34 replies to this topic

#1 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:12 PM

One of the things that MWO is missing is a real salvage mechanic. I would like to propose a salvage mini game and a new currency to add to the game.

After you play a match, in addition to the current cbill and xp/gxp earnings, you get a “token”. You get one token for a loss, two for a win and they are banked in the front end just like cbills, mc, xp, and gxp.

While in the front end, you can spend your tokens for grab bag items, one token per chance. Rewards from these grab bag chances include cbills or various equipment for mechs. No MC or MC items and no engines, endo, ferro, artemis. Only cbill items less than 1 million cbills.

There should be no way outside of match results to obtain tokens, and no way to “better” your chances at the grab bag.

“Oh no, not another currency!” Hey, Star Trek Online would like a word with you… :P

For lore purposes, there are many currencies to choose from if you want to. Each house and each periphery state has its own currency as well as Comstar (cbill).

#2 Squirg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 307 posts
  • LocationEromanga

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:13 PM

Because we all need more single heatsinks.

#3 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:15 PM

View PostSquirg, on 21 October 2015 - 02:13 PM, said:

Because we all need more single heatsinks.

Luck of the draw. It'll happen for sure. Could be a SHS or it could be a ERPPC or a DHS or a UAV (cbill ofc).

#4 Overlord Neb

• PipPipPip
  • Ironclad
  • Ironclad
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:25 PM

I love the idea of a salvaging part from enemy mechs. But I would prefer it if it went more like. You would get 5 random items from what was equipped on the various enemy mechs. Could be HS. Could be Guass Rifles. Either way that's more what I'd want to see done.

#5 TheNef

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:05 PM

I'd agree with Ghazzy five random usable parts from the loosing teams mechs.

#6 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:06 PM

View PostTheNef, on 21 October 2015 - 03:05 PM, said:

I'd agree with Ghazzy five random usable parts from the loosing teams mechs.

I agree this would be nice, but I am afraid it's too much to track maybe? 100% random is easier by far.

#7 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:16 PM

This sounds like a bad idea and only because I figure 99.9% of the parts you get will rot in your inventory.

There are how many weapons? What are the chances that I would get one that I could actually use?

If we had to vote I would say yes to having this feature but I'd just sell the weapons and heatsinks for cbills to get what I actually need.

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:25 PM

i dont see what this adds to the game. salvage is kindve pointless like R&R. it had a purpose in games like mercenaries because you had to manage limited funds, but in a game like MWO where you have virtually unlimited cbills, theres not much of a point to salvage/R&R.

id rather see pilot skill trees which unlock tech items/weapons unique to each skill tree. Or faction-specific CW rewards (like a unique hero mech for reaching rank 15 in a faction or something).

that would make role warfare and playing different factions more interesting.

Edited by Khobai, 21 October 2015 - 04:30 PM.

#9 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:06 PM

I like the idea.

Although I would go so far as to include engines and (stripped) mech chassis as extremely rare opportunities as well.

Anything that encourages more people to play, more often is a good thing and good for us all.

To us Vets it probably doesn't matter, but to a new player, winning a new mech chassis would be pure gold.

#10 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:25 PM

View PostXetelian, on 21 October 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

This sounds like a bad idea and only because I figure 99.9% of the parts you get will rot in your inventory.

There are how many weapons? What are the chances that I would get one that I could actually use?

If we had to vote I would say yes to having this feature but I'd just sell the weapons and heatsinks for cbills to get what I actually need.

So? Sell them for more cbills.

View PostKhobai, on 21 October 2015 - 04:25 PM, said:

i dont see what this adds to the game. salvage is kindve pointless like R&R. it had a purpose in games like mercenaries because you had to manage limited funds, but in a game like MWO where you have virtually unlimited cbills, theres not much of a point to salvage/R&R.

id rather see pilot skill trees which unlock tech items/weapons unique to each skill tree. Or faction-specific CW rewards (like a unique hero mech for reaching rank 15 in a faction or something).

that would make role warfare and playing different factions more interesting.

Well, I have another thought on returning R&R to MWO, but not in a way you think. Currently drafting the idea...

View Postslide, on 21 October 2015 - 05:06 PM, said:

I like the idea.

Although I would go so far as to include engines and (stripped) mech chassis as extremely rare opportunities as well.

Anything that encourages more people to play, more often is a good thing and good for us all.

To us Vets it probably doesn't matter, but to a new player, winning a new mech chassis would be pure gold.

