65 replies to this topic

#41 SplashDown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:45 PM

i like the Solaris idea..
Besides the obvious pro's to the idea i think it could have some potential for other reasons.

1st) weight class restrictions ofc.
2nd) would give new players a chance to fight vet players and possibly give them a chance to really learn something at a faster rate.
3rd) I think it could be a good way for PGI to monitor the game to see wich mechs in there weight class continuesly win and wich ones dont hold up..given PGI an idea of what needs tweeked in game.
4th) player betting..ya cant have a Solaris without some hard earned credits being won and lost. =)

and many more reasons which most other posters have already stated.

cheers =)

#42 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:15 PM

We already have Solaris, you and a friend need premium time and there you go... Solaris mode.

#43 SkyHammyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 462 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:49 PM

If you think the whining of meta cheese is strong now- when you have 11 other guys on your team that run it- wait until it's just you versus 11 other guys that run it.

#44 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:55 PM

View PostSkyHammr, on 04 October 2015 - 08:49 PM, said:

If you think the whining of meta cheese is strong now- when you have 11 other guys on your team that run it- wait until it's just you versus 11 other guys that run it.

That's the thing though. In a FFA arena type mode, each player can run whatever their heart wants. Only difference is you no longer have players bringing down their entire team because they took a 13 flamer Dire Wolf.

#45 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:15 PM

View PostSplashDown, on 04 October 2015 - 06:45 PM, said:

Besides the obvious pro's to the idea i think it could have some potential for other reasons.

2nd) would give new players a chance to fight vet players and possibly give them a chance to really learn something at a faster rate.
3rd) I think it could be a good way for PGI to monitor the game to see wich mechs in there weight class continuesly win and wich ones dont hold up..given PGI an idea of what needs tweeked in game.
4th) player betting..ya cant have a Solaris without some hard earned credits being won and lost. =)

cheers =)

Have weight class restrictions? That's for the weak-kneed.

I say the less rules there are the better. Chaos should be the only rule. :D

#46 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:51 PM

[redacted]

View PostAce Selin, on 04 October 2015 - 08:15 PM, said:

We already have Solaris, you and a friend need premium time and there you go... Solaris mode.

Nice try. But that ain't even close to Solaris.

View PostSplashDown, on 04 October 2015 - 06:45 PM, said:

cheers =)

What could also be done could be participating in Solaris mode with pre-customized mech you can use only for this mode.
We have the Trials mechs. Why not the "Solaris" mech?

Edited by Coryphee, 07 October 2015 - 11:48 AM.
Unconstructive, and unconstructive in quote

#47 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:02 AM

View PostCathy, on 03 October 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

Thinks of Solaris and yawns at the thought of all the resources wasted, producing yet another arena map fight

much like I yawn at the resources wasted on CW.

See we are different types of players. What you want isn't what I want. My money has stopped flowing because I see no progress towards making a place for my desires. And I'm a pretty big whale.

Heck, they don't even need to make new maps, just make a FFA mode. Can't be that hard.

#48 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:06 AM

View PostMystere, on 04 October 2015 - 09:15 PM, said:

Have weight class restrictions? That's for the weak-kneed.

I say the less rules there are the better. Chaos should be the only rule. :D

do it the same way as MW4... weigh class restricted at lower levels, open class at higher levels.

View PostLeone, on 03 October 2015 - 06:56 PM, said:

I always figured solo queue was just Solaris matches.

~Leone.

We currently do not have Free-For-All mode, so, NO.

#49 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:09 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 03 October 2015 - 02:12 AM, said:

Enought said.
CW is nice and get better.
We have pugs match and team match where you have mixed technology.

But we miss one of the heart of the Battletech Universe.

We need a Solaris Arena damn it!
New mechs are nice even if overpriced.

But we definitly need a New Game Mode.
We need a Solaris game mode with multiple unlockable option!

You start with just light battles, and after a few round you unlock medium and heavy. Then Assault.

Then you can have a sort of "Leaderboard" where people can use the chassis they went in a FFA and progress in a sort of giant rooster where they can see there position and try to get the highter.

You have a total death match mode already.

What's stopping you from setting this up yourself if you want it so badly? Set up a web sight. Register participants. Compete in private lobbies. Report results on the web site?!?!

