Underdogs, Uncommon Or Just Unpopular Mechs

52 replies to this topic

#1 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:38 PM

I always like to play the freak, the outcast, the anti-hero when I play games. I shy away from the mainstream choices and min/maxing power gaming. Especially in games like this with customizable builds that the player base themselves are in charge of, there often emerge a few builds or tactics that reign supreem on the battlefield. But I'm just automatically bored with them.
Sure, there is bound to be a build that lets a player one-hit enemies across the field without them even being able to spot where the shot come from. And naturally a large majority of players will be drawn to those build cause they want to win and get the highest kill ranking.
Not me though. I just feel there isn't much of a game if there is not challenge or struggle.
Plus I usually totally suck at using whatever the current super build is that dominate the field of battle, making me the only one guranteed to lose while power gaming.

Therefore I'm wondering which mechs at this time (2015-10-17) that are uncommon or unusual to see fighting in MWO? The reason doesn't matter. Just that chances to see one in a team is small to very rare.
(However, please feel free to add the reason. I might like the odd freak but I'm not a masochist. If the mech is uncommon because it can't be used to spam lasers or whatever super tactic is the best way to win atm I interested. If the reason is that it uncontrollable and it makes the camera sway so much that you get seasick I don't want it either.

Don't say the Urban Mech cause I'm so getting that one already.
Do however include trial mechs that would and usually are uncommon when they are not free.

#2 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:01 PM

I know that the Sarah 'Mech was once popular among most players when it was fist released, though now you rarely, if at all even see that 'Mech fielded, which is quite the shame, considering the reason it was introduced in the first place, to be replaced by light 'Mech pilots tending to use the (H) or (C) or regular Jenners instead, as well as the Hunchbacks - despite their capabilities, they are not all that common either, and you would be lucky to see even one Hunchback (of any variant) in any drop you participate in.

Another I have noticed is the Cicada - although a lot of people still play them, they are uncommon on the battlefield (though I suspect that has more to do with the quirks than anything else that comes with the 'Mech). These days, people tend to play heavy - assault 'Mechs in most drops with a support consisting of mostly light 'Mechs, both on the IS side and Clan side) and I have noticed a significant decline of people using the Summoner, which is quite the shame because that is an exceptional 'Mech once you have it at least Elite Tiered. Seems most people tend to go more for armour and fire power these days, which makes the game weaker when you take out the tactics and strategy that MWO really embodies.

#3 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:18 PM

Anansi, St. Ives, Quarantine and Loup de guerre.

Victors in general (only trails if spotted, also soon dead after spotted).
The game used to be full of dragon slayers left and right.

#4 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:27 PM

About half the IS mechs are pretty rarely seen in the public queue nowadays. There may be more of these mechs in the lower tiers but in the higher tier matchmaking most people are bringing mechs that can handle themselves. I'll list some notable ones:

COM-3A
SDR-5V
VND-1X, 1R
KTO-all
DRG-1C
CTF-2X
AWS-8T, 8V, PB
STK-5S (actually a pretty decent mech just that people buy the other variants a lot more)
AS7-K

A lot of these are older chassis that PGI sort of ignored or gave up on during the quirkenings.

#5 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:49 PM

View PostLeif Tanner, on 16 October 2015 - 04:01 PM, said:

I know that the Sarah 'Mech was once popular among most players when it was fist released, though now you rarely, if at all even see that 'Mech fielded, which is quite the shame, considering the reason it was introduced in the first place, to be replaced by light 'Mech pilots tending to use the (H) or (C) or regular Jenners instead, as well as the Hunchbacks - despite their capabilities, they are not all that common either, and you would be lucky to see even one Hunchback (of any variant) in any drop you participate in.

Another I have noticed is the Cicada - although a lot of people still play them, they are uncommon on the battlefield (though I suspect that has more to do with the quirks than anything else that comes with the 'Mech). These days, people tend to play heavy - assault 'Mechs in most drops with a support consisting of mostly light 'Mechs, both on the IS side and Clan side) and I have noticed a significant decline of people using the Summoner, which is quite the shame because that is an exceptional 'Mech once you have it at least Elite Tiered. Seems most people tend to go more for armour and fire power these days, which makes the game weaker when you take out the tactics and strategy that MWO really embodies.

