The Urbanmech. Why and why not?

396 replies to this topic

#381 kitazari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

If it's of any consolation, I can imagine mass-producing these guys for scenarios when cbills, limited mech repairs, or maximum battle-value drops are in play.

Slow, and heavily armored urban-combat mechs? Combine these with hunchbacks and you've got a great set of mechs for city-defense.

#382 Utilyan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

I just played MW4.

IS-URBANMECH.

Full armor. Jump Jets. ECM. (in the game they come standard with ECM) 4 medium lasers, 4 machineguns (each weighs 1.5 tons). 1 extra heat sink.

360 torso twist, for folks who don't know that means he can keep turning in same direction like a tank all the way around.

So if he's caught in a circle fight he can always have a shot on the enemy. On pilot's skill it WILL be a lick for lick fight vs any light.

77kph.
.25 tons spare

I was beating up Timberwolves and Atlas. If this mech got converted to MWO i'd have to dump their mgs for ours so would end up with 5mgs with 3 tons of ammo instead of 4 arrays(12 machineguns).

Imagine this tiny mech, 77kph, 4 mediums and ECM! He'll almost certainly buddy up bigger assault who needs ecm support. The 5 Machineguns will be cherry on top just shutting weapons off quicker. ;)

#383 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

You can't give the UrbanMech ECM.

That's like giving Thor a War Hammer that shoots War Hammers that shoot lighting bolts that shoot War Hammers.

#384 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 27 March 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

You can't give the UrbanMech ECM.

That's like giving Thor a War Hammer that shoots War Hammers that shoot lighting bolts that shoot War Hammers.

But why do the War Hammers not explode? Is that too much awesome?

#385 nitra

• Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

Why ?

two words.

fun and flavor.

two things games are starting to lack these days.

who cares if it worthless

someone wants try and pull off a win in a urbie or core an atlas with the urbie .. why ??

because it fun .. and b. it provides flavor.

#386 Jack Corban

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 560 posts
  • LocationPort Arthur

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

View PostAdm Awesome, on 08 July 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

with what? an AC/20 and a small laser? hell the AC20 version even has very limited ammo, so you better hit your target with every shot, ok so you take down an Atlas, you're a team contributor, now you ran out of ammo and only have a small laser, have fun being the team trashcan. The UM-R60L even has less armor, so you'll be lucky if you can shoot your AC/20 enough times to kill an Atlas before it lets all of it's guns on you. it's two PPC's, gauss, and rockets will probably destroy an urban with one cycle of attacks. You go with the AC/10 instead and then you probably would die to a light class that know what they're doing.

As Sarna says: "With these two weapons the UrbanMech can constantly harass, or if piloted by an experienced enough MechWarrior, down 'Mechs up to twice its own size." up to twice it's size, what would that be? A Flea or Commando? You better be good at stealth because I don't know how you're gonna catch either of them in the first place.

well thats where this game went wrong and made many many mechs obsolete. We all have double armor. In Vanilla TT an AC/20 to the right spot and you puke Mechparts. for instance Cockpits 3 Structure 9 Armor that makes a total of 12 points. 8 less then the AC/20 does. This is why the Hunchback 4G is looked down apon too. It is a kick *** mech degraded to a laughable piece of **** thanks to this. But hey YEAY PGI BEST GAME EVER TROLOLOLOLOLOL etc.

#387 Smk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

View Postnitra, on 27 March 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

Why ?

two words.

fun and flavor.

two things games are starting to lack these days.

who cares if it worthless

someone wants try and pull off a win in a urbie or core an atlas with the urbie .. why ??

because it fun .. and b. it provides flavor.

Why not? Because there are a dozen other mechs I'd rather have in the game before this piece of crap. It had its place on the TT but it wont work in MWO. It has to directly compare against other mechs instead of just their price. I don't care if it eventually gets in but not at the cost another mech that would be fun to pilot instead of just to troll.

Edited by Smk, 27 March 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#388 Utilyan

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

Its part of lore being a common mech.

Historic/simulation-wise we need it. Its like if your doing a WWII Pacific piloting a wildcat fighter plane would be considered horrible to a noob pilot. You'd be dead meat vs zeros. Wildcat is great when used right.

