1440P Killed My Mwo Experience

17 replies to this topic

#1 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:32 AM

I recently purchased a 1440p IPS monitor for my work and gaming experience.

I was surprised how well my System (i7 4770K @ 4,0Ghz, GTX 780, 32GB DDR3 Ram, SSD storage) handles it!
Games like WarThunder, DayZ or even Star Citizen look astonishing and have much less of a performance drop than what I expected.
I can play these games without even turning down the graphical fidelity, with DayZ being the only game where I had to turn down the shadow settings in order to keep a steady 60fps in the woods and 30ish in cities. Keep in mind that that these games are either in pre-Alpha, early Alpha or Beta stage.

Now, for the released game MWO it is a completely different story.
I can easily get 60-80fps with my system and MWO in Full-HD with Maxed settings. The only exception is MWOs magic heat steam, which seems to hate my PC and drops my game down to slideshow of 2-8 fps.
I don't use Damage Glow because I simply don't like it and I use V-Sync and MSAA.

When I switched to 1440p I noticed that my frames got straight up cut in half and even worse.
On normal 12v12 matches without any action, I get 40ish fps, in action its around 25-30 and Community Warfare is a total disaster.
I may be nit-picking and pretty spoiled by fast FPS games running with 200+ fps but 30 is already very annoying for me and anything below that becomes unplayable for me.

Addded to the very low FPS, the game seems to stutter and lag behind my mouse input. I have no idea why that occurs but it only does if I enable 1440p. It feels highly unresponsive and makes gaming very unpleasant.

I tried pretty much everything, switching to the 64bit game, modifying the user.cfg, turning down the ingame settings all the way to medium/potato settings, installing MWO on a RAM Disk and tinkering around with the Nvidia Inspector.
I ultimately chose to play in Full HD again, which looks kind of stupid on a monitor which is capable of so much more, but at least it works.

Now I know that some of you are in fact playing in >1080p. Did you face the same problems I face? If yes, what was your fix? Do I just have to throw a ton of money on a second/even better GPU?

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:09 AM

msaa gets you a massive performance hit in this game. Maybe you could live with fxaa now that you have a higher resolution.

#3 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:15 AM

I have the same problem with the smoke from overheating. The game isn't completely optimized really. I've been told that the standard max settings give better FPS, and actually when I turned down my settings to deal with the "heat steam" it cut my overall FPS to about 30 which, while stable because of no more smoke, is pretty bad overall.

#4 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:57 AM

Smoke and stuff dropping performance sounds like the Particle Setting, try turning it down to low-medium.
as for GPU, I have a Radeon HD 6970 (Basically older version of the 7850 & R7 265) and MWO With MSAA Maxes out GPU & VRam Useage @ 1080P, I'm not sure how the GTX 780 (non Ti) would do in comparison but considering 1440P Hurts but 1080P is OK with MSAA, sounds like a GPU Bottleneck, I'd say Upgrade the GPU if you want 1440P in MWO, Either SLI May help or just upgrading to a more powerful single card., looking @ Tomshardware GPU Hierarchy where they recommend going minimum of 3 steps above current card to make a upgrade worth it, that would leave you with getting the best of the best currently, the GTX Titan Z or the Radeon R9 295X2, in that case, SLI would likely be Cheaper than getting a More Powerful Single Card, assuming your PSU can handle it.

Edited by Lord Letto, 20 January 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#5 CMetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 289 posts
  • LocationCortlandt Manor, NY

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

A member of my unit plays at 1440, and he has said on a number of occasions that with that resolution he doesn't see a need for any AA. If you turn off all AA the game should look fine, and you won't be taking that performance hit. Sub-optimal particle processing doesn't help much either. I'd turn off AA first, and then lower particles if that doesn't do it for you.

Edit: Avg framerates for my unit member are 70-80 at 1440.

Edited by CMetz, 20 January 2015 - 09:08 AM.

#6 MaxFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:10 AM

I play with no AA at all. At 2560x1600 honestly my eye sight is not that great that I could even tell a difference between AA and no AA. No point in using something that hogs resources and you don't notice any difference in picture quality.

I probably also have particles at low quality, not 100% sure.

Edited by MaxFool, 20 January 2015 - 09:13 AM.

#7 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:07 AM

View PostIqfish, on 20 January 2015 - 06:32 AM, said:

I recently purchased a 1440p IPS monitor for my work and gaming experience.

I was surprised how well my System (i7 4770K @ 4,0Ghz, GTX 780, 32GB DDR3 Ram, SSD storage) handles it!
Games like WarThunder, DayZ or even Star Citizen look astonishing and have much less of a performance drop than what I expected.
I can play these games without even turning down the graphical fidelity, with DayZ being the only game where I had to turn down the shadow settings in order to keep a steady 60fps in the woods and 30ish in cities. Keep in mind that that these games are either in pre-Alpha, early Alpha or Beta stage.

