The Urbanmech. Why and why not?

396 replies to this topic

#301 BigJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

Mine doesn't go into battle any more; He's retired now & spends his time gardening, cleaning the car and doing minor DIY projects like building a picket fence.

Suburban Mech.

> Ok I'll leave now.

#302 wargonglok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationIowa, training my urbie combat skills in the sacred temple of the urbies

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

In Iowa we have the rural mech. some call it a tractor but it is secretly a giant stompy robot.

don't tell anyone i told you though!!!!

#303 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

View Postwargonglok, on 10 July 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

In Iowa we have the rural mech. some call it a tractor but it is secretly a giant stompy robot.

don't tell anyone i told you though!!!!

I FOUND YOUR URBIE.

Posted Image

#304 Tadakuma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

View PostVechs, on 08 July 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

I like how all the haters always pit the Urbanmech VS an Atlas or some other Assault in their hypothetical scenarios.

In MWO, the Urbanmech would be a for a light mech slot that doesn't want to scout.

You could have a medium be the scout, and the Urbanmech follow a Catapult around to bodyguard for it. Or you could swap the AC/10 for some longer range stuff and play as a light fire support.

Or maybe your team comp or specific strategy doesn't involve scouting as portrayed in the videos, and your team sticks together and moves as one unit. At that point, why not go for more firepower and armor over speed for your light mech slot?

The Urbanmech is designed as a cheap expendable attrition unit for urban areas and rear area garrisons, that is what it does and that's all it does. More importantly it is so slow it has to fight from ambush, so any mech that can't be take down in one shot will either disengage and get away or just kill the urbanmech by controlling the range or using speed to get behind the mech and kill it that way.

It has it's place in the BT universe but I can't see how you could use in the universe of MWO, and really can't see why you want to cripple a useful mech like a Centurion, Hunchback or Catapult by giving it a Urbanmech "bodyguard" because trading your ability to reach the fight is a timely fashion is made up for an AC10 (or even worse an AC20 that will die if you breath on it) will really not endear you to your team mates.

while I'm on, the AC20 armed Urbanmech is worse then the standard variant, you put a short range weapon on a slow mech and strip away it's armour (the only good quality of the Urban mech) so that unless you ambush something you will die.

and since I'm a hater I'll say that the only mechs I wouldn't back against an Urbanmech are the Locust, Stinger and Wasp. I don't need an assualt to take an urban you can do it with a commando. Anything the Urban adds to the game the Panther does better, a cheap attrition light with good armour and good firepower. You want a Panther or maybe a Valyrie.

It's not going to be in the game because Piranha appears to have brain and is being really careful about what mechs are in the game, they're not going to ruin it for cheap laughs.

#305 wargonglok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationIowa, training my urbie combat skills in the sacred temple of the urbies

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

The urbanmech isn't for cheap laughs. it is the most versatile light mech. sniper with ac 2, brawler at close and medium range with ac 10, sniper again with gauss, defender, zerg rush, jj sniper, command vehicle, one of few light mech with projectile hardpoints. the urbie is the mech for people who want a light mech but want some beef.

did i mention dfa?

#306 Schtirlitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

View PostCaptain Fabulous, on 10 July 2012 - 07:35 AM, said:

I FOUND YOUR URBIE.

Posted Image

It's a camouflage :)

#307 wargonglok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Will the camouflage be in game?

#308 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:53 AM

Versatile??

with it's speed?

I mean sure it can be beefed up, but that means even less payload and armor...

so how exactly is it versatile when it's baseline capability is quite short??

#309 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

@Mel
You're judging versatility by speed? It's quite obvious that it can reach higher speeds if it sacrifices firepower/armor. The same is true for any other Light Mech. But not every other Light Mech is loaded with so much Dakka. That is the kind of versatility we're talking about.

#310 Damion Sparhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

View PostBigJim, on 10 July 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

Mine doesn't go into battle any more; He's retired now & spends his time gardening, cleaning the car and doing minor DIY projects like building a picket fence.

Suburban Mech.

> Ok I'll leave now.

Posted Image

View PostCaptain Fabulous, on 10 July 2012 - 07:35 AM, said:

I FOUND YOUR URBIE.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#311 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

First of all: I feel quite alienated by the sheer amount of Urbanmech haters/lovers in this thread.
As a professional mech pilot (I inherited my fathers Archer ARC-5R when he died) I have a purely pragmatic view on this topic.

When looking at the specs of the mech I must honestly say that 32.4 km/h seems rediculous. I mean it should at least be as fast as an atlas methinks.
But on the other hand I think it would be fun (on a heavily urban map) to play in an urbanmech team. Imaging 10 urban mechs - power offline invisible on the radar - hiding between builings. I guess if you get attacked by two or three R2D2's at once is good bye atlas, jenner, whatever....

And after all playing MWO seems to be mainly about having fun. But then you should also have the "NO URBIES" Button in the gamesetuo for all the haters.

View PostVechs, on 08 July 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

So, basically, I think the Urbanmech is good because it's cheap, and it's cheap because it's bad. So I think it's good because it's bad.

Make sense?

Final words: Give me the Hollander - Also a Gauss cannon (15t) needs the same amount of critical slots (7) as an AC10 (12t), so maybe I build a sniper urban mech.....

Edited: OK wanderer you got me ... or no it was a secret prototype you can see a picture of it in my next post #317 :D

Edited by Red squirrel, 10 July 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#312 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

View PostRed squirrel, on 10 July 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

First of all: I feel quite alienated by the sheer amount of Urbanmech haters/lovers in this thread.
As a professional mech pilot (I inherited my fathers Archer ARC-5R when he died in 3037) I have a purely pragmatic view on this topic.

