Chosing A Bundle

14 replies to this topic

#1 recsa

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:11 AM

Hi,

Ive been having a great time playing MWO, im really enjoying it, so i have decided to spend some money on it and those Kill Deals have really get me. Said and done, i have just bought 25K MC, now i would appreciate some advice to spend them wisely :D

The goal is to get a bundle fro the 30 days premium and the hero mech so i can speed up a bit the CBs income, a good money maker Hero mech is priority. What bundle should i pick?

Next (asuming i have spend 6-10k) on the bundle i will have around 15K MC to buy something else (or save it for something cool coming soon). What do you think i should go for? King Crab, Dire Wolf and Ebon Jaguar are 3 mechs (in no particular order) i really want to try, should i get 1 or 2 of those? or 2 of the same chasis to speed up the mastery? or just save the MC for something coming to the shop? (i dont know if Marauder will be abailable any time soon)

Comments pls, and THX

EDIT: Its Done :P Stalker was it, but feel free to convince me to not "waste?" MCs on a Dire Wolf XDDDDDD

Edited by recsa, 15 October 2015 - 08:30 AM.

#2 DemonicDonut

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:29 AM

Depends what you like to be honest. I wouldn't personally buy individual chassis with MCs. Especially those available for cbills. Use them on bundles, hero, extra mech bays and even paint/camo. Just an FYI, if you use a 'one shot' camo you can change colors and keep the camo pattern.

It really depends what you like to play.

You seem to like assaults so I'd probably recommend the stalker bundle. Great mech, the misery is a good hero. That's personal preference.

Hunchback is good and the grid iron can do gauss, ac10 or AC20 builds.

I'm also a big fan of Jagers.

With the impending quirk pass I wouldn't put too much of your decision into quirks.

Edited by DemonicDonut, 15 October 2015 - 07:30 AM.

#3 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:34 AM

All the best IS mechs in the game currently are best because of their quirks. Mech quirks is a system that is currently going through a complete overhaul, and the test server version has no weapon quirks at all. Which means that the currently recommendable IS mechs may be garbage soon.

If I had to choose, I'd pick the Raven bundle. It's quite cheap, and you get very different play styles out of it. Huggin is an excellent in-your-face-DPS machine with it's over the top quirked SRM4s (but without weapon quirks it was one of the most useless mechs in the game), 3L is the age old goto light-ECM-sniper, and the 4X trades the ECM for even longer range sniping and JJs. Light mechs can however be hard to get into for new players, if you don't feel like playing lights, just disregard this.

Clan mechs are a bit easier to recommend, since they currently rely much less on quirks for being competitive. It's pretty safe to say that Timber Wolf and Stormcrow will remain strong despite anything that happens in the ongoing rebalancing. Whatever you do, you should aim to get 3 variants of a chassis leveled up as fast as possible to have a mastered mech for grinding c-bills. Always buy 3 variants before buying other chassis, or you'll just have a ton of mechs that don't work as well as other players' mechs do in the games you play.

I'd personally only buy premium time and mech bays (edit: if you're running out of mech bays that is) for now. Once you get a good mech leveled up, with premium time, you should gather up C-Bills for the next mechs quite fast.

Edited by Kyynele, 15 October 2015 - 07:35 AM.

#4 recsa

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:47 AM

View PostDemonicDonut, on 15 October 2015 - 07:29 AM, said:

You seem to like assaults so I'd probably recommend the stalker bundle. Great mech, the misery is a good hero. That's personal preference.

Hunchback is good and the grid iron can do gauss, ac10 or AC20 builds.

Hunchback is great but already got it mastered so i dont feel like buying a bundle just for the Hero, the Stalker ... its one of my TOP choices for the bundle and will probably be the choosen one unless convinced on anything else, i would like a heavier one but choices doesnt seem so awesome (Atlas, Banshee, ....) they seem meh ..

