Overall Event Suggestions

No replies to this topic

#1 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:48 AM

Here are a few things I think would improve events.

*Have Events last the entire week. This will allow people who don't have much time on the weekend to play when they want to and it will allow players to chose to either play a little everyday of the week or cram it all in on 1 day.

*Make earning the rewards more reliable. For example I think it should either be purely based on how many wins you have or perhaps your cumulative match score for the week. For example lets say if you earn 1000 points you get a free mech bay, so you play your first match and have a bad time and only score 30 match points, then on your next match you score 350, then your next you score 500, then your next 180 and then you are given your free mech bay.

The purpose of this is that it doesn't eliminate poor players, they will just take longer to get the prize and it rewards good players because they get the prizes quicker. By requiring a high match score plus some other requirement it forces people to be more aggressive and focus more on gaming the system and can lead to more frustration. So if you have to get a kill and earn 400 points, you will probably be very mad if you have a fantastic game but never manage to land a kill shot, or you get a kill but only manage to score 390, ect.

Whatever rewards you give should use this basic principle: an averagely skilled player should be able to play 5 hours and unlock the top reward for the week. I think 5 hours is a good rule of thumb because it means that they can play for about half an hour to hour everyday of the week and maybe bump it up 1 day or two. And using my suggestion players will constantly be making progress so they will continue to want to play.

*Add more events. I think that there should be some kind of event almost every week or at least once a month. The types can change though. For example maybe 1 week its simply a 100% bonus to XP, next week its 50% bonus to c-bills, maybe you have a premium week where premium time effects are doubled and premium mechs bonus is doubled. Then mix it up with some more traditional events where perhaps if you earn 1000 points you get a mech bay, 1500 points you get 1million c-bills, ect.

*Make some events for different players. I mentioned making earning points more casual friendly, but you don't have to do this for all events. Have some events only reward people in groups (or better yet just give a bonus to them), maybe make some events very hard to achieve and perhaps reward the players that get it something like a title. This way they can show off. But most events should try to be all inclusive.

*Be generous with rewards. I'm not saying this as a player but as someone who has studied consumer behavior. Give out plenty of mechbays as rewards because the only way to use them are to buy new mechs ;). Give out cockpit decorations because once a player has 1 they might want to get more for their other mechs. Give out camos and/or color unlocks, because if you get people to start playing 'dress up' you can get them hooked.

Also give away mechs more often, I'm not saying you should give away popular mechs but give away mechs that people don't purchase often. Players will still enjoy trying a new mech, if they already have it they can sell it and if they really enjoy it they will spend c-bills upgrading it and might buy other mechs to elite it, ect.

Being generous is a win-win. The players will think you guys are great; people will want to log in to get their free stuff even if they weren't planning on playing (and now that they have free stuff they will want to try it out); getting stuff is fun and addicting; and as you should know consumerism is fed by getting stuff not satiated by it (the more you have the more you want).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users