The JR7-D(S) Sarah's Jenner IS just a novel loadout and small C-Bill boost on a common JR7-D. And unique paint job. And a GREAT cause. AND no longer available, unfortunately. Jenners were still good meta lights when it released, and it was a solid meta build on that variant.

Underdog? Blackjack.
Uncommon? Also Blackjack.
Plain junk? About half of the hero mechs. Google: Anansi

#6 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 05:15 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 16 October 2015 - 04:49 PM, said:

Underdog? Blackjack.
Uncommon? Also Blackjack.

Except the blackjack kicks all kinds of ass. Even ignoring it's quirks it's got very nice high mounted hard-points and a slim side profile when twisting.

I'd say

Panther - Big commando syndrome. Not a lot of hardpoints and generally too dependent on ammo based weapons for an IS light.

Vindicator - I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the hardpoint locations, maybe it just has too few hardpoints. You don't see many.

Trerbuchet - Large target, reliant on long range missiles.

Centurion - Limited by it's enormous size and tendency to lose it's gun arm.

Shadowhawks - These are fundamentally very good 'Mechs which you simply don't see any more for whatever reason.
It's weird.

Everything else looks like it's been covered.

Really it probably would have been faster to ask "what are the meta 'Mechs" and then just avoid those.

#7 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:19 PM

Agreed. Just saying, I hardly ever SEE a Blackjack in PUG play, and it's pretty damned good for what it is.

#8 Private Backside

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • Locationso far to the east, it's almost a some men's far west.

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:26 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 16 October 2015 - 07:19 PM, said:

Agreed. Just saying, I hardly ever SEE a Blackjack in PUG play, and it's pretty damned good for what it is.

don't underestimate us pugs. )
I'm as pug as one can be, and honorable mr. BJ is my most played mech. Incredible tough little speedy mofos they are, whole family.
Posted Image

#9 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:42 PM

PUG here, too. Wanna work on some things before I go dragging down my team any more. Good dudes. They deserve a better light pilot than I can be right now, so I take it out on PUGlandia.

Seriously, I think you may have ripped the s**t out of my ACHs in PUG before. I KNOW we've dropped together.

I used to have a couple BJs, and I've considered getting back into them. COOL mechs. Not sure about the Arrow. Might like to have the flexibility for my IS drop deck, though, and they CAN carry respectable firepower at a quick ground speed and with JJs.

Just saying, it might be the IS mech I see the LEAST of in PUG these days, and that's kinda sad since it's an inherently decent mech. Enforcer? No interest. And I see that more. GRF, WVR, SHD? All disappoint me in various ways (I think they're ALL a little too BIG, though). Blackjack? Deserves more respect, doesn't usually get it. Hence, UNDERDOG.

#10 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:56 PM

You can also make not so common builds with popular mechs.

If you want to look at the "not so shiny" clan mechs you could give shadow cats a try. They're tough to handle and what seems like 70% trashing it.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:07 PM

The Spider SDR-5V, I see the other Spiders at least occoasionaly but I do not recall seeing a 5V in game in the last year unless I am piloting it.

The 5V is the least heavily armed Mech in the game with its maximum possible firepower being 2 Medium Pulse Lasers,

The 5V is the single most mobile Mech in the game, able to do 169 KPH with 12 Jumpjets, there are Mechs able to hit 171 but onlu the SDR 5K with the same max engine, can go faster than 152 KPH with jumpjets and it has a limit of 6 Jets

#12 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:54 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 16 October 2015 - 11:07 PM, said:

The Spider SDR-5V, I see the other Spiders at least occoasionaly but I do not recall seeing a 5V in game in the last year unless I am piloting it.

The 5V is the least heavily armed Mech in the game with its maximum possible firepower being 2 Medium Pulse Lasers,

The 5V is the single most mobile Mech in the game, able to do 169 KPH with 12 Jumpjets, there are Mechs able to hit 171 but onlu the SDR 5K with the same max engine, can go faster than 152 KPH with jumpjets and it has a limit of 6 Jets

anansi can go 160 kph (270 rating) with 6 jumpjets and 6 tons left for weapons.

Also, i beg to differ, 171,1 kph for the death's knell, us lunatic lightpilots really do care about the 0,6 0,8 kph maxspeed difference. ;)

Edited by LOADED, 17 October 2015 - 02:26 AM.

#13 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:10 AM

View Postno one, on 16 October 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

Except the blackjack kicks all kinds of ass. Even ignoring it's quirks it's got very nice high mounted hard-points and a slim side profile when twisting.

