26 replies to this topic

#21 4ries

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:32 AM

There is a disturbing vibe in this game... And that is Your mech is not up to my expectations so it is not a good build mech.
Why do you take this and that etc etc...

To each his own?

#22 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:43 AM

Ah, but Night Thastus made some good points, and gave reasons. I appreciated it. That allowed me to point out why some decisions were made (Which I prolly shoulda done earlier in my post.) Also it showed that we come from two completely different fields of thought about the game, which allowed us to have a healthy arguement, and actually got me to make certain design choices that actually helped me out with some of my CW builds. (Mostly the limited ammo idea, since in normal queue I design to clear the enemy team, but in CW I tend to not survive as long.)

I admit, the tone of the arguement coulda been better, but I can see, from an efficiency standpoint, why someone would want to play it safe with ammo and gear, and to be honest, for certain considerations, (i.e. speed, leg armour, heat efficiency,) the proposed alterations, to the Banshee at least, are sound.

My build, Night Thastus's.

Thing is, I've run outta ammo on my BNC-3E, in both quickplay and CW on those rare instances I'm playing for the IS. Not often, but enough. I tend to chase targets into the open to ensure kills, so ams to protect against lrms. And I BAP because at the time I built it, ECM reached out to 180 meters and was pretty darn powerful. I like knowing where to shoot.

But if you don't play like I do, the second mech could very well be better. Especially the leg armour. To that end, I do not mind any discussion of my builds. I didn't actually consider offering them as prime build examples in this thread. I was going for assault tactics, since they are so hard to learn for some, but put up the builds just so folk could get a better understanding of why my tactical decisions were made. Cuz let's face it, your build and tactics should compliment each other.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 08 June 2016 - 08:44 AM.

#23 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:38 AM

i played that banshee myself for a long time. triple ac 5's been king of it all for a time.
as Leone, i dont play banshee's that often since i find them too slow and fragile compared to many other assaults at this point of the game.

but the times i played it few months ago i had the same things happening as Leone. running out of ammo all time, having a consistent high damage per game. even 2 1100+ dmg games in row while i barely break 1000 normally (because im a aggressive player that often gets his mech shredded hard in the fight)

if you want you can try my VERY old loadout from before all the quirks:
2 ac2
1 lbx 10
4 med lasers

pure troll loadout indeed but it often worked Posted Image havent played that for ages after the quirkenings. propably doesnt even work anymore =(

Edited by Alienized, 08 June 2016 - 09:38 AM.

#24 4ries

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:19 AM

@Leone
Yes, I noticed that you took it a good way about his commenting on your mech(s). But still, I bet you are around much much longer then I am, so I really believe that you have found things that suit your style.
Good thing you are you because if it was me it would have rubbed me in the wrong way to be honest.

Anyway, your topic here is a good read and interesting at that. Keep it up!

#25 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

View Post4ries, on 08 June 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

There is a disturbing vibe in this game... And that is Your mech is not up to my expectations so it is not a good build mech.

To each his own?

Question:

Do you play for fun or role-playing?

Do you play to win.

If you play for fun or role-play, you shouldnt care about your build being efficient.

If you play to win, you need efficiency because MWO punishes bad builds. You have to balance offense, armor, speed, heat, ammo, weapon groupings, quirks, agility, and utility. That is on top of trying to coordinate firepower with 11 other randoms in a pug.

#26 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:22 AM

View Post4ries, on 08 June 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

To each his own?

"To each his own" always is true of course, at least in the free world!

I really don't care what others bring to the battlefield, personally i hate swiss knives and lasers so that what i'm avoiding on my builds... Anyway, i don't think the vibe you mention is particular to mech builds per se, i believe its been brought up as a poor argument to indicate that one is not for filling the expected role of the mech in question, the Assault LRM boat is a great example of this. IMO if one packs a bunch of LRM's on their assault, is not my business but i expect an assault at the front, leading the charge and assaulting the enemy, messing them and their organisation up, splitting the ocean for your fellow mech warriors to come across and bring the pain together. If that LRM Assault boat hangs in the back thats a lot of armor and firepower missing where it really is needed... I think people will voice that vibe you speak of when this happens, when people mind "their own" a little bit too much.

#27 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:56 AM

View PostLeone, on 19 October 2015 - 10:59 PM, said:

Lasers this mech does not carry.

Tactics this pilot extremely well explains! :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users