The Urbanmech. Why and why not?

396 replies to this topic

#181 Sidra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostDamion Sparhawk, on 09 July 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

I didn't forget, I don't have a picture of god to photoshop onto an urbie (those are only one's that I personally have shopped) I might do a jesus urbie though...

I'm Christian, and I still would laugh so loudly at that picture XD

#182 wargonglok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationIowa, training my urbie combat skills in the sacred temple of the urbies

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Maybe darth urbie? karate urbie?

oh i got it!! potato urbie!!!

#183 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

Quite honestly I can't see why people go off on the Urbanmech, and not the Commando.

"Urbanmech is designed for urban combat! That's too much of a niche role!"

The freakin Commando was designed to counter the legions of 20 ton Wasps & Stingers! It has their speed, but lacks jump jets, and carries enough SRMs to toast either of those super common scouts. That is its role. Wasp & Stinger hunter. And the Lyrans thought it did a darn good job.

Only guess what. The Wasp & Stinger may never even be in the game! So far no 20 ton mech is! So the entire point of the Commando as a hunter killer of ubiquitous 20 ton scouts becomes absolutely 100% pointless in this game, because the only scouts it can take on are Jenners and Ravens, which will likely pancake the Commando into a flaming short stack special!

(yeah yeah, theres a fluff-canon Commando that mounts a Large Laser in its right arm. That would be more useful I think.)

#184 Sidra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

View Postwargonglok, on 09 July 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

Maybe darth urbie? karate urbie?

oh i got it!! potato urbie!!!

omg no, the count to potato joke spurning it's hilarious and offensive head x3 cant stop laughing XD

#185 ownka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostBuck Rogers, on 09 July 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Quite honestly I can't see why people go off on the Urbanmech, and not the Commando.

The freakin Commando was designed to counter the legions of 20 ton Wasps & Stingers! It has their speed, but lacks jump jets, and carries enough SRMs to toast either of those super common scouts. That is its role. Wasp & Stinger hunter. And the Lyrans thought it did a darn good job.

Only guess what. The Wasp & Stinger may never even be in the game! So far no 20 ton mech is! So the entire point of the Commando as a hunter killer of ubiquitous 20 ton scouts becomes absolutely 100% pointless in this game, because the only scouts it can take on are Jenners and Ravens, which will likely pancake the Commando into a flaming short stack special!

(yeah yeah, theres a fluff-canon Commando that mounts a Large Laser in its right arm. That would be more useful I think.)

The commando can still scout, and between its size and its speed it will probably be quite hard to hit. I can't imagine it taking anything else down 1v1 but a skilled commando can strafe past and deliver a few quick hits before the enemy has time to turn around and shoot back. An urbie sneak attack would be funny, but that urbie is just going to be standing there when the hunchback turns around to see whats poking them in the butt.

#186 Monolith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 134 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee, USA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

I don't know... I think a good photoshopped image would be for an Atlas (or some other mech with hand actuators) to peel the head off the urbie and drop some trash in there...

But there is no reason (I believe) for us not to expect them to make many dozens of mechs available to us at some point... Look at the work mektek did. Something like over 100 mechs available to play in the last version of their mekpaks? Anyways. Just sayin'. I think we should have high expectations. That PGI should know we have a very high bar for them as far as a satisfying experience in a Mechwarrior game goes. We need to keep them honest, and demanding an Urbanmech, in addition to dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and maybe just a few dozens more different mech chassis is just one small step in doing that.

#187 Damion Sparhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostSidra, on 09 July 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

omg no, the count to potato joke spurning it's hilarious and offensive head x3 cant stop laughing XD

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
I couldn't make just one potato urbie, so we have, urbiespudinator, spudsmcurbie, and mrurbiehead.

Edited by Damion Sparhawk, 09 July 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#188 Damascas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

View PostBuck Rogers, on 09 July 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Except the commando can fight in more than 1 situation effectively. I do not hate the urbie but I would rather see other light mechs which have not become running jokes within the fan community. The original argument for the urbie was because it is a fan favorite as the ultimate underdog.