View PostKyynele, on 15 October 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

All the best IS mechs in the game currently are best because of their quirks. Mech quirks is a system that is currently going through a complete overhaul, and the test server version has no weapon quirks at all. Which means that the currently recommendable IS mechs may be garbage soon.

I'd personally only buy premium time and mech bays (edit: if you're running out of mech bays that is) for now. Once you get a good mech leveled up, with premium time, you should gather up C-Bills for the next mechs quite fast.

I dont get it, imho Quirks are the only thing atm that prevents Clan mechs to be totally OP compared to IS, even then "things" like Ebon Jaguar or Dire Wolf looks like ******* awesome compared to IS mechs, but it might be just my lack of experience.

Sadly theres no Clan Bundles, so i have to pick a IS one.

Regarding the camo and such ... i really need to buy a bundle XDDD nah its just that i want the premium and Hero, and Bundles are way cheaper than buying those separately.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:50 AM

View Postrecsa, on 15 October 2015 - 07:11 AM, said:

EDIT: Its Done :P Stalker was it, but feel free to convince me to not "waste?" MCs on a Dire Wolf XDDDDDD

Stalkers are awesome. Dire Wolves can be.

That said: Any use of MC to acquire mechs is a little bit of a waste if you ask me. Unless there's an MC sale on the mechs.
You do get a 50% discount on everything in a bundle...but it kinda requires getting everything in it as opposed to simply buying the stalker hero.

I prefer cbills to buy the actual mechs. Heroes and paints/camos.... that's where my MC goes.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:55 AM

View Postrecsa, on 15 October 2015 - 07:47 AM, said:

I dont get it, imho Quirks are the only thing atm that prevents Clan mechs to be totally OP compared to IS, even then "things" like Ebon Jaguar or Dire Wolf looks like ******* awesome compared to IS mechs, but it might be just my lack of experience.

It goes a bit beyond that. IS mechs are blatantly overpowered because of quirks...though the quirks usually put them on par with Clans on range...it usually gives them firing rates and 'cold' mechs that would rip Clan mechs into shreds if given a few seconds to do so and more importantly, allowed to get close enough. IS mechs also have the only instant kill weapon combination that works against ALL mechs.

This kinda is the antithesis of what players are supposed to be doing. The IS mechs are being stupidly brave while the Clan mechs are being cowards at long range.

Clans are supposed to be stupidly brave glory seeking Klingon-knockoffs rushing into battle and taking the prize, while the IS coordinate strategically and take out Clanners with dishonorable tricks and games of hide and seek. Thus, everything is backwards.

That said... Quirks also have made the "Meta game" stale, and significantly reduced time to kill to very unfun levels.

Upcoming changes will be making it a very different and more balanced game for both sides.
I reference this post explaining two very significant changes being tested. Clans are still superior at ranged damage, but IS can do minuscule amounts of damage outside of what Clans can do at all when it comes to laser weapons.

Edited by Koniving, 15 October 2015 - 09:00 AM.

#7 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:08 AM

IMO: Only buy bundles and heroes with MC, never anything else.

You should have invested some money in a à la carte mech or parts of Wave 1, Wave 3. Origins IIC also might be a pretty good investement but to be sure.. we need to wait on it. The resistance bundles have some fun mechs... but probably are not good mechs to start with.

I'd suggest for as it is now, level your stalkers and save up the money for 2 more mechs and get another hero+2mechbays OR get another bundle. Stalker is a pretty good choice, tho. The hero is fantastic and Stalkers always performed pretty good.

Edited by k05h3lk1n, 15 October 2015 - 09:11 AM.

#8 recsa

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:17 AM

View PostKoniving, on 15 October 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

only instant kill weapon combination that works against ALL mechs.

Thx, reading that post with the changes now, but just curious B) whats that instant kill weapon combo? XDDDDD

#9 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,924 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:38 AM

Whatever bundle you choose, plan ahead in re the actual load outs. What I am getting at is the actual cost of the mechs in C-bills vs their initial cost in MC. For some mechs, they may come with a variety of features that are either less than optimum or simply need to be replaced because you want something else.