Now, for the released game MWO it is a completely different story.
I can easily get 60-80fps with my system and MWO in Full-HD with Maxed settings. The only exception is MWOs magic heat steam, which seems to hate my PC and drops my game down to slideshow of 2-8 fps.
I don't use Damage Glow because I simply don't like it and I use V-Sync and MSAA.

When I switched to 1440p I noticed that my frames got straight up cut in half and even worse.
On normal 12v12 matches without any action, I get 40ish fps, in action its around 25-30 and Community Warfare is a total disaster.
I may be nit-picking and pretty spoiled by fast FPS games running with 200+ fps but 30 is already very annoying for me and anything below that becomes unplayable for me.

Addded to the very low FPS, the game seems to stutter and lag behind my mouse input. I have no idea why that occurs but it only does if I enable 1440p. It feels highly unresponsive and makes gaming very unpleasant.

I tried pretty much everything, switching to the 64bit game, modifying the user.cfg, turning down the ingame settings all the way to medium/potato settings, installing MWO on a RAM Disk and tinkering around with the Nvidia Inspector.
I ultimately chose to play in Full HD again, which looks kind of stupid on a monitor which is capable of so much more, but at least it works.

Now I know that some of you are in fact playing in >1080p. Did you face the same problems I face? If yes, what was your fix? Do I just have to throw a ton of money on a second/even better GPU?

1920x1200 here and I do get low dips in battles, mostly when looking at other players' mechs or in heavy battles (due to same reason, I would guess). When alone on a side of the map, when not looking at them, my frame rates are fine at 60 fps or so on GTX 970, even before the other players begin to die out like flies. Something about my computer having to calculate other players really kicks it down for me. In your case, it's probably MSAA or something that your card is not built for, what accounts for your frame rate dips. Smoke effects might not have been fully implemented, especially combined with MSAA, for 7xx series of GTXs.

Edited by Jesus DIED for me, 21 January 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#8 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:12 AM

View PostMaxFool, on 20 January 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

I play with no AA at all. At 2560x1600 honestly my eye sight is not that great that I could even tell a difference between AA and no AA. No point in using something that hogs resources and you don't notice any difference in picture quality.

I probably also have particles at low quality, not 100% sure.

Anything at or above 1920x1200, you don't need AA at all. The fine granularity of the resolution makes up for no AA. You really only need AA when running low resolutions or if you are a complete freak, I mean geek, who demands absolute perfection.

#9 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:12 AM

To clear things up: I have these issues both with MSAA turned on or off.

#10 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:13 AM

Iqfish,

1440p has 1.7x the number of pixels that 1080p.

In other words, your system has to work nearly 2x as hard to produce the same image... if you use MSAA that's compounded.. ie 2x2 = 4x... hence why you're hence experiencing such major differences.

As people have pointed out, since you're on a 1440p monitor, you have less of a need for MSAA and could run without it and still have an amazing image -- I know I did it for a long that.. and that will increase your fps.

Also, this game is CPU limited more than GPU limited, so any CPU speed increase will help you immensely.

I moved from a 30" 1440p system to a 15.6" 1080p system ... a huge difference.. the 30" screen makes seeing things so much easier.. so enjoy!!

Good luck bro.

PS: There are some settings you might have heard about in Nvidia as well - singel display, turn off triple buffering, etc etc that will help your display rates. Also, if your cpu is throttling, you can set to a fixed CPU rate using throttlestop or your bios.

Edited by MavRCK, 21 January 2015 - 10:15 AM.

#11 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

View PostIqfish, on 21 January 2015 - 10:12 AM, said:

To clear things up: I have these issues both with MSAA turned on or off.

Turn down particles to med or low--that's where the smoke thing is.

See the difference.

If it's ok then use that setting, with everything else maxed out.

And, really,... your real problem is 4 GHz.. it's just not enough.

Particles setting is what affects smoke density and that is calculated by CPU in MWO. Sure, your video card might not like the interaction with CPU for it too, but that's a different story. The main thing is your CPU. Try to overclock it to 4.5GHz if you can. It certainly is capable of it. Let's face it.. you have a "K" version of Intel CPU lol and it's not overclocked.. something is 'wrong' with this picture.

#12 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:34 AM

View PostJesus DIED for me, on 21 January 2015 - 10:12 AM, said:

Anything at or above 1920x1200, you don't need AA at all. The fine granularity of the resolution makes up for no AA. You really only need AA when running low resolutions or if you are a complete freak, I mean geek, who demands absolute perfection.

Thanks for your generalization, really appreciate it.

I spent more than 2200€ on my complete gaming rig and I think that gives me the right to demand that my games work the way I want them.
Other games who aren't even released manage to work with advanced AA technology and the high resolution, only MWO does not.
Since the Support and the responsible dev team seem to completely ignore me and my concerns, I'm asking you. And guess what, I am not looking for someone who calls other people "complete freaks" just because they care for the looks of their games.
If you call your game "Thinking mans shooter AAA mech game" you have to make sure it behaves like an AAA game should.

