Honor Vs. Securing Wins

75 replies to this topic

#61 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:51 AM

Against a fresh assault with superior fire position I would have hid as well. Had it been a cored mech with way of shooting back within 90 I would have opted for assaulting with the cheetah face hugging for the kill. Being dead it wouldn't be my fight anyway and if my team mates ran away I would have just disconnected and started a new game.

I've also just popped some popcorn and opened a beer...

#62 Scar Glamour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:16 PM

I think all non-resource gathering matches should treat alive mechon both sides by the end of the match as a mutual loss. But I would also like to have folks who like to hide and powerdown in a hopeless situations to get highlighted after a few minutes of not moving.

Yes, I am pretty much against the idea that everyone should be left to play as they feel like. This is a team game. In sports no one just let's goalees hang around behind the net, because the don't want to get hit by the ball.

#63 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:56 AM

To the people who were in the match (they know who they are):

Gentlemen, let me begin by stating, that AT NO POINT has my behavior in the game chat, or in this thread been in any way abusive. I merely stated my position, which is present and clear. (As was yours). In fact, others in the said chat have acted far worse, and the whole thing escalated quickly, so I doubt that anyone can lay blame on anyone else. It was a discussion that started as an advice (like many in-game chat discussions do), and I had NOT been abusive the whole time. Its very different calling someone "unclan like" or "dishonorable" and blatantly calling someone and "idiot" as some of the other players did (I didn't remember their names, nor did I report them, it was pointless).

I genuinely felt like the enemy was cheated by your decision, which is why I apologized to them.

It was in fact, I who told the others they were spewing profanities. I refrain from such verbal abuse always, and never encourage it.

Now, as to the matter of your mech's condition. I believe that the two of you could have, with some smart playing on your respective parts, taken out the Awesome, with little effort. I've seen stronger and fresher mechs fall to a single light, and you were two.

If I recall correctly, I did ok in the said match, but that is not important.

Please know that this thread was not started as a response to that particular match, nor as any "hate or pride or whatever like that" thread. If you feel the conditions of your mechs were misrepresented, I admit I might have missed the mark slightly, but my opinion on your success against the Awesome remains.

I started this thread to genuinely ask people about what THEY would do in that situation.

The game you and I were in is OVER AND DONE.

I AM NOT CALLING ANYONE OUT, nor do I encourage anyone else to do so, nor am I mentioning any names, simply because I find that also to be dishonorable. (and name-and-shaming is a thing I don't support)

I'm genuinely sorry if you felt bad after that exchange and know that so did I (and probably everyone else involved).

The mere fact that everyone felt that way points to the fact that there's no such thing as "its just a game".

There really is no further need for abusiveness, name-calling, and unpleasantness.

This is a thread about what OTHERS would do in that situation... everybody knows what YOU and I would do...

#64 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:12 AM

I secure the win. The objective is to win and if I can get a win by not engaging, sorry but those are the breaks.

I am more frustrated with a player who could have won us the match, but took unnecessary risks and got killed than I am of a player who played it safe and I had to wait a bit. It just leaves me more time to grab a drink or use the bathroom :).

Go for the win.

#65 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:42 AM

Opposite for me. After a good match i dont really care if i loose. You tried your best and the enemy was better. The fight is fun for me the win is secondary. I also prefer watching someone die trying than shutdown facing a wall. Seen so many great things the last man standing could do but you´ll never know if you dont try.

#66 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:43 AM

The Dead have no Say! You want input on how the Match plays out to the end, stay alive. Otherwise, DC and move on, pick a Cockpit to watch from or just STFU! (your dead remember) ;)

Edited by Almond Brown, 26 October 2015 - 07:45 AM.

#67 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:56 AM

Fresh awesome and fresh ACH + one other most fresh is a clear win for that two some.

#68 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:09 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 26 October 2015 - 07:43 AM, said:

The Dead have no Say! You want input on how the Match plays out to the end, stay alive. Otherwise, DC and move on, pick a Cockpit to watch from or just STFU! (your dead remember) ;)

Technically, your not "dead".. you ejected and need a ride home... its actually rare for Mech Pilots to die in mechs (most such deaths are due to headshots)

And since you'r not dead, we can safelly assume you still have some comms, radio, or what passes for a cellphone in 3050 :P

So no STFU...

#69 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:27 AM

If it's Community Warfare, you go for the win.

If it's a public match, you do what you want as long it's not a terms of use violation. Going for the win by running the clock is not a terms of use violation, since you are securing victory. It might not be as much fun, but it will new you a little more rewards.

**However**
If the Awesome was just hiding in the base, then you should call the Awesome pilot out for being a coward, not the 2 winning teammates. The Awesome is the one who ran out the clock by hiding and forcing a loss on his team.