Examples: lots of mechs come with Ferro but not Endo. Removing the one and adding the other is going to cost you. You want an XL engine? A big one costs more than many mechs. You want to add artemis to your missile launchers? That will cost you for the artemis and then the new missle launchers as well. I think I spent more near 10 Mil in c-bills re-configuring a stalker 3F into a 4 LPL build so I could take better advantage of the torso twist. If I would have planned ahead I probably would have saved a lot!

The point is to take a look at the various bundles and consider the additional costs. If you don't have the c-bills to make the mechs you want, then hold onto your MC until you do. While you wait you might even get lucky and get a sale at some point on the chassis you like.

#10 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:41 AM

View Postrecsa, on 15 October 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

Thx, reading that post with the changes now, but just curious B) whats that instant kill weapon combo? XDDDDD

Preeetty sure you can OHKO with a clan 'Mech

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...73e50c67d3f0d97

#11 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:30 PM

Stalker is a solid choice.

Save Dires for later when you get a good grasp on positioning. Dires live and die by positioning. Warhawks/Executioners are a nice alternative. If you stay IS, get a Banshee/Battlemaster. Wubshee is best banshee.

#12 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:41 PM

View Postrecsa, on 15 October 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

just curious B) whats that instant kill weapon combo?
Dual IS Ac20's, to the cockpit.

~Leone

#13 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:46 AM

View PostLeone, on 15 October 2015 - 09:41 PM, said:

Dual IS Ac20's, to the cockpit.

If you can hit someone in the cockpit with dual AC/20s, you deserve the kill. I have been taken out that way (and it was dual gauss, so it must have been a critical) once in the ~1500 games I've played. And I was in a Banshee, crawling my way over the crap all over the floor of the forest in the new Forest Colony.

They have very limited range (so you have to get close), the projectile speed is much slower than gauss, you have to be facing your target, and you have to be in a mech that can mount dual AC/20s. You're moving pretty slow (Jagers, Maulers, KGCs, and even the joke-build Cicada), and did I mention you have to get close and have legendary aiming skills? Anything faster than an Atlas is going to be really hard to hit in the cockpit.

#14 Ionna Silver

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:24 AM

Atlas meh? XD

#15 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:59 AM

If you want to stay inner sphere, for my money, i think the Shadow hawk bundle is one of the best deals. between getting medium mechs, (which are pretty great for new players) and two very nice XL engines, it is a great value. They also are extremely flexible, and can run just about any weapon in the game, and tons of load outs. They also have jump jets, and can run XL engines for more speed, or more weapons. Just a really nice all around starter mech.

the mechs are pretty solid, so you gotta figure even with out quirks, they are still nice mechs.

On the other hand you did buy an MC package so that means you got a cicada, and the cicada bundle is also pretty nice, especially if you like the cicada you got. (so play it a bunch before you buy the bundle. They are also mediums, but play more like lights with a bit more firepower/armor.

As for heroes, Misery, and Ilya are both great, and i love my jester, though it is a pretty nice mech, it is not a top tier.. But still one of my better mechs, and one of my most played. the raven huggin, firestarter ember and Blackjack arrow are also pretty nice too,

I also like to spend MC on day passes. they cost 250MC for 24 hours. For the cost of a month, i can buy 10 days. Often buying the day passes is much better for me, as i can go weeks without playing, but then wanna play all day, or have a weekend and pick up a couple day passes, or weekend pass and grind away. though if a sale hits, some times you can get the year long package for a nice price but they are kinda rare, but holiday season is when that happens typically.

Buy mech bays, and some paint.. for camo, buy the one shots for the mech you want to camo.. they are pretty cheap. If you buy the permanent unlock, it is only for that chassis type, so if you want woodland on many mechs, that ends up costing a bunch.. But buying one shots on 10 mechs, would cost the same as just one chassis unlock. Basically, if you like different styles on different mechs, and don't want to change the camo often, single shot unlocks are the way to go.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users