Fix Crimson Straight

35 replies to this topic

#21 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:58 PM

I think just taking speed tweak away from heavies would be enough.

each weight class should have its own unique skill tree.

Lights 80-100kph and firepower of 5-15

nah thats way too slow for lights lol.

mostly the speeds we have now are fine... but heavies should lose speed tweak.

Edited by Khobai, 08 October 2015 - 10:02 PM.

#22 Speedy Plysitkos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:02 PM

crimson is fine. there are much worse maps.

#23 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:53 PM

View PostPjwned, on 08 October 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

The biggest problem with Crimson Strait is that 1 side of the map has only 1 valid approach to get anywhere (i.e the bridge) and the other side of the map can go through the pass (and usually get stomped because the entire enemy team will always be there) or they can go through the city (or maybe the tunnel which is a very minor variation) and then end up approaching the bridge anyways because there's nowhere else to go from there.

The map needs to be opened up more in that area and the desolate water areas out in the open with no cover also need to be changed.

This pretty much nailed what I was trying to say. The fight normally takes place in the middle of every map and this middle area is just too restricted. I think the new caustic is a great change. It's still open enough for LRMs to have their level but much more cover for brawling. I've been playing for more than 2 years and am tier 1 to answer your questions.

#24 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:08 AM

As far as maps in MWO go.. Grimson straight is one of the best... Its got good LRM capability and good brawling capability, plus, has excellent cover. It has undergrund areas. It has many many tactical options.

Personally, if there's anything that needs changing on this map, is that it needs to be bigger.

But in my opinion, nothing needs "fixing".

The platform is usualy where fights start, but NOT where they are settled. They are usualy settled in the tunnel, or the city past the tunnel on both sides.

#25 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:18 AM

Personally, if there's anything that needs changing on this map, is that it needs to be bigger.

the map needs to be less bottlenecked too. the problem with a lot of mwo maps is that theyre bottlenecked so fighting always occurs at the same spot over and over.

saddle needs to be less bottleneck. tunnel needs to be less bottlenecked. water around the island needs more cover so going water isnt complete suicide.

#26 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:26 AM

if ur loosing on crisom all of the time ... ITS UR FAULT!
you can say that the map is boring,ok !
but complaining about loosing????
come on!

#27 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:55 AM

View PostLordDante, on 09 October 2015 - 02:26 AM, said:

if ur loosing on crisom all of the time ... ITS UR FAULT!
you can say that the map is boring,ok !
but complaining about loosing????
come on!

I'm not complaining about losing, I'm complaining about a level design where the team that spawns on the platform side pretty much always grabs it and holds it. Again I'm referring to solo drops, no competitive group would pack all their team in a little bunch and sit there. It's just like everyone holds the center of Terra Therma or takes Candy Mountain, but at least those positions are strategically worth taking. I think the mountain should be cut to 1/4 height to allow the fight to flow from one area to another and to allow more maneuvering.

#28 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 10 October 2015 - 05:08 AM

There are very few cases where staying in a static position is a good idea in MW:O. The top of the platform in Crimson Straight is not one of those cases. It is exposed and can be flanked easily. There are more advantageous places on that map to fight if your team spawns on that side.

#29 SkyHammyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 462 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:53 AM

Team is bad and plays bad.
Blames PGI for map design.

#30 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,363 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:01 AM

Every time they "fix" a map it becomes more annoying than it was, please DON'T

#31 Lucian Nostra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:06 AM

I used to think the bridge was the key to victory, now I much prefer having the city to defend from. Overall Crimson strait is fine.. if there's a map in dire need of fixing it's Terra Therma.. that map is just horrible victory is USUALLY sealed in the first 2 minutes by whatever side gets the bowl.. very rare will you lose if you get it.

#32 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:29 AM

Weird. I thought this thread would be about the non-displayed mechs in the tunnel... that's the part about the map that actually needed fixing. Is that still a thing? :rolleyes:

#33 Love in an Annihilator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:23 AM

The only maps they should "fix" are TT and AP 'cause it very often is more of a race than a fight and a team can be effed when their assaults spawn in Indonesia.

Leave the other maps alone.

I'd prefer completely new maps, redoings of FC and CV were quite underwhelming... .

#34 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:58 AM

View PostSkyHammr, on 10 October 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

Team is bad and plays bad.
Blames PGI for map design.

View PostKisumiKitsune, on 10 October 2015 - 08:35 AM, said:

The problem is pugs. No amount of map change will fix that.

Other maps don't have this big of a problem. Tourmaline, Caustic, Frozen City, Canyon Network, HPG. These all have fights occur in the same spots usually but the battle can easily flow from one area to another. Crimson Straight more than any other requires a unanimous group effort to make anything happen.

Crimson is actually one of the most versatile maps out there right now in my opinion. In what other map do you have three different equally valid avenues of approach? The addition of cover and vertical movement are great. Many good fights to be had on Crimson. Pugs will just ruin everything.

My suggestion is to join an organized unit and experience what it feels like to have real communication on your side, if you want a change from solo queue positioning.

I've played on units and when I decide what country I'm going to stay in for a while I'll join another. I know the problems with this map are related solely to solo que. Which is still half of the game and shouldn't be ignored.

#35 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:37 AM

Can't fix something that isn't broken *shrug*.

Honestly, Crimson seems like one of the better maps in the game. To each their own I suppose.

#36 Madrummer

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:50 AM

View PostThe Atlas Overlord, on 08 October 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

Very Very true....

If I had my way it would look something like this with our current armor values unchanged.

Lights 80-100kph and firepower of 5-15
Mediums 65-80 and firepower of 15-25
Heavies 50-65 and firepower of 25-35
Assaults 35-50 and firepower of 40-60

In addition, every mech would have a fixed torso twist, mech turn, acceleration, deceleration, and arm movement speed....bigger engine would just increase top speed.

Bring a small slow engine... you have enough tons left to max out the firepower...

Bring the fastest engine... welp, you won't be doing much damage... but you'll have that speed you want so you can hopefully use it to avoid enemy fire and live longer to build up damage over time rather than needing to be able to defend yourself with pure firepower.

So at the extreme ends... you'd have a 35kph slow *** assault praying that he could bring his big *** weapons to bear against a 100kph light whittling him down.

If the assault pilot can't aim... he loses.

If the light pilot isn't good enough to use his speed and small size to avoid the big guns.. .he dies.

Choices. Trade-offs. Roles.

Edit: This would have the added benefit of making the "race to the same spot and do the same thing" impossible b/c your slow guys would actually be slow.

Maps would take longer to traverse and would seem bigger.

So it would create roles, force choices to matter, AND undo the need to constantly keep redoing maps b/c "They're too small"

I am so glad you don't have it your way lol...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users