#50 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:13 AM

I totally want a Solaris expansion. But honestly this game is hurtin alot in other directions way more.

The comments Mechwarrior already has Solaris are at least partly right. Until the Galaxy war map is done and alot more off the field content is available the Solaris modes and arenas wouldnt be appreciated half as much as they could be.

Edited by Johnny Z, 05 October 2015 - 06:16 AM.

#51 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:48 AM

View PostLugh, on 05 October 2015 - 06:09 AM, said:

What's stopping you from setting this up yourself if you want it so badly? Set up a web sight. Register participants. Compete in private lobbies. Report results on the web site?!?!

We don't have Solaris Arena, we do not have Arena you find on Solaris. We do not have anything close to Solaris.
We ain't even got a real FFA mode at the moment.

I'm not sur you even know what is Solaris anyway.

Edited by KuroNyra, 05 October 2015 - 06:52 AM.

#52 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:53 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 05 October 2015 - 06:13 AM, said:

I totally want a Solaris expansion. But honestly this game is hurtin alot in other directions way more.

The comments Mechwarrior already has Solaris are at least partly right. Until the Galaxy war map is done and alot more off the field content is available the Solaris modes and arenas wouldnt be appreciated half as much as they could be.

To make a FFA mode would be a step closer to Solaris.
To create the map would be even better. Heck, we already know what they look like so it would be easy for PGI to do the multiple Arenas.

#53 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:45 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 05 October 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

To make a FFA mode would be a step closer to Solaris.
To create the map would be even better. Heck, we already know what they look like so it would be easy for PGI to do the multiple Arenas.

Have to think DLC and expansions though. Games make a ton of money that way and if the expansions are good the players are even happy about them. Fallout 3 had 6 or 8 expansions and no one complained, they even made a second game using the construction kit given free to players and everyone got it and no one complained.

Anyway Mechwarrior Online relying on mechs makes sense. They need to be added anyway, why not sell them right.

But this game could do well to have expansions as well as more cosmetic items and all sorts of stuff rather than relying on mechs. Mechwarrior Online hasnt even begun to tap the market. Literally.

I totally agree with the point and this topic though. Just in a round about way. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 05 October 2015 - 07:46 AM.

#54 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:55 AM

A FFA mode would be horrible

Literally the entire gamemode would be about running around and hiding until the very end then killing everyone else whos damaged

That would be even less fun than the current gamemodes... which is quite the feat.

Edited by Khobai, 05 October 2015 - 08:08 AM.

#55 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:00 AM

View PostLugh, on 05 October 2015 - 06:09 AM, said:

what stopping us?

Okay, lets say we get 12 mechs ready to fight. pop into a personal match and go at it. Match ends when all the mechs on one TEAM die. What if there are 6 mechs left standing still?

#56 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:18 AM

View PostKhobai, on 05 October 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

Literally the entire gamemode would be about running around and hiding until the very end then killing everyone else whos damaged

That would be even less fun than the current gamemodes... which is quite the feat.

Less fun?

Just imagine the temporary alliances of convenience, the anticipated backstabbing, the eventual all-out treachery. I want to see the nastiest, most treacherous, underhanded, and malicious tactics one can ever imagine to be employed.

#57 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:21 AM

This community is going to be incredibly disappointed if/when it finally gets a Solaris mode and everyone realizes what a camp-sniping cesspit that would be.

#58 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:24 AM

We already have Solaris effectively, its called the solo PUG queue.

#59 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:28 AM

View PostKhobai, on 05 October 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

Kinda like 'The Hunger Games' with mechs? :P

I am not a fan of FFA modes. I think that runs contrary to the design of MWO. But I am surprised that PGI hasn't added any kind of permanent 'leader board' type mode.

#60 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:12 AM

The last thing we need is yet another gamemode that caters to the "fight me nao" crowd.

Russ has talked about trying to strike a balance between the hardcore, patient tactical players and the casual "quick action" people. In reality, there's been no balance. EVERYTHING has gone to the casuals. Every map is designed with chokepoints and limited options to tell the casuals where to go.

Give us a real gamemode, like my signature. Everyone will play that. We already have Solaris in the regular queues.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users