2 replies to this topic

#1 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:06 PM

Piloted by Phallen Kell himself of the Kell Hounds, "Grinner" was the name of the Wolf hound that he piloted, with grinning K9 teeth painted on the mech's head, the mech was painted in the Kell hounds Red and black with the Hounds head on the shoulder and legs. with the Wolf hound coming out soon I thought it'd be a nice mech too see.

#2 Smith Gibson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:09 PM

"Grinner" was a standard unmodified WLF-1 Wolfhound. Once Clan Wolf refitted it with Clan Technology, it became a unique Clan technology Wolfhound IIC.

It would be a bit odd, to have all the regular Wolfhounds being Inner Sphere 'Mechs, and the Hero being a Clan 'Mech.

#3 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:30 PM

While thematically (unique geometry and paintjob) the Wolfhound Hero will probably be "Grinner", as it is the most iconic and well-known Wolfhound, it would still need to be the IS version of the mech. Making an IS mech that uses Clan technology just breaks the whole "pure separation of technology stance" that PGI has taken. It sets a bad precedent for the future and also dilutes the difference between the faction types.

Now, as Smith Gibson points out, the IS version of the mech is nothing more than a stock WLF-1. So, PGI would need to make changes to it to make it something truly unique. Some methodologies that PGI could take:

1. Put energy hardpoints in each arm, directing more firepower to the arms than are in the torsos (however this starts to get more Firestarter themed in hardpoint build).

2. Give it ECM and lighter/restricted weaponry (not unlike the Pirate's Bane apocryphal build).

3. Give it Jump Jets and fewer (5 max) hardpoints (add some agility while retaining iconic Wolfhound durability).

Any of those options would create something unique and "Hero-esque" for the Wolfhound. My personal preference would probably be #3, as long as they truly maintained the iconic Wolfhound durability. I want my Wolfhounds to feel like the tough SOBs that they are in lore (stock the thing carries max armor for a 35 tonner, which is as much as most medium mechs -of the era- carry stock).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users