Crab Scale Compairson Posted

162 replies to this topic

#61 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:33 AM

Short but long from the side, i think its great.
Im thinking i should have got the Crab pack instead of the Origins IIC Hunchback pack now, it looks that good.

#62 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:39 AM

So it's a bent over Hunchback. I'm fine with that.

#63 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:54 AM

View PostTahribator, on 04 October 2015 - 01:39 AM, said:

So it's a bent over Hunchback. I'm fine with that.

bigger questions will be, will it be remotely XL viable? Those side shots make me very leery....It looks very Stalkeresque..... minus the high hardpoints and massive armor. But scale looks great, can't really knock PGI on that this time. Body shape and hitboxes, well, anyone asking for it should have known those were gonna be highly questionable.

#64 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:56 AM

It's pretty small.

I think the real question is: Is there a reason to use an XL in the first place anyways? If you're rocking purely lasers, tonnage is hardly a concern.

#65 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:07 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 03 October 2015 - 11:47 PM, said:

I don't think so.
If you take the enforcer or the hunchie and "make them bow", you'll see that they have the same height and volume.
There is a trade here: tiny mech but easy to hit from its side.

Yeah I'm not sure what people are up in arms about, if the Crab's torso was situated vertically instead of horizontally it would have been as tall or taller than the Enforcer in those comparison shots.

This mech needs to be small, more mediums need to be smaller.

#66 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:10 AM

Looks about right to me. We don't need any more mechs on the emergency rescaling list.

#67 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:13 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 October 2015 - 08:54 AM, said:

bigger questions will be, will it be remotely XL viable? Those side shots make me very leery....It looks very Stalkeresque..... minus the high hardpoints and massive armor. But scale looks great, can't really knock PGI on that this time. Body shape and hitboxes, well, anyone asking for it should have known those were gonna be highly questionable.

It doesn't matter, 50 tons are a pretty sweet spot: you can use ST and still have decent speed (huncie, cent, etc.)

That said, in a big nose, all depends where the CTbox stops and SThitboxes start: it can be a dragon or a stalker.

#68 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:17 AM

Wow. Power creep continues. So much smaller then the Hunchback, it's equal in tonnage.

Still not buying until I see hit boxes. If there are energy quirks, time to call foul. If the intention is to remove weapon quirks, then it should be delivered with none.

#69 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:19 AM

Seriously, anyone complaining that the Crab is too small is an utter idiot.

If anything, most mediums (particularly older ones) are too big. This has been a major problem for medium mechs since the release of the near-atlas sized Centurion.

They SHOULD be noticably smaller than Heavies, and nowhere close to Assaults.

Just because we've got mediums that are ridiculously too large is no reason to continue releasing excessively large mediums. Who knows when (or even if) those already way to big mediums will ever see a rescaling, so releasing more that are too big is a bad idea.

Edited by Wintersdark, 04 October 2015 - 09:35 AM.

#70 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:19 AM

Im worried that this game will turn in another scaling fail.

On one hand extremy tiny well scaled mechs. And on the other hand extreme oversized fail mechs in the same class.

Edited by Sarlic, 04 October 2015 - 09:20 AM.

#71 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:30 AM

View PostKodiakGW, on 04 October 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

Wow. Power creep continues. So much smaller then the Hunchback, it's equal in tonnage.

Still not buying until I see hit boxes. If there are energy quirks, time to call foul. If the intention is to remove weapon quirks, then it should be delivered with none.

It's not smaller than the hunchback, it's shorter and longer. Just bend the hunchback over at the waist and there you have it.

Edit: Being shorter isn't necessarily an advantage, given how long it is: It's extremely vulnerable from the side, whereas mechs like the Hunchback and Enforcer are not.

View PostSarlic, on 04 October 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

Im worried that this game will turn in another scaling fail.

On one hand extremy tiny well scaled mechs. And on the other hand extreme oversized fail mechs in the same class.

Would you rather they continue to release extremely oversized fail mechs?

I'm just happy they've stopped doing that, and will hopefully fix the borked older mechs... but even if they don't fix the old ones, at least don't make more oversized ones. Oversized mediums are sad, sad creatures, and is one of the major reasons Mediums have been one of the least played classes since the game's early days. The Stormcrow helped a lot, but is definitely an exception.

Edited by Wintersdark, 04 October 2015 - 09:34 AM.

#72 Trev Firestorm

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:30 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 04 October 2015 - 08:56 AM, said:

It's pretty small.

I think the real question is: Is there a reason to use an XL in the first place anyways? If you're rocking purely lasers, tonnage is hardly a concern.

If you want it as speedy as possible with near max armor, std 350 leaves only 2-2.5 tons with endo and ff, XL leaves it with 16-17 (used smurfy CN9-D)... Of course that is just one variant, others std 325 es ff leaves 7.5t.