What you are forgetting is something called pixel density. 1440p on a 24" would look much better than 1080p on a 24" monitor, even without AA.

But I am using a 27" monitor. There are still more pixels per inch than on a 1080p 24", but not so much that AA would be obsolete.

Here are a few comparisons:
(click to enlarge)
Spoiler

As you can clearly see, the image is much worse without MSAA applied.
If the image moves, the jittering is even worse. You don't have to be a total freak to see that.

The normal AA method is not option for me, since CE3 screws the movement up.
Just enable PostAA and take a screenshot of a moving mech. It will look like this:

Posted Image

The edges turn completely blurry, which makes taking screenshots or videos which will be edited almost impossible.

Again: Turning down game options would be the last resort for me. The Frame drops in MWO obviously result from bad optimization of the game.
I already said that I tried that and that it worked. But that's not something I am even close to happy with.

Edited by Iqfish, 21 January 2015 - 10:40 AM.

#13 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

View PostIqfish, on 21 January 2015 - 10:34 AM, said:

Thanks for your generalization, really appreciate it.

I spent more than 2200€ on my complete gaming rig and I think that gives me the right to demand that my games work the way I want them.

The edges turn completely blurry, which makes taking screenshots or videos which will be edited almost impossible.

Again: Turning down game options would be the last resort for me. The Frame drops in MWO obviously result from bad optimization of the game.
I already said that I tried that and that it worked. But that's not something I am even close to happy with.

No offense meant. Just a pat down on your shoulder.

Anyway, do you have motion blur option turned "on"?

Do you think this might affect your perception of mechs being blurry in motion?

I have that option turned "off" all the time. I think it's a silly option.

#14 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:56 AM

View PostJesus DIED for me, on 21 January 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

No offense meant. Just a pat down on your shoulder.

Anyway, do you have motion blur option turned "on"?

Do you think this might affect your perception of mechs being blurry in motion?

I have that option turned "off" all the time. I think it's a silly option.

Na, motion blur makes me have a headache.

The Issue with PostAA was first discovered by Lordred and hasn't been fixed since. According to PGIs devs (who have responded to that!!) it's an error with the CryEngine itself.

I read a bit into the specifications of MSAA and TXAA (TXAA Is even worse, 30fps on empty training grounds... ugh) and I guess it's just too much to ask for.

I think I'll be using PostAA then... :/

#15 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:02 AM

View PostIqfish, on 21 January 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:

Na, motion blur makes me have a headache.

The Issue with PostAA was first discovered by Lordred and hasn't been fixed since. According to PGIs devs (who have responded to that!!) it's an error with the CryEngine itself.

I read a bit into the specifications of MSAA and TXAA (TXAA Is even worse, 30fps on empty training grounds... ugh) and I guess it's just too much to ask for.

I think I'll be using PostAA then... :/

Yeah, I was going to say.. hitting your head against the solid wall of dev indiference and/or inability to change things is not going to help you. Some things are just the way they are.. I learned that in MWO actually... learned to live with it as 'normal'. Planning on eventually building an Intel system myself in hopes of better Cryengine performance. You have an Intel system and you have problems.. so that give me hope.. right...I forgot.. all is well......

#16 Sergei Pavlov

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

I have a 144Hz 1440p IPS monitor, i7 4790K @4.8GHz, 16GB 2400Mhz RAM, PCIe 512GB SSD and 780Ti overclocked by 30%.

Settings on Very High, with an Ultra High user.cfg.

My FPS ranges from 120 to 150, with a FOV of 87 (a lower FOV increases FPS, obviously).

When particles start flying, FPS go down to 80-90.

Regardless of my FPS, something is really messed up in this game. I get dips for no apparent reason.

#17 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:26 PM

I upgraded from 1920x1200 HannsG 30" to a BenQ 32" 1440P monitor. I am loving it so far, and frame rates hardly ever dip below the 40's. I am still rocking out my ATI 7970 3 gb XFX card, but have been really checking out the emails I have been getting from the egg on the 980 ti that is on sale right now. I haven't had time to play MWO much lately.... to busy with life right now, and the game has kinda got stale for me. Most of my settings are at High-Very High, core parker is installed, and a mild overclock on my 7970. My I7 is at 4.8 ghz, and my new system seems to handle this game well even with the updated maps and my 32" BenQ 1440p monitor. I am not sure what your issue is and why you are taking such a big hit....?

#18 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:12 PM

for amd users, you can get extreme performane by turning off turbo mode in bios then setting cpu preference in config file to sPread the cpu usage. I use a 8350 8 core using 4 CPUs @4.1ghz (slight overclock), I run 1440p or 3240x1920 with great fps...locked at 60fps with monitors.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users