11 replies to this topic

#1 n00dle

Rookie

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:03 AM

Hey guys,

I am the proud owner of the Wave Three clan mechs and am learning to play with them. However my favorite mech for sure is the Raven-3L(C). Which is also what I get the highest success rate with.

Now I am currently only Tier 4. So I'm pretty **** compared to the rest I think. Even though I always get 250-320 match points per PUG match on my Raven. However whenever I try to to play something else. Like any of the Ebon Jaguars, or Executioner... I fail to see the value in playing a heavy mech. I feel like mobility is the key to success in this game. I take down Dire Wolves solo with my Raven. Whenever I step into a slower, more cumbersome Mech I feel like I die a lot faster, and I do way less damage.

Is it a playstyle issue, a rank issue, or am I just on the right track here? I honestly don't understand why anyone would want to main Heavy's or Assaults. Any tips on playing them will be welcome since I will have to eventually.

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:10 AM

View Postn00dle, on 19 October 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

Is it a playstyle issue

Sounds like this to me.

When in heavy and assault mechs positioning is key because you don't have the speed to get out of sticky situations. Try sticking with an assault mech and finding cover on different maps that you can use to peek and trade shots. Generally, the most important thing is to not get left behind by the team if they are doing circles on the map.

Also, you must master torso twisting to tank damage. While it's a crucial skill with all mechs, it is absolutely necessary on the bigger ones.

Edited by Roughneck45, 19 October 2015 - 09:11 AM.

#3 Ionna Silver

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:12 AM

I've actually found that in order to be successful on assaults, you really do need those basic Pilot Skills first, if not Elite ones to really use one properly, probably in part because of the lack of mobility. It may take time get your Assaults where they need to be, but playstyle is also in the mix there for sure.

#4 Maver0ick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 228 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:12 AM

Generally, each class is a different style of play and they all take some getting used to. Lights and mediums are better for hit and run whereas the slower heavies and assaults cannot run and require sticking with the team.

#5 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:15 AM

A bigger mech is usually the bigger target. I I'm facing a Raven and an Atlas, I'm shooting the Atlas. In a big slow moving mech, timing is key to success. If you get caught alone, you're dead. If you step around a blind corner in a bottleneck, you're dead.

So, know where the enemy force is before you turn the corner. Don't go around the corner alone. Unless you're in a 100 ton mech, stay with something bigger that will get most of the attention.

You are correct, in stating that speed = life, so I have to ask: Are your Heavy and Assault mechs through the "Elite" efficiency? Speed tweak does wonders for Heavy and Assault mechs.

So, you can't play the slow mech the same way you play the light mech. You mentioned soloing Dire Wolves in your Raven. What makes you able to do that? It's because the Dire Wolf is probably alone. If he had buddies to keep you off him, you wouldn't be able to solo him. Remember what works for you in a light mech and avoid those situations when you're in the Heavy or Assault.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:19 AM

View Postn00dle, on 19 October 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

Hey guys,

I am the proud owner of the Wave Three clan mechs and am learning to play with them. However my favorite mech for sure is the Raven-3L(C). Which is also what I get the highest success rate with.

Now I am currently only Tier 4. So I'm pretty **** compared to the rest I think. Even though I always get 250-320 match points per PUG match on my Raven. However whenever I try to to play something else. Like any of the Ebon Jaguars, or Executioner... I fail to see the value in playing a heavy mech. I feel like mobility is the key to success in this game. I take down Dire Wolves solo with my Raven. Whenever I step into a slower, more cumbersome Mech I feel like I die a lot faster, and I do way less damage.

Is it a playstyle issue, a rank issue, or am I just on the right track here? I honestly don't understand why anyone would want to main Heavy's or Assaults. Any tips on playing them will be welcome since I will have to eventually.

