Buff Nightvision: Fog / Night And Ecm

8 replies to this topic

#1 Pale Jackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 786 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:20 PM

Simple topic, PGI: as someone who likes to occasionally play a stealthy harasser, I really love that you made ECM awesome and useful.

However, ECM makes fog and night rather annoying. If there was no ECM, then radar would allow us to target enemies despite environmental conditions, and you could handle fog and night however you want since it would affect both sides equally. Since this is not Call of Duty and only one side may have ECM, this lack of visibility can be rather one-sided.

So, a simple plea to PGI: buff night vision, increase the range offered by night vision (I know it was originally nerfed to curtail sniping), and consider making maps less foggy. ECM will still be useful since it makes your 'mech much less obvious when sniping, in addition to its other benefits (like increasing locks times, etc.)

Edited by Pale Jackal, 06 October 2015 - 12:39 PM.

#2 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:24 PM

Night Vision, or Thermal Vision?

#3 Col Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:25 PM

in a word hell no.

ecm needs no buffs and needs to lose its stealth mode entirely.

#4 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:28 PM

View PostMellifluer, on 06 October 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

in a word hell no.

What does that have to do with the OP?

I agree that enhanced vision needs a buff, given all the smoke/fog in the new maps combined with time of day.

#5 Pale Jackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 786 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:34 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 06 October 2015 - 12:24 PM, said:

Well, I agree thermal should also be buffed, since it's a far cry from the "use thermal always" version that used to dominate in the early versions of MWO. I suspect it's much worse for sniping than it used to be, even if it was buffed to its old max vision.

View PostMellifluer, on 06 October 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

in a word hell no.

I'm not suggesting ECM should be buffed.

Edited by Pale Jackal, 06 October 2015 - 12:34 PM.

#6 Col Jaime Wolf

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:00 PM

View PostPale Jackal, on 06 October 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

Well, I agree thermal should also be buffed, since it's a far cry from the "use thermal always" version that used to dominate in the early versions of MWO. I suspect it's much worse for sniping than it used to be, even if it was buffed to its old max vision.

I'm not suggesting ECM should be buffed.

thermal IS already mandatory on a ton of maps day or night making it better will just make that more so. also other than the range nerf they aren't much worse off then before.

tons of players minimize the games visuals already to reduce smoke/explosions/obstructions right down to editing the game files and ini's. every serious comp player does this.

if you want stealth armor and angel ecm or null signature im fine with that as long as your mech is actually equipped with stealth armor/angel ECM/null signature and while we are at it allow every mech to equip these systems. there was never any rule in canon that prevented any mech from equipping things like ECM, MASC, JJ or the like you simply had to pay to have them installed.

http://www.sarna.net...Angel_ECM_Suite

http://www.sarna.net...i/Stealth_Armor

http://www.sarna.net...ignature_System

you say make heat/night vision better because of ECM i say get rid of ECM's stealth bubble so things like night/heat vision are less mandatory.

Edited by Mellifluer, 06 October 2015 - 01:01 PM.

#7 Ex Atlas Overlord

• Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:59 PM

View PostTyler Valentine, on 06 October 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

What does that have to do with the OP?

I agree that enhanced vision needs a buff, given all the smoke/fog in the new maps combined with time of day.

I don't agree....

The two "enhanced" vision modes should only be good in very specific circumstances....which they currently are

Thermal is useful during blizzards b/c normal vision is useless, or on very hot maps where the mechs are actually cooler than ambient somehow -> check

Night vision is useful at up to 700 meters....in the dark... so -> Check

If 700 meters of vision in all modes isn't enough for you to play the game.... it's not the game that's the problem.

What people asking for "improvments" REALLY want is a easy way to snipe people from 1000+ meters while cowering under ecm or abusing their small profile to make it impossible to identify them until it's too late to return fire.

Edited by The Atlas Overlord, 06 October 2015 - 02:00 PM.

#8 Pale Jackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 786 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:30 PM

Well, I do agree that is it bad when players are encouraged to disable effects to be competitive. I wouldn't be adverse to reducing or eliminating the bubble on ECM, so long as the 'mech with ECM still kept ECM. (Or, PGI could implement Angel ECM etc.)

View PostThe Atlas Overlord, on 06 October 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

I don't agree....

Night vision is useful at up to 700 meters....in the dark... so -> Check

If 700 meters of vision in all modes isn't enough for you to play the game.... it's not the game that's the problem.

What people asking for "improvments" REALLY want is a easy way to snipe people from 1000+ meters while cowering under ecm or abusing their small profile to make it impossible to identify them until it's too late to return fire.

Except that poor visibility using night vision or thermal arguably helps the 'mechs using ECM more than it does the 'mechs that are not using ECM.

And 700m, are you serious? When you have an ERPPC which has a range of 810m, and you cannot see past 700m using night vision or thermal, that doesn't seem incongruous to you?

I think you have your argument reversed: poor visibility at long ranges helps ECM 'mechs far more than it does those 'mechs without ECM.

#9 Speedy Plysitkos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:40 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 06 October 2015 - 12:24 PM, said:

none can be used in new caustic. Try it. youll see a s**t.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users