantage to someone using a mouse. A big one. If someone is bad enough that they can't beat a joystick user with their mouse it's pretty embarrassing.

you can get 0th order with a stick. track change in position over time and pass that as a delta value for mouse position (with some kind of emulation, unless you are a hardware person). you need to be rather thorough about accounting for every delta value and making sure it gets reported and every report used. anything from hardware, drivers, the api and the game itself can drop reports. if any get dropped you will have recentering issues. of course you could do a quick calibration by centering your stick, then centering the mech with your mouse.

thats the round about way and is far from perfect. the right way is just do what mechwarrior 2 did, just map the full range of travel the joystick can do to the full range your torso/arms can do, instead of mapping the js range to the rate of rotation like this game does. if this was a simulator instead of a shooter, you wouldnt set the rotation directly, but the setpoint in a control system, the mech would go to it as fast as possible and you would need to wait for the control algorithm to settle to get the best aim.

Edited by LordNothing, 01 October 2015 - 06:15 PM.

#64 Agent 0 Fortune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:33 PM

I played all the mechwarrior games using a joystick, and bought one to go along with my founders pack. Unfortunately when I got in they were not supported. I haven't dusted it of to test lately.
Now that I no longer give a carp about psr, I may give it another try, maybe the immersion factor will overcome some the negative aspects of the game.

#65 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:37 PM

View PostPowder Puff Pew Pew, on 30 September 2015 - 11:11 PM, said:

No not yet, I was going to donate the $10,000 but someone grabbed it I think. I will wait till the next 1. I just got done reading all the stuff you get with the package deals but when I saw there will be higher tiers available later on Im going to wait and see what else comes out. I'm willing to pay them $500,000. I would nvr pay PGI that kinda doe tho, after all the **** theyve done, and all the useless Devs they hired. Nvr again PGI, you guys screwed this game up so bad, and you still cant even making a damn chat box to meat a 2015 standard.

f-f-f-ff-ive hundred k? I was joking around to friends of donations that tier! :blink:

#66 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:03 PM

View PostPowder Puff Pew Pew, on 01 October 2015 - 04:36 PM, said:

I just have to comment on your avatar lol, is that FLUFFLE PUFF TALES!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

Look this up on youtube.com lol
FPMV: "PFUDOR"

LOL

I can't recall if that face of Luna is from Fluffle Puff tales. I want to say it's "Luna Eclipsed" when she's bear crushing Fluttershy. But I'm not entirely sure.

#67 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:12 PM

View PostMister D, on 01 October 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

I used to play Mechwarrior 2/3/4 with Joystick and Mouse.

Keyboard just never felt right back then, controls just felt too rigid compared to smooth acceleration and turning you could do with a joy/mouse combo.

For MWO, never really tried it, but I need to find a good Ambidextrous Joy because I always used left hand for it.

Have you tried one of these?

#68 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:22 PM

Tier 3 with a Thrustmaster 16000m joystick doing it all. The 16000m is better than the Sidewinder 2 if you open the bottom and zip-tie two coils of the return spring together. You can google how to do it. The default return spring is much too strong, but for 40-45$, it's the best. More accurate than a Mouse, but slower to line up targets is my feeling.

View PostMystere, on 01 October 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

Have you tried one of these?

That's the one. very nice.

Edited by Lightfoot, 01 October 2015 - 08:25 PM.

#69 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:33 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 01 October 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

0 order controller. FPS.

I beat you folks all the time though in one on one duels that occur. Mouse piloting will never beat joystick piloting. MWO has set the arms up for the mouse, but the only thing else a mouse does a bit better than a joystick is moving the reticule faster, but the joystick could have better accuracy since the reticule never jumps when you pull the trigger. That gives the joystick a long range edge over the average mouse.

It depends on the joystick though. I use the Thrustmaster 16000m with two of coils of the return spring zip tied to lower the strength and it is smooth as silk. I don't consider myself to be a great player, but I am tier 3 doing mostly beta testing. That's moving up though now that I am aware of it. I think I have won 20-22 of my last 30 games. I am not losing very much anyway. (and I am piloting an Orion with no lasers).

Edited by Lightfoot, 02 October 2015 - 08:43 AM.

#70 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:41 AM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 30 September 2015 - 10:56 PM, said:

Mouse, but only because joystick support sucks for this game and I do no have everything I need for a better set up.

EDIT: Hey Powder Puff, did you go back BATTLETECH on Kickstarter? PvE is the main focus.

They fixed Joystick support. Initially it was terrible, now MWO has the best joystick support of any mech game that I have ever played. You need a good joystick, but I only paid $45 for mine so you don't need a Warthog HOTAS or something to get good results.

#71 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 October 2015 - 08:45 AM

Pffft, real men use steering wheels!

Posted Image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users