#189 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

View PostDamascas, on 09 July 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

Except the commando can fight in more than 1 situation effectively. I do not hate the urbie but I would rather see other light mechs which have not become running jokes within the fan community. The original argument for the urbie was because it is a fan favorite as the ultimate underdog.

The Commandos primary weapons are all extremely short ranged. It will have to get up close & personal to do any real damage. It's also only 11kph faster than a Trebuchet or Dragon, so it won't even be able to flee the scene effectively like the Jenner & Cicada can. Against even a beginner pilot, in this game, a Commando only has the hope of taking down another Commando. In what situations in this game can the Commando fight effectively? You can't fight effectively in a mech that was designed solely to take down lighter mechs than itself, if there are no lighter mechs than itself. The Commando could do some limited harassing, but that's about it.

When I think of the Urbanmech being designed solely for Urban combat, I think "I see quite a few maps with lots of buildings on them. Urbanmech could be a viable mech for those maps."

When I think of the Commando being designed solely to take down 20 ton mechs, I think "Wait a minute. There are no 20 ton mechs in this game."

#190 Damion Sparhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostBuck Rogers, on 09 July 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

The Commandos primary weapons are all extremely short ranged. It will have to get up close & personal to do any real damage. It's also only 11kph faster than a Trebuchet or Dragon, so it won't even be able to flee the scene effectively like the Jenner & Cicada can. Against even a beginner pilot, in this game, a Commando only has the hope of taking down another Commando. In what situations in this game can the Commando fight effectively? You can't fight effectively in a mech that was designed solely to take down lighter mechs than itself, if there are no lighter mechs than itself. The Commando could do some limited harassing, but that's about it.

When I think of the Urbanmech being designed solely for Urban combat, I think "I see quite a few maps with lots of buildings on them. Urbanmech could be a viable mech for those maps."

When I think of the Commando being designed solely to take down 20 ton mechs, I think "Wait a minute. There are no 20 ton mechs in this game."

good points but you're forgetting one thing, well, two things really, one being the mechlab 'designed to' only goes so far as to limiting what hardpoints you have available, and of course the second thing is there's no 20 ton mechs in the game 'NOW' but then, they haven't released all the mech's yet either ^.^

#191 wargonglok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationIowa, training my urbie combat skills in the sacred temple of the urbies

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostDamion Sparhawk, on 09 July 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
I couldn't make just one potato urbie, so we have, urbiespudinator, spudsmcurbie, and mrurbiehead.
thank you so much. we need a photoalbum, and a facebook page, and some reddit action in honor of your great photoshopping and urbie

#192 Damion Sparhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

View Postwargonglok, on 09 July 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

thank you so much. we need a photoalbum, and a facebook page, and some reddit action in honor of your great photoshopping and urbie

lol I appreciate the praise, though I'm a terrible 'shopper, the urbie just makes it easy XD

#193 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

Lol so the Commando is useless in the game because it is slightly faster than a Dragon or Trebuchet but has short ranged weapons, but the Urbanmech would be a great light mech because it is slower than everything else and mounts a single AC/10? I honestly want to ask all the pro urbie people how they plan to utilize this mech and modify it in the mechlab. If it gets in the game (and it will probably be in at some point or another) how many pilots will keep that 30 kph top speed to mount that AC. I imagine that all urbies seen will soon mount either an mg or smaller AC in place of the AC/10 to free up tonnage to make them faster because otherwise the fight will be over by the time they get there.

#194 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

View PostDamion Sparhawk, on 09 July 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

good points but you're forgetting one thing, well, two things really, one being the mechlab 'designed to' only goes so far as to limiting what hardpoints you have available, and of course the second thing is there's no 20 ton mechs in the game 'NOW' but then, they haven't released all the mech's yet either ^.^

Yeah, the more I think about it, I'm getting a sneaky suspicion that one of the big surprises the devs will unleash is some 20 tonners. Which would validate the Commando being in the game. I like the mech. It just, like the Urbanmech, has a niche combat role, and that's been my entire point.