Clan mechs have very large front torso hitboxes.
Step 1: Follow the Clan mech "2 rear, all else front" rule for Clan chicken-walkers. <--Edit: This is referring to ARMOR ALLOCATION.
Compare:
Spoiler

Step 1-A: For the Executioner, remember to have a 3/4ths rule for armor allocation. 3/4th front armor, 1/4th rear armor.
Step 2: Mr. Fix-it is Mr. Handy: If the enemy is quicker than you, fix it and disable their mobility. If the enemy is stronger than you fry their weapons. If the enemy is dumb enough to 'snipe' either snag a leg or get that cockpit -- they'll back down.
Step 3: They call it Role Warfare for a reason: Know your role. Not every mech is a fast pull-shooter. Not every mech can solo against the galaxy. Some are just better are something than others. Many Clan mechs are designed in MWO with intentional weaknesses or exploits to be found. For example Dire Wolves can't turn for crap -- and the golden rule to take down a Dire Wolf is to never get in front of it. Gargoyles were notoriously horrible for fighting heavy and assault mechs due to its large size in lore, instead cater to its intended purpose -- light / medium mech chasing.

The Cauldron Born is a weapons platform, not a brawler and not a speedster. Take the Ebon Jaguar (the proper name) and treat it like such. It needs to be near something else to take the fire, keep the enemies in front of you, never give 'em your side if you can help it (unless standing behind another ally), and remember that things die faster when you shoot them -- a lot.

Edited by Koniving, 19 October 2015 - 09:52 AM.

#7 n00dle

Rookie

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:44 AM

Whoah ok,

Thanks a lot for the quick and helpful replies everyone. So after reading this I changed my playstyle up a bit and altered the armor on my Ebon Jaguar. Now I stick around with people and make sure I am not the target to die first. It already went a lot better. I do noth ave the experience yet to really get any skills going on any of my heavy/assault Mech's. But I'll definitely start working on it.

It was indeed just a flick of the switch in my playstyle then. Raven is great fun to scout, and snipe, and annoy the big guys from behind. But this time I actually had some fun with my Ebon Jaguar as well. Got a match score of 258 the first time, and 430 the second (Which is the first time I breached 400!)

So, yeah. I was wrong. Heavies aren't useless. I just need to know how to handle them and not get left behind, get caught off guard, or anything. So staying with a group... No matter how passive that group plays. I now also know what I need to work on for the future, so that's what I'll be doing.

Thanks again!

#8 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:44 AM

Good for you, I am still after 3 years trying to figure out how to effectively play Mechs slower than 70 KPH (so most assaults), in my case I know that is a playstyle issue

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 19 October 2015 - 10:45 AM.

#9 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:57 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 19 October 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

Good for you, I am still after 3 years trying to figure out how to effectively play Mechs slower than 70 KPH (so most assaults), in my case I know that is a playstyle issue

It's all about positioning. The pair of Banshees I run that "only" go 61 after Speed Tweak perform nearly as well for me as the one that does 75. I just have to play them differently (suppression fire with one, massive alphas with the other, heat control and positioning are crucial on both). With the 75 kph one, positioning is still important, but it's more responsive, so it's easier to recover from a bad position, but of course it has the vulnerability that comes with an XL and the (slightly) lower firepower from such a large, relatively heavy engine.

Edited by Torezu, 19 October 2015 - 12:00 PM.

#10 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:56 PM

You know, i don't play assaults much either.. the only ones i really have really played are stalkers, but i do pretty decent in them, especially the misery. But as of late i have been playing Victors, which despite popular opinion, i find them really fun mechs. (especially the ac-20+ SRM 9S, It kinda reminds me of a heavier cent AH, as it also has some lasers added.. The 9K with a gauss, i have many issues mainly the darn weapon fire delay so we won't go there...

But it is actually a pretty fast mech, at 75-80KPH, it moves right alone.. basically as fast as a typical thunder bolt build. To me it is the cicada of the assaults.. aka, An assault that plays like a heavy.. as the cicada plays like a light.

One day i will get around to playing my atlas's. (all just at full basics) Only had um since 2013... :) what can i say, i love mediums and lights too!

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:59 PM

My favorite mech went 27 kph, was 100 tons, and felt like a battleship.

...then came open beta. I miss my R&R Atlas.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:30 PM

I also wanted to side note:

Heavies can play non-group styles.
This uses a 'pair' to harass enemies.

Spent entirely on my own in an "easily killed Jagermech." Pfft, easily killed.

Some aspects of this are done solo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users