The Awesome pilot should have been charging their position... If he had any honor, that is.

( /thread)

Edited by Prosperity Park, 26 October 2015 - 08:28 AM.

#70 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:33 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 26 October 2015 - 08:27 AM, said:

The Awesome pilot should have been charging their position... If he had any honor, that is.)

Well I think he was trying to.. but couldn't find them, they outrun him easily.. :P

#71 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:04 AM

This example is being poorly analyzed.

The enemy is going to lose, so they are the ones who need to do something to turn the tide.
No ifs or buts about it, in any war scenario, you only engage to secure a win, not to give the enemy a chance.

If the enemy needs to get one kill, the enemy needs to do something about it. Not you or your team.

Playing the game smart is leaving and waiting for the enemy on your own terms. If the enemy doesn't engage, then they are the cowards!

Playing the game stupid is to engage the enemy at their terms when you have the upper hand.

So, yes, the retreat was the best option. You only wasted 7 minutes because the Awesome enemy didn't move to engage, he wanted to get the battle at his own terms but while losing, he should of done something other than sitting on his thumbs and waiting.

Even if your team had ran and hidden it would still be the best option, after all this isn't about killing more and honor or whatever you want to think except the win.

I congratulate your teammates for not engaging the enemy at his own terms.

"Come and get me" is the kind of taunt made by people who only think for themselves and not the team. He only wanted to battle on his terms or lose. He was dumb.

Edit - And the enemy was the one to blame for the 7 minute wait.

Edited by FlipOver, 26 October 2015 - 09:07 AM.

#72 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:11 AM

I would say you're a complete and utter ******* for the way you think. You don't get to control how other people play. In the whole scheme of things this win didn't matter at all...you know because there is no point other than CB earnings to collect redundant mechs. Still you have no business trying to dictate how people play go role play somewhere else.

-edit: Don't drop if you have ADHD and can't be locked in to one of your many mechs for 15 whole mins. OMGERDZ!

-second edit: LOL, I just realized you also tried to dictate how people would discuss your topic. BAHAHA! Control freak much!?! You can't possibly ask for such when you automatically call one side of the argument "cowardice". Please GTFO.

-third edit: Nice try spinning the story in your twisted way. You probably thought everyone would side on your bias representation of what happened. Anyone could through it even before reading the accounts of those present. I hope whatever unit you are in kicks you out.

Edited by GRiPSViGiL, 26 October 2015 - 09:27 AM.

#73 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:40 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 26 October 2015 - 08:09 AM, said:

Technically, your not "dead".. you ejected and need a ride home... its actually rare for Mech Pilots to die in mechs (most such deaths are due to headshots)

And since you'r not dead, we can safelly assume you still have some comms, radio, or what passes for a cellphone in 3050 :P

So no STFU...

Given that piss poor attitude good MechWarrior, we will see you back at the hangar. Have a nice walk back. ;)

#74 DivineTomatoes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:00 PM

Screw honour, it's a game. The point of a game is to win.

Win by any means necessary.

While it came from a video game it's a good quote though I like to shorten it.

"Ask the dead about honour".

#75 Airu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:24 PM

Didn't read all the replies, but I would've called the cowards out for being them and disconnected to play another game in a different mech.
If players want to sit and wait for 7 minutes doing nothing just to get extra 30-50k, in those 7 minutes I could get another 90k by playing another match. But changing someone's opinion on the internet is doing yourself a disservice.
I, perosnally, never waste time even if it is to secure a win. My only goal is to maximize the fun in the game, otherwise why even play it.

#76 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:07 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 26 October 2015 - 09:11 AM, said:

I would say you're a complete and utter ******* for the way you think. You don't get to control how other people play. In the whole scheme of things this win didn't matter at all...you know because there is no point other than CB earnings to collect redundant mechs. Still you have no business trying to dictate how people play go role play somewhere else.

-edit: Don't drop if you have ADHD and can't be locked in to one of your many mechs for 15 whole mins. OMGERDZ!

-second edit: LOL, I just realized you also tried to dictate how people would discuss your topic. BAHAHA! Control freak much!?! You can't possibly ask for such when you automatically call one side of the argument "cowardice". Please GTFO.

-third edit: Nice try spinning the story in your twisted way. You probably thought everyone would side on your bias representation of what happened. Anyone could through it even before reading the accounts of those present. I hope whatever unit you are in kicks you out.

Nice job completely missing the point of this topic and doing everything in your power to flame, hate and spew profanities.

Also, thank you for giving my opinion a rating of 7 stars. I usually get only five <_<

Edited by Vellron2005, 27 October 2015 - 12:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users