19 replies to this topic

#1 Illydth

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon MO

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:21 PM

So I'm a returning MWO player, just having come back from over a year of hiatus.

Picked up a clan mech (TBR-S) and a clan package including a TBR-S, so now I have 2 of the same chassis.

Looking for advice. I really don't need 2 TBR-S mechs, so I have (as I see it) two options:

* Strip the second TBR-S of everything (Omnipods, Weapons, Equipment, Modules, Engine, etc.) and sell what's left.

* Sell the whole thing lock, stock and barrel.

Keep in mind I'm back after a long hiatus so I don't have a huge stockpile of equipment and such.

In general: Is it cheaper/better/more reasonable for me to sell off the whole thing or to strip it for later?
In specific to this model: Does the above answer change things?

--Illydth

#2 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:27 PM

Strip one down to nothing and sell it.

#3 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:34 PM

If you are thinking of playing Community Warfare at some point, I would keep the spare TBR at least until you need the mechbay for something else.

#4 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:41 PM

Keep until desperate for the space. Duplicate chassis will help with your CW drop decks.

Also, it is possible to earn quite a few mechbay rewards through CW and events.

#5 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:51 PM

I virtually never sell mechs. You never know when something will be good all of a sudden (hello, TDRs) and mechbays are pretty cheap. Mechs and upgrades are not. The return on selling is so poor that unless you're desperate for the bays, it's rarely worth it.

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:54 PM

I'm with those above who say to hold on to #2 until you're desperate for the mech bay.

Further to that, you've demonstrated a willingness to drop some IRL cash on the game, so even then I'd consider buying some MC, dropping some MC on a new mech bay or two as needed, and driving on.

The really COOL thing about having two of the same chassis, is that you can immediately leave a match once you've been killed, get in the EXACT SAME CHASSIS (the duplicate), and drop again in it, while the other duplicate is still tied up in an ongoing match.

So, AT THE VERY LEAST, hold on to both until you've achieved MASTER skill on that chassis. But really, the TBR-S is a cool chassis to have. You may consider hanging on to BOTH if you're going to play CW (again echoing the above), in case you've got a favorite loadout on that particular chassis and want to run two instances of it in your drop deck. OR two different loadouts you like on the TBR-S chassis, and you want BOTH in your drop deck. No need, then, to compromise on having the TBR-S versus a different variant.

Still, I feel your struggle with the C-Bills. Keep an eye on the announcements. There tend to be a fair number of contests that award C-Bills (the recent Territorial Challenge and Payback Event, which were back-to-back, were good examples). We've had THREE just since I started playing again in early August (the previously-mentioned two, plus the Oceanic Takeover Event). AND there were the loyalty rewards that just released (an additional 2,000,000 C-Bills, 300 MC, four mechs, five mech bays, and a cupcake). You'll be able to grind up some hefty C-Bill bonuses on those events. AND I'd consider Premium Time when you know you're going to have some time to play.

Right now is a GREAT time to grind up the TBRs, by the way. The loyalty rewards program just dropped at least three (3) medium mechs, the Shadow Cat just released for C-Bills (another medium), and the Resistance II Crab (yet another medium) just released today to package buyers. The solo queue was 45-50% or more MEDIUM when I looked several minutes ago, with heavy at about 23-26%, assault in the teens, and lights in the single digits. So, it's as easy as it's been in a month or more, to get a drop in the PUG queue in a heavy mech like your TBR-S. GO NUTTS!

One last thing: WELCOME BACK! Like you, I took a long break from MW:O. Spent about 16 months playing the whole Borderlands series, having left just before the Clan Invasion first hit, and before Community Warfare began. A lot has changed. It's a better game now, and it's steadily improving. GLAD TO HAVE YOU BACK IN THE 31ST CENTURY!

#7 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:55 PM

View PostPalor, on 06 October 2015 - 08:27 PM, said:

Strip one down to nothing and sell it.

One bad thing about clan tech is that there's no way to strip out the engine and re-purpose it for another 'Mech. Engines are expensive, and you take a heavy loss on resales.

#8 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:19 PM

View Postno one, on 06 October 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

One bad thing about clan tech is that there's no way to strip out the engine and re-purpose it for another 'Mech. Engines are expensive, and you take a heavy loss on resales.

On the other hand, there's no way to strip out the engine in a Clan mech and REPLACE it, either, so until we face the Clan BATTLEmechs (Origins IIC collection), it's really not much of an issue.

I get the point. It'd be nice to yank out the engines in those extra variants or spare duplicates, sell them, and have a pile o' cash to upgrade. Agreed. For the moment, though, Omnimechs are really simpler than regular battlemechs that way. You can't do the back-and-forth with EndoSteel, FerroFibrous, or DHS. You can't go swappin' engines, just to find out that you REALLY wanted one just one rating step different and therefore wasted 3 million C-Bills. It's not a half-bad way to ease into mech building, actually. MAN, what I'd give to be able to swap an XL225 into an ACH...

#9 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:31 PM

Never sell expensive mechs!
Actually, never sell any mech. The bucket you didn't dare to look at could become the next big meta thing before you know it.
It happend before (i'm looking at you, thunderbolts and dragons) it will happen again.