Edited by Trev Firestorm, 04 October 2015 - 09:41 AM.

#73 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:36 AM

Its obvious a marketing decision. New ones; better scaled sells better then the old oversized waiting for a rescale. And a alot of old mechs have to be rescaled. They don't gain profit with it.

While i agree with you that with lauching same terrible oversized mechs would add more fuel on the fire but this strategy is a thing i don't like. Some mechs can wait ages if they get rescaled at all in the same class.

#74 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:38 AM

View PostTrev Firestorm, on 04 October 2015 - 09:30 AM, said:

If you want it as speedy as possible with near max armor, std 350 leaves only 2-2.5 tons with endo and ff, XL leaves it with 16-17 (used smurfy CN9-D)... Of course that is just one variant, others std 325 es ff leaves 6.5t.

Yeah, I get that. It was somewhat of a rhetorical question.

A STD325 in a Crabby leaves 7.5t free with es/ff, not 6.5 =)

#75 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:41 AM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 03 October 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

Tiny! that ought to put to rest some of the DOA nonsense flying around here

From owning the Rll pack and having witnessed the DOA nuttery I can assure if it came with Harry Potter's cloack it will still be announced as DOA by the Tryhards.

Mauler not a Brawler, I want my money back PGI

Funny, all 4 variants I average about 700 dmg.

BK? ha.

Crab is going to be so fun and I have to have it to complete my IS medium collection.

#76 Trev Firestorm

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:41 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 04 October 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

Yeah, I get that. It was somewhat of a rhetorical question.

A STD325 in a Crabby leaves 7.5t free with es/ff, not 6.5 =)

Woops, fixed.

#77 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:42 AM

View PostSarlic, on 04 October 2015 - 09:36 AM, said:

Its obvious a marketing decision. New ones; better scaled sells better then the old oversized waiting for a rescale. And a alot of old mechs have to be rescaled. They don't gain profit with it.

While i agree with you that with lauching same terrible oversized mechs would add more fuel on the fire but this strategy is a thing i don't like. Some mechs can wait ages if they get rescaled at all in the same class.

A marketing decision? Or just learning as they go to not make mechs that are flat out bad? Look at the poor trebuchet, a mech doomed from birth because it's way too big. The Nova; even quirked, it's still waaaaay too big.

So many mechs have been just bad from original sale date. Whether or not they get rescaled isn't related to how new mechs should be scaled. It was a problem, and it's been corrected - not with the Crab, but before: the recent string of mechs have been much better scaled.

The crab is basically the same volume, after all, as the Enforcer or hunchback.

Basically, "but this strategy is a thing i don't like." So they should release new mechs oversized? Because, whether they rescale or not, they're going to keep releasing new mechs. They may as well release them properly sized.

They absolutely should rescale, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Edited by Wintersdark, 04 October 2015 - 09:43 AM.

#78 Oberost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:43 AM

View PostKodiakGW, on 04 October 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

So until we get the so called "Great rebalance" we'll have a crap mech without quirks to compete in the current environement?

Sounds great...

#79 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:49 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 04 October 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

A marketing decision? Or just learning as they go to not make mechs that are flat out bad? Look at the poor trebuchet, a mech doomed from birth because it's way too big. The Nova; even quirked, it's still waaaaay too big.

So many mechs have been just bad from original sale date. Whether or not they get rescaled isn't related to how new mechs should be scaled. It was a problem, and it's been corrected - not with the Crab, but before: the recent string of mechs have been much better scaled.

The crab is basically the same volume, after all, as the Enforcer or hunchback.

Basically, "but this strategy is a thing i don't like." So they should release new mechs oversized? Because, whether they rescale or not, they're going to keep releasing new mechs. They may as well release them properly sized.

They absolutely should rescale, but that's a different kettle of fish.

What about resizing all the old mechs and have a extra variant of ownership? Heck make a event of the 'rescales' and add something else to the line to make the rescaled mechs getting sold against reasonable prices. (MC hero's/cbills)

It's like a said a part of their marketing decision from present. I meant not in the past.

What i mean is that PGI could look a little further then their noses and instead of cranking each 2-3 months new mechspacks they could use multiple resources the gain a different profit then the same crap we're facing now.

See where i am pointing at? PGI is lacking creativity.

As it looks like we're getting crap oversized mechs and well scaled mechs in the same class on PtS and our great rebalance. Sounds fun...

Edited by Sarlic, 04 October 2015 - 09:54 AM.

#80 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:49 AM

View PostTractor Joe, on 04 October 2015 - 09:41 AM, said:

Funny, all 4 variants I average about 700 dmg.

Really?

Really?

Go ahead post your mech stats for 4 variants so we can confirm that you "average" 700 damage in all 4 of them.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users