A professional might realize that the Mech he "inherited" in 3037 didn't even exist until 3050. You might want to fix that.

http://www.masteruni...9/Archer-ARC-5R

#313 Adrian Carino

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 133 posts
  • LocationEl Paso Texas

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

I feel that the Urbanmech simply won't be worth my time. At best it would be a trash can that would be overwhelmed by heavier fire power, or out maneuvered by faster mechs. Simply put, I won't pilot it.

#314 Damion Sparhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

View Postwanderer, on 10 July 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

A professional might realize that the Mech he "inherited" in 3037 didn't even exist until 3050. You might want to fix that.

http://www.masteruni...9/Archer-ARC-5R

I'm afraid you're going to have to find a more credible source, this is from Sarna
{ARC-5R - Built in the Free Rasalhague Republic prior to the Clan Invasion, the 5R is similar to the 2K model of the Archer, and is built on an Endo Steel chassis and upgrades its heat sinks to double heat sinks. The LRM-15 launchers have had Artemis IV fire control systems added for increased accuracy and the 'Mech now has two ER Large Lasers for long range direct firepower. BV (1.0) = 1,310}
however, this line is marked citation needed it isn't proven reliably either, still, two obviously contradicting origin dates would demand an investigation by one or the other party.

#315 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

Posted Image
I chose this camouflage urbanmech as my founders mech.

#316 wargonglok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

View PostMelcyna, on 10 July 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

Versatile??

with it's speed?

I mean sure it can be beefed up, but that means even less payload and armor...

so how exactly is it versatile when it's baseline capability is quite short??

you have trouble reading don't you, can any announced light mech snipe? brawl? defend as well. the urbies only downfall is its speed give it more speed and you have an op mech.

Edited by wargonglok, 10 July 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#317 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

View PostCCC Dober, on 10 July 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

@Mel
You're judging versatility by speed? It's quite obvious that it can reach higher speeds if it sacrifices firepower/armor. The same is true for any other Light Mech. But not every other Light Mech is loaded with so much Dakka. That is the kind of versatility we're talking about.

View Postwargonglok, on 10 July 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:

you have trouble reading don't you, can any announced light mech snipe? brawl? defend as well. the urbies only downfall is its speed give it more speed and you have an op mech.

A very bizarre notion of versatility if i may add since your weapon is not interchangeable in the field, so in fact you are LOCKED into your role once in the field, can an urby snipe with his AC-20? can he brawl with his AC-2? Does the projectile weaponry have more versatility? And In terms of choice the energy weapons have equally varied choices.

The only semblance of versatility would be the low heat inherent on them which gives more flexibility on their usage or rather less limitation on when it can be used, counterbalanced by the fact that they are bulky comparatively especially with the ammo and have limited munitions.

And speed is a VERY real component of versatility since whoever is faster dictates the engagement range, and whoever dictates the engagement range can CHOOSE the role he intend to perform to an extent or the course of action he intend to do.

A slow mech is the opposite of versatile... since if he intend to be an attacker he has limited choices on how to do so successfully and not shot to pieces and similarly on defense.

And to put it another way, you are going to beef up the urby speed? Ok, and anything you sacrifice to achieve that? could've been used for something else, be it more armor, more ammo, more firepower or what not...

Meanwhile a light mech with higher base speed can use the free weight/crit/etc for something else instead since it doesn't need to improve it's base speed to achieve the same limit, and if it so chooses can improve it's speed to beyond what you can possibly achieve with an urby.

So i am confused on how an urby is supposed to be .... 'versatile' here.

Edited by Melcyna, 10 July 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#318 wargonglok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

The urbie is versatile because can any other released mech mount a weapon for every range?

ac 2 long range so an urbie can snipe
ac 5 for good medium to long range

ac 10 short to medium (my favorite for a brawler build)

ac 20 my least favorite but strong at short range (least useful unless in city)

gauss sniping urbie

high armor so good defender

jj for urban positioning, dfa, and jj sniping.

the ideal mech for people who like light mech but don't want to scout, or hunt scouts.

the urbie is a joke, but also extremely viable. this mech bridges lights and medium mechs.

not including it would hurt my trust in the devs, because this is a great mech.

Edited by wargonglok, 10 July 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#319 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

So many simply forget that the mechlab exists and say the Urbie is slow. Here is one thing nobody can say anything against.

As you all know there are only a precious few light mechs with ballistic firepower beyond 1-2 MG's.
The Commando C1 and the Jackrabbit 8T have a AC 2's. The Urbie has an AC 10.

Is there any other mechs that have this much ballistic firepower? No? I didn't think so.
You could replace the MG's in some light mech with an AC 10 and they could do the same as the Urbie.
But there are surprisingly few light mechs with even such small amounts of ballistic firepower.

This puts the Commando C1, Jackrabbit 8T and the Urbie in a unique position amongst light mechs.

#320 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

The TT urbanmech is crap. It's supposed to be crap. It's purpose is just something to strap a gun too and litter a city with them, especially the AC/20 version. It makes sense when you have tonnage or BV to balance (especially tonnage). Some people think it's cute, and others think it's cute to drive around in a crapbox and do stuff with it.

Since we don't have BV in MWO, the mechs are getting 'balanced' between each other. This means that the Hunchback is competitive with the Atlas, even though BV wise and tonnage it should get destroyed. So really, any urbanmech that showed up in MWO wouldn't be an urbanmech, It'd just be another hunchback with an R2D2 body.

Edited by Wraeththix Constantine, 10 July 2012 - 01:06 PM.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users