I'd say

Panther - Big commando syndrome. Not a lot of hardpoints and generally too dependent on ammo based weapons for an IS light.

Vindicator - I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the hardpoint locations, maybe it just has too few hardpoints. You don't see many.

Trerbuchet - Large target, reliant on long range missiles.

Centurion - Limited by it's enormous size and tendency to lose it's gun arm.

Shadowhawks - These are fundamentally very good 'Mechs which you simply don't see any more for whatever reason.
It's weird.

Everything else looks like it's been covered.

Really it probably would have been faster to ask "what are the meta 'Mechs" and then just avoid those.

What is a meta mech?

#14 Private Backside

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • Locationso far to the east, it's almost a some men's far west.

Posted 17 October 2015 - 02:39 AM

View PostChryckan, on 17 October 2015 - 02:10 AM, said:

What is a meta mech?

the one which pilot likes to sniff shiny stuff.

Edited by MonkeyAss, 17 October 2015 - 02:50 AM.

#15 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:42 AM

OP. Totally agree on your opinion. While I pilot and loadout some of my mechs to meta and use some of the popular chassi/ variants. I do love to experiment and use the uncommon, less popular mechs with unusual loadouts. I like the challenge too and can become quite badass and more useful than one might think B)
I see going for the anti-meta, underdog, forgotten mechs as something worth praising and those who does, alot of kudos to.

As far I see it. The quirks and meta are slowly killing the interest and/or need to pilot the mechs you guys have listed.

I say kill the quirks, ALL of them. Weapon quirks of any kind, then adjust and balance thereafter. The only quirks that should be added to mechs are for armor, heat, movement and structure quirks and then again no more than say... 20 % increase.

Every mech and every variant of each chassis should be taken an interest in again and somewhat even to get a chance to see on the battlefield.

May be a far-stretched wish. But PGI, somehow make it happen that all if not most mechs get the attention again.
Because the forgotten or "useless" mechs are actually some of the more interesting ones ;)

#16 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:44 AM

Loaded, I think Rogue Jedi's point was that there may be slightly faster mechs out there, but only the Spider 5V can go as fast as it can AND equip 12 jump jets. But I agree that the 5V is probably the biggest underdog out there. Sometimes there's a really good reason why the underdog is the underdog, and I think that this is well proven in the 5V. It only has 2 energy slots in the CT for a grand total of 2 critical spaces available. This means that it can either mount 2 medium pulses or regular mediums OR 1 large laser of either variety. Sadly an ERPPC is right out.

For as maneuverable as it is, it is still way undergunned.

Edited by mailin, 23 October 2015 - 01:19 AM.

#17 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:52 AM

View PostChryckan, on 16 October 2015 - 03:38 PM, said:

I always like to play the freak, the outcast, the anti-hero when I play games. I shy away from the mainstream choices and min/maxing power gaming. Especially in games like this with customizable builds that the player base themselves are in charge of, there often emerge a few builds or tactics that reign supreem on the battlefield. But I'm just automatically bored with them.
Sure, there is bound to be a build that lets a player one-hit enemies across the field without them even being able to spot where the shot come from. And naturally a large majority of players will be drawn to those build cause they want to win and get the highest kill ranking.
Not me though. I just feel there isn't much of a game if there is not challenge or struggle.
Plus I usually totally suck at using whatever the current super build is that dominate the field of battle, making me the only one guranteed to lose while power gaming.

Therefore I'm wondering which mechs at this time (2015-10-17) that are uncommon or unusual to see fighting in MWO? The reason doesn't matter. Just that chances to see one in a team is small to very rare.
(However, please feel free to add the reason. I might like the odd freak but I'm not a masochist. If the mech is uncommon because it can't be used to spam lasers or whatever super tactic is the best way to win atm I interested. If the reason is that it uncontrollable and it makes the camera sway so much that you get seasick I don't want it either.

Don't say the Urban Mech cause I'm so getting that one already.
Do however include trial mechs that would and usually are uncommon when they are not free.

Commando, Spider, Panther for the lights.
- The Commando was never a great Mech 'cause its position at the low end of the weight class in combination with its unsavory profile and lack of ECM.
- The Spider was once a GREAT Mech. Its once enormous jumpcapability, high speed, ecm, and slim outline made it a dangerous mech. Now its jumpjets are nefed, its armament is obsolete, and soon its ecm won't be that overwhelming either, especially when compared with firestarter, arctic cheater, and the ilc.
- Panther was a cheap and common light firesupport mech in Battletech TT campaigns cause it was easiely deployed in large numbers. In MWO where availability, upceap, supply and the like does not mater its simply a bad joke.
Its slow its hitboxes are unfavorable.