#10 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:33 PM

I too will chime in with clan omnis you can have one setup and while that one is in game you can drop with the other one to be able to continue working on the chasis

You can also have 2 for community warfare purposes to help fill out the drop deck and each one carrying a different or same loadout

I would say don't sell it as you really don't get alot back unless your hurting for more mechbays and you really don't need the extra timberwolf so keep it stored for now as you may find a later use for it

Edited by Chocowolf, 06 October 2015 - 10:41 PM.

#11 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,819 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:42 PM

It's a Clan 'mech; there really isn't any such thing as a Timber Wolf S, because the CT makes a trivial difference to the rest of the chassis. That being said, because of this you should simply keep the timber wolf variants that you want, and then strip the extra(s) down to the CT and sell them. Omnipods are like engines - sell them off now, and you'll likely regret it sometime later.

#12 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:01 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 06 October 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

I get the point. It'd be nice to yank out the engines in those extra variants or spare duplicates, sell them, and have a pile o' cash to upgrade. Agreed.

Well, more like it's bloody silly that you have to buy the same 'Mech plus engine three times in the first place. Omni variants aren't really distinct 'Mechs like IS variants. The only reason it's done this way is to force some kind of parity with IS 'Mechs in the skill system. If we're being honest though the 'you have to buy three variants' system has always been a bit ******** all around.

View PostTheRAbbi, on 06 October 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

MAN, what I'd give to be able to swap an XL225 into an ACH...

Yeah, I'd had hope they'd let us convert Clan 'Mechs to run as non-omnis with engine swaps and upgrades so long as they used internally consistent modules.
Personally I would burn my taint hairs off for the ability to save multiple 'Mech loadouts or for a properly expressed low cap high dissipation heat system.

Edited by no one, 06 October 2015 - 11:04 PM.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:21 PM

I persionaly would sell the duplicate, you do not need to strip it just make sure you do not tick the with equipment box when going to sell.

I have well over 100 Mechs so selling Mechs I do not enjoy playing or in the case of Clan Omnimechs not keeping more than 2 of a specific chassis unless there is a specific hardpoint on the CT which I want makes sense.

in your case you said you got a pack with Timber Wolves, I assume that means you have 4 Timber Wolves total (including the 2 -S), in that case there is no point keeping the duplicate -S unless you are after following TheRabi's advice and using both to work on the skill tree by quitting the match as soon as you die.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 07 October 2015 - 01:24 AM.

#14 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:38 PM

Never sell any mechs, especially if it's one of the best chassis in the game!
Besides, the TBR-S has the best CT, since it enables you to have only 1 JJ (which is enough for traversing rough terrain).

Right now, I've got 3 Timber Wolves ready to drop:
- a brawler with SPLs and SRM6s
- medium range ERML+UAC10
- long range using Gauss and LPL

But there are many more builds I would like to have: like the classic 2LPL 5ERML laservomit or maybe some crazy UAC20+UAC5 build or even LRMboat

#15 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:02 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 06 October 2015 - 10:42 PM, said:

It's a Clan 'mech; there really isn't any such thing as a Timber Wolf S, because the CT makes a trivial difference to the rest of the chassis. That being said, because of this you should simply keep the timber wolf variants that you want, and then strip the extra(s) down to the CT and sell them. Omnipods are like engines - sell them off now, and you'll likely regret it sometime later.

Actually, the TBR-S is one of the 3 distinct CTs in the TBR chassis. 3 of them (-A, -C, -D) have an E hardpoint, one (-PRIME) has a B hardpoint (strange and not all that useful), and the -S has a jump jet.

#16 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:09 AM

View PostTorezu, on 07 October 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

Actually, the TBR-S is one of the 3 distinct CTs in the TBR chassis. 3 of them (-A, -C, -D) have an E hardpoint, one (-PRIME) has a B hardpoint (strange and not all that useful), and the -S has a jump jet.

Indeed. The TBR is one of the clan mechs where the TBR makes the most difference. The S's CT is the only way to get only a single JJ (a good thing), the A/C/D allows a single slot energy weapon without any of the negative penalties that many of the omnipods suffer and the Prime CT offers, well, nothing of value since a one-slot ballistic is useless on a heavy mech.

#17 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:36 AM

View PostTercieI, on 07 October 2015 - 07:09 AM, said:

...and the Prime CT offers, well, nothing of value since a one-slot ballistic is useless on a heavy mech.

Unless you want a gag build. Gag build!

#18 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:34 AM

View PostTorezu, on 07 October 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

Unless you want a gag build. Gag build!

You're right. That build makes me gag.

#19 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,819 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:45 PM

View PostTorezu, on 07 October 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

Hence "trivial" difference instead of no difference. There is some difference, and some may consider the single jump jet to be more than trivially important - my point was that only the CT matters, and that only somewhat, so it's not necessary to keep a lot of CTs around unless you have a specific purpose.

#20 Illydth

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon MO

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:31 PM

Thank you all VERY much for the advice, that's alot of great stuff to think about.

I'm NOT adverse to dropping cash on the game if I feel a good reason to do so, so the mechbay...not much of a concern. My larger concern is the CBIll cost of additional equipment (like unlocked modules or the larger/heavier weapons) which I do NOT have a significant amount of given that I'm mostly playing clan mechs these days and I have few of the "C" varients of weapons right now.

Again, thank you all for the great advice...and thanks for the welcome back, still trying to get my proverbial mech feet under me these days.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users