(Is) Ppc Vs Er Ppc

25 replies to this topic

#21 JonahGrimm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:22 AM

Let's add the thing no one remembers:

If you're using PPCs well at range, regardless of type, you'll fire and keep moving, looking away from your target for the recharge, usually scooting back into cover. It's perfectly possible to pelt passing targets with precision (HA ALLITERATION) and then be gone before they can really see where the giant lightning bolt came from.

Less face time, used well, is a tremendous advantage.

Personally, I like /single/ ERPPCs, and, in the event I"m going to boat more than one? I like standards - more weight of fire over time without blowing out your heatsinks. My best mech, though, carries a single ERPPC and a bunch of missiles... and that' s usually more than enough to be effective at any range.

#22 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,924 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:40 AM

In case the OP is still looking...

Not sure if it has been mentioned but for a Black Knight build, if you want to run PPCs, run 2 and then fill out the other 6 or 7 hardpoints with small pulse lasers. Use the PPCs at range and you still have an equivalent (actually a bit better) "beta" strike with the SPL at close range. Heat is fine if you have the discipline to not combine both weapon systems (except in an emergency). You can still run a standard engine and maintain decent mobility too.

Still though if you want ER-PPCs, I agree with those who have said only run multiples if you are quirked for them or just run a single for your long range snip/cover fire.

Overall though, PPCs and ERPPCs are harder to learn and use than lasers. So many mechs have different velocity quirks that learning to properly lead your target at moderate to long range (essential skill with PPCs) is a challenge. Also despite the graphic representation of the PPC as a big ball, the PPC is as much of a pinpoint as a laser for hit detection. I see a lot of shots go right through their intended target (between legs, under arms, etc.). Just something to be aware of.

#23 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:45 PM

I am still looking ;)

... and I did not know that the PPC also has pinpoint damage. I would not have guessed considering the huge effect when it hits (which is a reason I like the weapon).

#24 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:51 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 16 October 2015 - 03:56 AM, said:

Good advice here, thanks.

I personally hope the PPC will regain its place as premium long range energy weapon. Perhaps when the lasers get a reduced range, the PPC will shine.

Canonically, unlike lasers and autocannons, PPCs are most feared because of their front-loaded nature despite their low firing frequency and heat issues. Tabletop, this has relatively low meaning as all weapons are front-loaded (instead of 3 shots from an ML to do 5 damage, or an AC/20 that requires 10 hits to do 20 damage; looking at you Crusher Super Heavy Cannon). In MWO this has has minuscule meaning as ACs will simply do it better.

That said, PPCs unlike ACs are not affected by gravity, allowing more reliable range out of them. Their round speed however is sluggish -- this is likely to change with upcoming balancing fixes as weapon and heat quirks themselves are very likely to be tossed out the window to help remove the stagnate meta they created.

A standard PPC is colder (1 ER PPC = heat of 1.5 PPCs), slightly slower, and pretty useful in a pair. ER PPCs are better off in singles due to their heat issues.

In Battletech, the minimum "accuracy" range has no limitations on damage and is simply a "Likelihood to hit the target" decreases dramatically. In older versions of BT as written in 1987 when PPCs were more often than not arm-mounted and usually depicted as hand-held weapons in the art: "The weight of the weapon makes it difficult to track faster targets at close range." There wasn't exactly a rule defining what counted as a 'faster target'. Between this and other changes, the newer and more modern definition describes the PPC as a weapon that needs time to build up energy safely before firing, effectively requiring the pilot to "charge" the weapon. The new mechanic is that there is a "Field Inhibitor" installed to prevent feedback from the weapon doing damage to the mech. Disabling this effectively removes the 'charge' time, which effectively removes the accuracy penalty at 90 meters or less....at the risk of the weapon blowing up in your face. (ER PPCs do not have the issue or require field inhibitors, however they emit a larger amount of heat as a result of the modifications that distinguish them from standard PPCs).

In MWO a magical "no damage" range is done instead -- and Gauss Rifles were given the charging mechanic. To put one on the PPC would entice players to blend the two weapon systems..recreating an old meta crisis.

Some players are known for splicing ER PPC and PPC together. Especially if both can be equipped on the same section of the body. The results are quite interesting.

The upcoming laser lock system will certainly increase PPC popularity, especially when targets are not marked by some means or another.

Edited by Koniving, 19 October 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#25 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 October 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

The upcoming laser lock system will certainly increase PPC popularity, especially when targets are not marked by some means or another.

I actually read that as "PPC poptartularity" before doing a double take. :lol:

#26 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:20 PM

View PostTorezu, on 19 October 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

I actually read that as "PPC poptartularity" before doing a double take. :lol:

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users