You can't do whole mechs because you might give one to someone without a spare mechbay and could cause issues, the worst of which is a perma-lockup until a dev can provide a mechbay assuming you have the MC available.

#11 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:36 PM

One of the things they'd talked about way back was having a chance to salvage weapons or even a chassis with special quirks. I would like to see that implemented.

It would be cool if salvage was based off the parts of the mechs you got kills/assists on. Maybe for every assist you get a 1% chance at a piece of special equipment, kills give you 2.5% at special equipment, 1% at engine, and .1% at the chassis. If you don't have a free mechbay you can get the cbill value of the chassis. This sort of system would make salvage fun and interesting, especially for new players but also for vets.

#12 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:34 PM

I like to see the salvage idea combine with a soft R&R system.
All equipment(except engine and armour) destroyed by crit or lost to component destruction will be added to the salvage pile/loot bag system after match.

Meanwhile, player have to replace destroyed and lost equipment after each match from their stock or shop. Still have a chance salvage it from after match loot bags.
This will discourage player from running expensive weapons all the time, only player with a large cbill account or hitting jackpot in salvage can afford to run dakkawhale and gaussjag all the time.
Most player will naturally gravitate toward cheaper mundane weapon.
And sadist player with MG and Flamer can put a dent in your earnings.

#13 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:48 PM

Why would destroyed equipment be salvaged? Wouldn't it make more sense to base salvage on what was left intact, rather than asking the techs to piece back together things that've been blasted to smithereens?

#14 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:56 PM

Flawless backshot some ****** in 1(2?) hits, take all his goodies woooooohooooooooooo

Na but srsly I been sayin this about CW for yrs

#15 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:02 PM

Assuming such a methodology is used as cdlord suggests, might I suggest a Cadet bonus of tokens for new players, the longer players have been around, the better they are on average and the easier it is to acquire the C-bills for new toys, but new players may need to rely on salvage if they are not experienced in how to wisely spend their hard won C-bills.

#16 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:02 PM

I think this would be fun!

#17 SkyHammyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 462 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:10 PM

Damn, when you said, "Mini Game," I had envisioned a popup screen of Operation where you have to pull a delicate piece of equipment out of a twisted wreck. Pulling this piece of equipment through a treacherous tunnel so as not to break it.
Mmmm
Mini Game.

#18 Grognard1965

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 31 posts
  • LocationIronhold, waiting for my Solahma assignment

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:37 PM

Salvage is a pretty big deal in TT, and would go a long way for immersion, so I agree with this, as a general concept. However I side with the folks that say parts from the enemy team are the only possible retrievals. Thats what was on the field...

I dont think it would be hard to track because it only is performed game to game, and weapons from mechs in game are already tracked, or you wouldnt be shooting them, Id think. Though to keep this from getting out of hand, it should be a small chance.

Also, and I didnt read all the replies, so if anyone has said this already, then you get credit, and I just agree with you, but the items salvaged, should be just that... salvaged equipment. Which means, they should be in a state of disrepair. They should need to be fixed... Id gestimate 50%-100%, and until C-Bills are payed to "fix" it to 100% (% is directly relative to the standard cost, 100% equals really lucky perfect shape) one can not use it, its SALVAGE after all.

Edited by Olaf Pryde, 21 October 2015 - 09:38 PM.

#19 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:51 AM

Adding on to the salvage system; are salvage rights based on Faction.

Lone Wolf
Are freelancing mechwarrior with their own mechs.
They get salvage bonus as part of their contract.
Eg: 3 extra loot bag; -10% Cbill

Mercenaries
They work for the Cbills, not so much for salvage.
They get slightly more salvage bonus as part of their contract.
Eg: 1 extra loot bag; +10% Cbill

Loyalist
Piloting mech is part of their job, and salvage goes to the House.
They get no bonus salvage.
Eg: 0 extra loot bag; 0 Cbill bonus

To attract Loyalist, House will foot some of the bill for purchasing new equipment from shop.
Eg: Liao loyalist get Cbill discount buying ER/PPC and Flamer, Steiner loyalist buy AC20 and AC10 at discount, the longer a pilot's contract with the Faction the higher the discount.

It would be even better if CW will affect loyalist discount, a Faction capture a major LL manufacturing planet, loyalist from that Faction get to buy LL at discount. Faction that previously own that planet now buy LL at normal/higher price.

Edited by xengk, 22 October 2015 - 12:51 AM.

#20 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:05 AM

InB4 "RNG HATES ME!" threads ;)

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users