- - - - -

So A Guy In Game Told Me...

4 replies to this topic

#1 Ex Atlas Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:17 PM

That I couldn't use override to fight, b/c if I died while "over-riding" I could be banned for suicidng and non-participation.

Is this true?

#2 n00dle

Rookie

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:20 PM

I'm just a new player. But no. This is not true. You won't be banned for ingame mechanics. That guy was probably just salty because he was on a losing spree and didn't want his teammates to overheat. It happened to me a few times. I just feel silly, and learn from it. Not banned yet. ;) Nor will I ever if I can help it.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:25 PM

If you repeatedly suicide without participating, maybe. Generally, once in a while...no. It happens virtually every game that somebody overheats and cooks themself either on accident or out of desperation.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:25 PM

View PostThe Atlas Overlord, on 19 October 2015 - 02:17 PM, said:

That I couldn't use override to fight, b/c if I died while "over-riding" I could be banned for suicidng and non-participation.

Is this true?

Depends on how it is used. It is frowned on to use the "Override" mechanic to suicide and deprive the enemy of a kill. However, other than "enter match, commit suicide, start new match, commit suicide, start new match, commit suicide, start new match, commit suicide, profit from all the monehs," it is not something they would ban you for.

#5 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:29 PM

View PostThe Atlas Overlord, on 19 October 2015 - 02:17 PM, said:

Is this true?

No. In fact, if you couldn't use override to fight, it would be a meaningless function.

Non-participation/suiciding is when you voluntarily opt not to contribute to a match, and instead destroy your 'mech. The override can be used for this purpose (hit override, shoot rock until you explode), but if you are using it to fight with, you are by definition participating.

That said, fighting in override is generally a terrible idea. If you have to go over maximum heat and keep moving, go ahead, but try to get back under 100% of your heat capacity ASAP- often, overriding will result in you actually dying faster. It's meant for allowing you to overheat and still maneuver/escape while cooling off instead of having to shut down- using it to continuously fight will generally be worse for you, because of the rate of damage accumulation (which appears to increase when you fire weapons while already overheated, though I'm not sure about this. It's just how it feels to me), which is especially significant when it's stacked on top of incoming damage from enemies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users