Arm Blown Off Overkill?

30 replies to this topic

#1 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:09 AM

Ok, so here's something "odd" that happened to me on HPG yersterday..

All new Hellbringer mech, completely undamaged.. So I'm walking about, and right in front of me, clear across the map, UP ON THE OUTER WALL, I notice something moving.

Couldn't see which mech was it..

But... He shoots me with large lasers (blue beams) and SHOOTS MY UNDAMAGED LEFT ARM CLEAN OFF!? (It literally flew off)

Please note that my arm had FULL ARMOR, and NO DAMAGE.. So.. how is this possible?

I did the math.. I have 40 armor on that arm.. that means it takes 60 damage to one-shot it off..

That means it takes a 6 x CERLL's to shoot it off in a single alpha..

I clearly saw the lasers coming since I was facing it head on. No gauss, no PPC was used..

Is there a mech in this game that can jump jet to the high outer walls on HPG Manifold, and bring 6 CERLL's there, then shoot me ONLY in the left arm clear across the map? (he didn't hit any other component, I was green across the board)

Even if it was a complete no-armor glass cannon gimp build, I can't think of a single mech that can bring that much firepower to a location that high up..

What's your theory?

The match ended with a 12:1 win for us, and I took NO OTHER damage the whole match (didn't even get shot at, despite brawling, ended fully undamaged except a missing arm)

Edited by Vellron2005, 23 October 2015 - 12:13 AM.

#2 Speedy Plysitkos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:19 AM

Exe, double tap 3LL + 3LL ?

#3 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:26 AM

Aliens... It's aliens...

#4 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:32 AM

It's PGI stealth testing a new balance idea, random damage values.

#5 Orisos

• PipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:40 AM

My theory is: "Welcome to Laser Vomit Online."

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:55 AM

Probably got hit by multiple mechs and you didn't notice it. Lasers don't make much sound.

Edited by El Bandito, 23 October 2015 - 12:55 AM.

#7 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:59 AM

Sniper did quarter of the total damage and PUG teamie with fat arse Nova behind you trying to return fire did the rest.

Nova's have wings that flap like a turkey riding a horse and they shoot people all the time without noticing.

#8 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:35 AM

View PostTitannium, on 23 October 2015 - 12:19 AM, said:

Exe, double tap 3LL + 3LL ?

Exe can't jump jet that high.. I mastered them.. I know they can't do it.. (Will try later after work in Training grounds to prove myself wrong)

View PostEl Bandito, on 23 October 2015 - 12:55 AM, said:

Probably got hit by multiple mechs and you didn't notice it. Lasers don't make much sound.

And all of them focused ONLY MY LEFT ARM? With nothing on the rest of me even scratched? Unlikely..

View PostRandom Carnage, on 23 October 2015 - 12:59 AM, said:

Sniper did quarter of the total damage and PUG teamie with fat arse Nova behind you trying to return fire did the rest.

Nova's have wings that flap like a turkey riding a horse and they shoot people all the time without noticing.

Again, even it it was a teammate, he would have hit more than just an arm.. although, most plausible so far..

View PostKisumiKitsune, on 23 October 2015 - 01:16 AM, said:

Clearly hackers. That's what you're implying, right? It's hackers. You won't be satisfied until someone enables you with supporting anecdotes.

Or it could just be the fact that laser impacts on HPG are 100% silent and you could have been shot from a million directions at once by the entire team and not noticed.

Again, definitely not shot anywhere else except left arm.. not even left torso... so.. would not put it beyond hacks.. definitely weird.. It's why I started the thread.. to explain it with something other than simple hacks.. (its too easy to call it just hacks.. I really want to know how it happened, and it not being hacks)

Edited by Vellron2005, 23 October 2015 - 02:38 AM.

#9 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:44 AM

Doesn't it only take 40 damage plus 1 leftover point to critical hit on the internals, ammo, or guass rifle?

#10 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:59 AM

View Postsycocys, on 23 October 2015 - 02:44 AM, said:

Doesn't it only take 40 damage plus 1 leftover point to critical hit on the internals, ammo, or guass rifle?

Arm carries no ammo, and its a clan mech, so no ammo explosion (all is case protected)

That mech (or most any other I use) does not carry a Gauss riffle..

#11 Athalus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:13 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 23 October 2015 - 02:59 AM, said:

Arm carries no ammo, and its a clan mech, so no ammo explosion (all is case protected)

That mech (or most any other I use) does not carry a Gauss riffle..