#195 Odweaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

View PostTincan Nightmare, on 09 July 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

Lol so the Commando is useless in the game because it is slightly faster than a Dragon or Trebuchet but has short ranged weapons, but the Urbanmech would be a great light mech because it is slower than everything else and mounts a single AC/10? I honestly want to ask all the pro urbie people how they plan to utilize this mech and modify it in the mechlab. If it gets in the game (and it will probably be in at some point or another) how many pilots will keep that 30 kph top speed to mount that AC. I imagine that all urbies seen will soon mount either an mg or smaller AC in place of the AC/10 to free up tonnage to make them faster because otherwise the fight will be over by the time they get there.

Strip it,
Swap Engine, Structure, and armor
Probably put an ac/5 on it like suggested earlier.

Use it to screen for the Missile boats and snipers.

#196 Damascas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

The commando could be used easily to ambush other lights, harass scouts, screen for fire support and assaults, and harass assaults and fire support. It is not the fastest light around but has a good amount of fire power for its chassis as well as enough speed to get the job done. I do not see it always outrunning a dragon but the dragon is probably the best confirmed light hunter so far.

#197 Eddy Hawkins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

Some have spoken about how the Urbie fills a role in the MW universe but haven’t done a good job in saying what that role is. Also, i think people tend to forget that there are things other then just Mechs in MW universe.

Here’s my take:

- If a Lyran planet needs to put down a protest, having a few Urbies move in can quickly put protesters in their place. These things can reinforce police units and provide support in these roles.

- At 20t its not going to damage any city infrastructure, try moving an Atlas around NYC and you are going to get huge pothole foot prints, busted underground piping and collapsed bridges.

- 360 firing arc, in an Urban environment this is amazing. The Urbie can hit a corner and shoot down a side street (or two) while continuing to face forward or it can move forward and shoot targets behind it. Not many mechs can do that.

- These things are cheap to maintain vs real mechs, you need to guard some checkpoint or depot or some other inner-city location, use the Urbie and save the real mechs for more vital locations.

- It is meant as a low intensity mech, if hostile have nothing but small arms, armed trucks and light armored vehicles, this is the mech for you. If you need to maintain order or a presence in an area, this is the mech for you. if you are going against a real combat lance, even a scout lance, your Urbies are going to be nothing but speed bumps.

Now for MWO:

This thing is useless in straight up fights, low ammo and short range combined with thin armor and slow speed makes the Urbie nearly pointless in a online game with two exceptions...

- One, the Urbie would be useful if the teams have tonnage limits, e.g. if i take two Urbies, i can bring a heaver mech or more ammo, more armor, or more upgrades for my other mechs.

- Or, if there is a cbill limit on matches, where taking a cheaper mech would give the same benefits as the above point

Bottem line:

The developers have better IS mechs they could make, wolfhound maybe (not sure on timeline)? So stop asking for the Urbie!

#198 Odweaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostEddy Hawkins, on 09 July 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

Now for MWO:

This thing is useless in straight up fights, low ammo and short range combined with thin armor and slow speed makes the Urbie nearly pointless in a online game with two exceptions...

- One, the Urbie would be useful if the teams have tonnage limits, e.g. if i take two Urbies, i can bring a heaver mech or more ammo, more armor, or more upgrades for my other mechs.

- Or, if there is a cbill limit on matches, where taking a cheaper mech would give the same benefits as the above point

Bottem line:

The developers have better IS mechs they could make, wolfhound maybe (not sure on timeline)? So stop asking for the Urbie!

That relates to the stock Urbie, where the urbie would shine would be it's unique place in the mechlab considering it is the only light in the time period to mount an ac greater than 2.

As for the Wolfhound do we really need another laserboating light for the initial four lights?

#199 P1RATE

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Real men use an Urbie.
Atlas driving mechwarriors are compensating for something.

#200 Eddy Hawkins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

[color=#222222]No, but the Wolfhound is just a personal fav.

Not knowing how the Mechlab will work in MWO, its hard to say. However im inclined to say that the Urbies shortcomings are too great, its ment to be used in mass or in surprise actions vs Lances, and i just dont see that playing out in MWO without a cbill/tonnage limit on matches.

I play EvE Online, and masses of cheep ships vs a smaller number of more expensive ships is viable, but EvE is the only online game i have played that allows for the large number of players needed to make the enmass strat work. ( i have been in fights where 100s of players sometimes 1000s of players are active at once, puts 12v12 or even 50v50 FPS to shame in terms of scale).[/color]

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users