Quit While Your Ahead, And You'll Be Ahead!

34 replies to this topic

#21 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:27 PM

View PostWater Bear, on 08 October 2015 - 12:21 PM, said:

I think it might depend on who you are. I've seen threads about people going down on a loss with ~500 damage. I tend to go up in that range, but it all depends (probably on the rating of the other people in the game).

500 damage is not 500 match score. It has nothing to do with who you are, but what you have done in addition to that that 500 damage matters.

#22 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:32 PM

This thread is a destination versus journey at its finest.

#23 MysticLink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:34 PM

All the maps I have more wins then losses except for two maps. Canyon and river city, although that latter has been improving ever since they changed the map. Canyon I have two losses more then wins, and 7 more losses then wins in river city, 0.98 and 0.95 every other map is over.

It's not only about the rank, I want to have a + win loss ratio on every map.

I don't know why I make these goals but it makes me try harder.

This way I will have more wins then losses hopefully on every map.

#24 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PostWater Bear, on 08 October 2015 - 12:21 PM, said:

I think it might depend on who you are. I've seen threads about people going down on a loss with ~500 damage. I tend to go up in that range, but it all depends (probably on the rating of the other people in the game).

It depends on if you lose or win.
Read what I wrote above.
Also, damage is not equal to score. It makes the majority, but not all of it.

#25 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:38 PM

View PostPaigan, on 08 October 2015 - 12:36 PM, said:

It depends on if you lose or win.
Read what I wrote above.
Also, damage is not equal to score. It makes the majority, but not all of it.

I did say 500 damage and lose. Some people have made 500 (damage) + loss and still gone down.

View PostBilbo, on 08 October 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

500 damage is not 500 match score. It has nothing to do with who you are, but what you have done in addition to that that 500 damage matters.

500 damage may not be 500 match score, but it is 250. If the guy was talking about score and not damage then my bad.

Edit: I see that you were talking about match score. Oops.

Edited by Water Bear, 08 October 2015 - 12:40 PM.

#26 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:39 PM

View PostRhaythe, on 08 October 2015 - 12:32 PM, said:

This thread is a destination versus journey at its finest.

LOL my friend and I were just talking about that. It's all about the journey!

#27 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:41 PM

View PostWater Bear, on 08 October 2015 - 12:38 PM, said:

I did say 500 damage and lose. Some people have made 500 (damage) + loss and still gone down.

Hm then I seem to have misunderstood that. My bad :)

#28 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:45 PM

All you have to do is play for a very long time, and average a W/L ratio of 0.45 or higher.

That will net you enough points to reach level 1 eventually. You just needed to accumulate enough points, and it's not hard. It just takes a long time, and a near-even W/L ratio will keep your points coming in until you hit the point cap at the top of Tier 1.

P.S. if you "quit while you're ahead" then it will take you LONGER to reach Tier 1 ... You can only reach Tier1 by playing copious number of games.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 08 October 2015 - 12:46 PM.

#29 MysticLink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:53 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 08 October 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

All you have to do is play for a very long time, and average a W/L ratio of 0.45 or higher.

That will net you enough points to reach level 1 eventually. You just needed to accumulate enough points, and it's not hard. It just takes a long time, and a near-even W/L ratio will keep your points coming in until you hit the point cap at the top of Tier 1.

P.S. if you "quit while you're ahead" then it will take you LONGER to reach Tier 1 ... You can only reach Tier1 by playing copious number of games.

Really?

Really? Man this sucks. Ok forget the goal of tier 1. I want win loss ratio with higher wins on EVERY map.

#30 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:41 PM

View PostMysticLink, on 08 October 2015 - 12:53 PM, said:

Really?

Really? Man this sucks. Ok forget the goal of tier 1. I want win loss ratio with higher wins on EVERY map.

Yeah, the "Tier system" does not directly measure skill, as a new player who wins 50 consecutive matches while stomping the enemy will be a Tier 4 or Tier 3 player. Why? Because it takes a large number of matches for you to get enough points where you start going up in tiers.

The Tier system is good for the purpose of differentiating players who are very experienced from inexperienced players. Player skill typically follows experience. If you play a huge number of matches at an even W/L ratio, then your PSR points will see a net rise over time, and you'll move up the tiers.

Playing very well will get you more points faster, playing poorly will detract points from you r record, but playing at an average 50% win rate will get you an average gain in points over time since (again, on averge) wins grant you more points than loses take away.

#31 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

Unless you really suck, you can lose 3-4 times per win and still go upwards.

#32 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:50 PM

I prefer my method: Play every second match in a MG nova and every 3rd match in an LRM atlas. Doing wonders for my Tier.

#33 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:44 PM

The best I can tell you roughly need about a 250 matchscore on a loss not to go down and over 400 matchscore on a loss to go up. I'm not sure what the minimum match score on a win puts you up, but it's really low.

The best way to maximize your match score is to just do a lot of damage. 500 damage will give you a 250 matchscore even if you did nothing else. Also you don't increase the same every time it goes up. There are at least a few levels of increase so if you're kicking a lot of butt, you'll go up faster, then if you're just getting by with bare minimum scores. There's a fellow on reddit who is seeing how quickly he can grind a fresh account from tier 4 to tier 1. At last update he had just reached tier 2 after 165 games with a positive, but not crazy W/L ratio. If you can get your matchscores up consistently (especially on the bad losses) you'll hit tier 1 in no time.

Edited by Jman5, 08 October 2015 - 04:45 PM.

#34 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:42 PM

to level 1 ? to meta tryhards ? oh no.

Best there is T4 (it can get T5 toasters, T4 new players, T3/2 teamplay oriented players.
And it avoids T1. My goal is T4 for long term run. (ye and there is also fun)

#35 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:39 PM

View PostBilbo, on 08 October 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

Something tells me you generally don't have streaks of losses. The bar movement is so miniscule you have to be on a streak to see movement in my experience.

Oh i've had and have plenty of losing streaks. Biggest streak was something like 20 losses in a row.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users