As for CASE, as far as I'm aware you're wrong there: CASE prevents the damage from spreading, not from exploding. So ammo located in your arm would still explode and destroy said arm, but the damage won't continue spreading to the side-torso it used to be connected to.

Right? Or am I horribly wrong here? :ph34r:

#12 Ronan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:20 AM

Athalus is right, CASE won't save the section its in or keep the explosion from happening. BUT OP says no ammo there and no Gauss rifle, so this ain't it anyway.

There IS at least one place to walk up onto the high walls. So the mech you saw didn't need to have JJ.

With a giant pile of bad luck you could have had crits happen. The right quirks can bring laser burn time down, a steady mouse hand can keep the beams on target when the reticule turns red, so just arm damage.

Feels like a "one in a million shot, doc. One in a million" moment to me.

#13 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:33 AM

View PostRonan, on 23 October 2015 - 03:20 AM, said:

There IS at least one place to walk up onto the high walls. So the mech you saw didn't need to have JJ.

WOW? Really?

I have to check that in Training Grounds... cose' that would change EVERYTHING!?

If you can WALK up to the outer wall on HPG, than its simply a lucky shot with a crapton of ERLL's..

Where is this magical security breech? What grid location?

Edited by Vellron2005, 23 October 2015 - 03:38 AM.

#14 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:03 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 23 October 2015 - 03:33 AM, said:

WOW? Really?

I have to check that in Training Grounds... cose' that would change EVERYTHING!?

If you can WALK up to the outer wall on HPG, than its simply a lucky shot with a crapton of ERLL's..

Where is this magical security breech? What grid location?

You climb the hills behind the spawn and run along the edge to either wall. You have to dance in and out of bounds for a bit but it definitely can be done, I have several times. In my experience you need to be reasonably fast to do it, I usually do it in light snipers like the Raven 3L.

Or you can aid the process with a jumpjet to avoid the out of bound parts, then I don't think you need that much speed. With some practice it's probably doable by a jumpjetting assault.

Jumpjetting heavies like TBR or Grasshopper would not have a hard time getting up there this way.

#15 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:58 AM

Wow.. really... I had NO IDEA...

OK, if so, then I guess it could have been a well-armed assault like an Exe or Stalker.. and a really lucky shot.

Thank you for helping to solve this mystery.

#16 Shae Starfyre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:16 AM

I have gotten a Dire up there once.

E7 is the starting point.

Edited by Aphoticus, 23 October 2015 - 06:30 AM.

#17 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:44 AM

Sounds like a six LL Stalker to me. There's a ramp near one of the gates that you can walk up to get onto one of the walls. It's a good place to snipe from if you're careful. That's probably what got you.

If you see something looking in your direction, make sure to torso twist immediately. Chances are, it's already got you lined up, so trying to target it yourself will just give it the shot it needs. Sometimes, it's better to take the hit, distribute the damage, and then return fire than it is to try and get off that first shot yourself.

#18 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:26 AM

Use your feet!

Posted Image

That's how you do it without an arm!

#19 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:29 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 23 October 2015 - 04:58 AM, said:

Wow.. really... I had NO IDEA...

OK, if so, then I guess it could have been a well-armed assault like an Exe or Stalker.. and a really lucky shot.

Thank you for helping to solve this mystery.

Since IS and Clan large lasers look quite different, you might be able to discern which from your memory.

I would point out that going there with a non JJ assault isn't very practical, because you are very limited if you can't hop over the various little obstacles on that wall. Your only recourse to cover once someone gets an angle on you is to jump down which might be suicidal depending on the situation. A jumpjetting mech on the other hand can choose to jump around up there a bit or drop down as it pleases, on the other hand a non JJ light like a locust or Raven is small enough to hide completely.

A dire wold is more plausible than both Stalker and Executioner IMO, since Dires both make good snipers and have jumpjets.

Also consider the possibility of a gauss shot being hidden in that LL shot, not easy to tell on HPG, in that case it could have been a number of mechs with 3LL+Gauss, like highlander or Victor or whatever.

#20 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:00 AM

Easy, because it was King Crab up on the wall, and he hit you with 2 ERLL's and 2 Gauss.

Yeah, it was almost a great shot, thank you very much, BUT, I was aiming for your f'ing head, so... It was really a crap shot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users