Xl Inner Sphere Engines

43 replies to this topic

Poll: XL Inner Sphere Engines (88 member(s) have cast votes)

Should they work after losing a side torso

1. Yes (33 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. No (55 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

STD engines are useless compared to CXL engines. Deal with it.

The only time any clan mech would use a STD engine is if its forced to like in the case of the Kingfisher.

#42 Astarot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, Troy, hiding from the Romans

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:50 AM

View PostKhobai, on 24 January 2016 - 10:42 AM, said:

STD engines are useless compared to CXL engines. Deal with it.

The only time any clan mech would use a STD engine is if its forced to like in the case of the Kingfisher.

In your opinion correct? Because I use STD engines in all my brawler builds, and I win most fights when fighting clanners. My friend, your words clash with my experience, and I'm going to take my experience over your word. Then there is of course the fact that I don't suffer a heat and speed penility when I lose one of my side torsos when using a STD engine, ontop of that all my XL engine mechs tend to be long range, medium range engagers, So taking advantage of the extra weight I increase my top speed.

No I get it though, the fact that more choices means more niched roles, you can't make universal roles all that well in mechwarrior. No I understand, it must be frustrating to get put onto a team when everyone are brawler based and you have no long range or medium range engagers so you and your team get destroyed before they can even close the gap.

Also this is my Build, as you can see, it fits a standard engine, if you look at my stats, it also one of my top performing and most used builds.

HBK-4G Brawler AC/20 STD

Edited by Astarot, 24 January 2016 - 12:03 PM.

#43 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:33 PM

- So... I posted many comments about that and even start a topic about possible balance between Clan vs IS after restriction of conflict only with opposite side and not with same Clan or IS Houses. In them I wrote why IS XL mechanic need to change.
Comment 1 (old days)
Comment 2 (about choice)
Comment 3 (bit of balance)
Comment 4 (weak points)

How should IS XL engines changed:
Side Torso loss of IS XL must do speed and heat penalty greater than Clan for 10-15% (-30% speed - 25% heat) instead of Death Penalty as we have now. If both ST destroyed - mech die as Clan do.

- What positive we get from changing IS XL mechanic:
1. New players will play for IS side as many as for Clan. They buy IS mech - champion and hero, will achieve XL engines by spending c-bills, and make builds based on tactic, not for survivability.
2. Many mech become useful and playable. That also good, because players will buy MechBay and spend money for that.
3. Players stay longer in game and possibly drag into friends to play in team (we remember - Faction Play - team play).
4. Learning how pilot fast mech with low weapon better if that mech not die every few second from lucky shots (sometimes from your teammate). Also that cure problems of team-kill by mistake.
5. TTK become longer, without armor, weapon, heat quirks. That make easier to balance sides without so unpopular restriction like drop weigh tonnage for Clan.
6. In event many players will play both sides, not side where you have victory because "too easy kill mech with focused shot in one of two torsos"
7. Without IS vs IS conflict now no use preserve old mechanic from days when IS mech "pretend to be pseudo clan"

- How that change affect Clan mech and STD engines.
1. Clan mech will get a bit sturdy targets but in same time preserve all their bonuses as - longer range, more powerful weapon, and all other things like TCom.
2. Many mech builds of IS based only on STD (so no chance that they become useless. Even some Clan mech with possibility to change engine uses STD only because of no speed penalty after ripping side torso off or because free room for more weapon, ammo or DHS. Like HBK IIC, Highlander IIC, Orion IIC and so on). I already see light based on STD because thay want survive in battle with Clan.
3. Many IS mech who use only XL (mostly medium and light) become more user friendly. So - new players got chance to use it as scout, interceptor and in other scenario more often. And that also good. Because you can buy light with XL and get really bad experience from it and change to Clan...
4. In case Clan vs IS only change old rusty mechanic can bring more freedome to FP and player choose sides of conflict only because of wiil play for Houses of on Clan side, not because they forced to go clan for survivability.
5. QP will be not affected at all in any tier till 2nd.

- Why someone don't want changes.
1. Players who think that they loose "elite" status. They study for years how to survive on IS XL in war against Clans and don't want loose that. And in same time they want have "easy targets" when switching to clan side.Sorry, but game need new players and that mechanic not friendly anymore.
2. Players who think that IS mech become OP. No. After change some of them don't need any quirks anymore and some still have same low firepower as before. Because IS mech have 3hardpoint DHS, less room for weapon and ammo and many other restrictions by tonnage.
3. Players who want see lore only content. Well... guys, we have mechanic to restrict mech to stock settings in Private Lobby. In future PGI can make event specially for you based on historical true battles or settings with stock\lore only based mech. Why no? But for all that game need new players who spend money and don't have glass mech. New players need to know all small details, but having mech which blows away from sneeze - teach them only few things: take clan mech next time, run STD only slow mech, or go away after few try. You want new opponents? You want new players for both sides? Than say yes for IS XL change.

- Once again... I even agree with 40% loss of speed instead of Death Penalty, because it's better than dead mech. You still get chance to be covered by teammates and shoot back from other weapon. Even if in other torso you have ECM only or Tag - you still can provide help. But for that you need survive after loosing ST.

Edited by Tiantara, 28 December 2016 - 06:01 PM.

#44 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 613 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:20 PM

Ah, IS OmniMechs related issue.

Leave XL's as it is now. Just for Omnis PGI should give "repurposed Clan Engine" and give LE's property quirk (side torso destruction) for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users