Urbanmech is awsome when used right.

Its vertical, 360 twist, thick armored, small profile.

It has lots of clear use, not seeing its use is part of being a noob.

Urbanmech is just out of certain folks skill range. ;)

#389 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

View PostUtilyan, on 27 March 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

Its part of lore being a common mech.

Historic/simulation-wise we need it. Its like if your doing a WWII Pacific piloting a wildcat fighter plane would be considered horrible to a noob pilot. You'd be dead meat vs zeros. Wildcat is great when used right.

Urbanmech is awsome when used right.

Its vertical, 360 twist, thick armored, small profile.

It has lots of clear use, not seeing its use is part of being a noob.

Urbanmech is just out of certain folks skill range. ;)

And all of the things that made the Urbie half-way viable in TT will never translate properly to MWO.

At best they'll release him next year on April Fools.

#390 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:08 AM

Clearly an Urbie ;) would be to OP for this Game.

#391 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:45 AM

I'm going to repost this once again:
It (the Urbanmech) is a turret for urban combat scenarios. Your wasps and stingers' speed is completely useless if they're going to be falling everywhere on Ferro-crete (if you haven't experienced this, you haven't played the tabletop).

The Urbmanmech is designed to be a cheap downgrade of the hunchback. It sits behind a building and just waits for a mech to unknowingly walk into it. Check rules regarding hidden units; what happens is not pretty. I'm talking "rolling-a-4-to-hit-your-116-km/h-flying-stinger-with-an-AC/20" kind of not pretty.

Mech-on-mech open field combat, yes, the Urbie is pretty much useless apart from being bait, but it still has its place just like every other mech.

And there are plenty of other mechs that I want to see too; i.e. Grasshopper, Phoenix Hawk, Banshee, Cyclops, Whitworth, Panther, Zeus, Hussar, Hermes, Dervish, Enforcer, Kintaro, Wyvern (all of which are 3025-era).The list goes on and on and on. However, I also know that the devs are going to opt for the iconic mechs that people are more familiar with, and with the exclusion of clans and mechs that are post-3049, the selection of mechs that people are going to recognize and want to pilot gets slimmer and slimmer.

Closing statement: Even if the Urbanmech is quirky and somewhat useless for the majority of battles, it has a huge fan base behind it and that alone is something that could push the devs to include it, especially now as some manner of Hero Mech for the core fanbase who really wants to see it put in. I'll be honest, I'd buy one.

#392 Serevn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 472 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:25 AM

I hope they put it in... and slap a massive MC only cost on it and rip off all you Urbie obsessed maniacs.

Edited by Serevn, 28 March 2013 - 04:44 AM.

#393 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

View PostCaptain Fabulous, on 28 March 2013 - 03:45 AM, said:

Mech-on-mech open field combat, yes, the Urbie is pretty much useless apart from being bait, but it still has its place just like every other mech.

In Mech-on-Mech open field combat every light or medium mech that is slower as 70kph ->
Thorn
Hornet
Panther
Withworth
BlackJack
Hatchetman
Vindicator

is condemed to fail as long their specific "rolls" could not be included because of lacking "reallistic" game modes or campaigns.

#394 Cairbre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 163 posts
  • LocationHoly Terra

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:33 AM

View PostSerevn, on 28 March 2013 - 04:25 AM, said:

I hope they put it in... and slap a massive MC only cost on it and rip off all you Urbie obsessed manics.

Me too! Keep the glorious Urbie out of the hands of the plebes. In this case though, it should have solid gold painting- and I mean shining, Calculon level gold plating.

#395 Terror Teddy

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

We have support mechs and assault mechs and scout mechs and ECM mechs.

Why not URBAN mechs.

ANY city map where mobility is an issue can be a GREAT map for the urbanmech as long as they are not in the open (like Alpine).

With 360 degree torso twist, a heavy ballistic weapon it can take out light mechs that cannot USE it's speed advantage.

We need maps that are simply URBAN - a complete concrete jungle where we cannot see over any buildings with narrow streets where other mechs have problems the Urban will shine.

#396 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

At the very least all the Urban mechs will buy the hero Urbie. Making it worth PGIs while putting it in game.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users