- To be honest its easyer to state the favorable IS mediums than the unfavorable.
Blackjack, Hunchback and maybe the Shadowhawk may still be not too much of underdogs.
Wolverine, Griffin, Enforcer, Centurion, are just old but still playable just seldom seen.
All other meds are either quite circumstantial or outright....meh. (just my opinion may be inspired by hill and corner humping ECM Cicadas doing sh.... dmg and beeing the last one alive ^^)

- Catapult, Cataphract, Orion maybe the Blackknight:
Catapult suffers greatly from the current Laser and Gauss meta ( so the K2 may seem the exception but suffers from its hitboxes ).
The once mighty Cataphract is now somewhat obsolete cause of its hardpoint positioning and large hitboxes.
Its still a viable mech but there are simply better mechs out there now.
Orion is a Mech like the Panther. It should be a versatile and sturdy mech like its in Battletech TT.
In MWO there is just no need for versatility cause you can configure your Mech like you want and your environment has no real impact on your battle capabilitys. ( No real terrain influence on your movement, large open spaces and ridiculously spacy citys, movement through water, snow and ice like its not there )
So your wide weapon diversity becomes a draw back cause you cant capitalize one one system.
The Blackknight has maybe the baddest hitboxes since introduction of the awesome and this in combination with its inability to carry jumpjets there is no real reason not to take the grasshopper instead.

- For the Assaults Victor, Awesome and Zeus and maybe the Atlas are the Underdogs:
The Victor just moves wrong and is so incredibly underquirked its simply....not viable.
The Awesome nowadays is much better than it once was but still got the air of the glassarmored wannabe Assault.
The Zeus has the same problem like the Orion. To much hardpoint variability but not enough of one sort to capitalize on one or two systems. ( But it still make a symphatic underdog )
The Highlander got hit bad by the jumpjet nerf bat.
Now the only next to viable variant sports 3 large lasers and a gauss.... ( blaugh... :wacko: )
Maybe try something other and you get a decent undedog.
The Atlas is absurdly cumbersome, has baaaaaaadly positioned Hardpoints and is very large.
But with a good pilot it still can melt faces.

Edited by The Basilisk, 17 October 2015 - 03:53 AM.

#18 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:08 AM

I love my Victors. I'm not blind to their faults but they are the only assault chassis that I like. The others don't have the Victor's mobility. They're simple, clean, mobile, 60 ton 'mechs that masquerade as 80s and drop in the assault queue :) . None have huge quirks, all have jets, and they have XL-friendly hitboxes. I can add on BAP and AMS as well, plenty of spare tonnage for that especially with the VTR-DS.

The Dragon Slayer is my favorite. Yes, it is the old meta. Now it is the anti-meta. One AC10 and 2 LPL with a 32 alpha doesn't sound like a lot of guns for today's assaults given the power creep of new platforms and the Clans, but the VTR-DS was my most consistent performer before I invested in the real IS meta to anchor a dropdeck for my unit and I still run it as part of the deck. It can't 'tart like the old days and it's not a stand-in-the-door brawler but it can skirmish and support 100-tonners and has the armor to act as a heavy scout. It was the first 'mech I ever broke 750 damage in, and the first to get more than three kills in a match.

#19 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:58 AM

OP, I'd be careful if you are just starting out. MWO has a very steep learning curve. There are lots of forum posts of players who spend their entire cadet bonus on a mech they don't like.

And nothing will make you like a mech less than constantly dooing poorly, especially if you are trying to learn the game at the same time.

My suggestion would be to play all the trial mechs a lot and find out what style of play suits you. Play for fun, and don't worry if it's common.

At the same time I'd look to Shadowhaws and Hunchbacks. Both are solid mechs that aren't seen very much and can take a variety of builds, you can get pretty creative with them without feeling that you're learning the ropes with both hands tied behind your back.

And eventually you may fall into T5 with me where non meta mechs are a majority and Urbies can outperform Cheetahs!

#20 Ionna Silver

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:05 AM

Kintaro, but if you use arm missles, you're gonna have a bad time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users