New Gamemode Proposal - Making Bigger Maps Fun

78 replies to this topic

#61 Brody

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:10 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 03 August 2016 - 08:31 AM, said:

I'm assuming you mean increased time-to-kill. Problem with that: we don't want to increase TTK any further, as it's already nice and high for 1v1 confrontations, as it should be.

No, I meant reduce.

If you had the ability to single-handedly drop another 'mech almost instantaneously then deathballing/firing lines would be useless. Snipers would be viable. Games would be more dynamic. More of the maps would be used. Lastly, light 'mechs and scouting would serve a purpose (because snipers and ecm would be deadly threats that would need to be sought out)

Edit: perhaps increase the size of the cockpit hit boxes, and change nothing else, allowing accurate players to achieve this?

Edited by Brody, 04 August 2016 - 04:13 AM.

#62 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:08 AM

View PostBrody, on 04 August 2016 - 04:10 AM, said:

No, I meant reduce.

If you had the ability to single-handedly drop another 'mech almost instantaneously then deathballing/firing lines would be useless.

And the game would be CoD instead of MWO. The entire point of MechWarrior is that mechs take a while to bring down. You'd be cutting out the soul of the game.

Anyway, I don't want to take away from the discussion of the gamemode proposal, so yeah, we'll agree to disagree.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 04 August 2016 - 11:08 AM.

#63 Brody

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:12 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 04 August 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

And the game would be CoD instead of MWO. The entire point of MechWarrior is that mechs take a while to bring down. You'd be cutting out the soul of the game.

Anyway, I don't want to take away from the discussion of the gamemode proposal, so yeah, we'll agree to disagree.

I can't help myself, last response I promise.

The soul of this game is not in it's TTK. It's soul rests firmly in it's player base and their desire to take over the galaxy in big stompy robots with laser beams. Essentially, combined arms and team play.

Also, a lot more people like, play and pay for CoD than MWO.

#64 zolop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:54 AM

Great idea. Agree with making the TTK for 1vs1 shorter is generally a bad idea comparing to what it is now. Hopefully the power draw mechanic makes better more immersive gameplay than Ghost heat and provides the same or a slight increase in TTK (1vs1).

Hopefully the assault mode from the quick play cna be further turned into a larger CW mode like this. New Assault game mode has sensor network, power generators for turrets, destructible structures/walls and a sensor network etc.

Edited by zolop, 07 August 2016 - 08:55 AM.

#65 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:22 PM

Liked this on youtube 10 months ago.
Ten damn months.
You would think that PGI would take notice of this.
But nooooooo.
More worried about COC violations and supply caches.
For being my favorite game sometimes it really makes me sad.

#66 Grimvid

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 70 posts
  • LocationWith my pack of wolfhounds

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:03 PM

I like this Proposal, it has holes and only deals with the attacking forces. Three attack lanes? All the defenders have to do is mass their forces one lane at a time.

A mech commander map lay out is something that could be tried.

#67 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:58 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 23 August 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

Liked this on youtube 10 months ago.
Ten damn months.
You would think that PGI would take notice of this.

They've noticed. Just because there wasn't a dev response doesn't mean it went unnoticed.

#68 Wecx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 25 August 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

They've noticed. Just because there wasn't a dev response doesn't mean it went unnoticed.

Rebas, quit making good ideas and buy a mech pack!

#69 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:30 PM

View PostGrimvid, on 24 August 2016 - 03:03 PM, said:

I like this Proposal, it has holes and only deals with the attacking forces. Three attack lanes? All the defenders have to do is mass their forces one lane at a time.

Unless the attackers are smart enough to push in three lances simultaneously.

#70 Johnny Kurita

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationTukayyid

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

Hi - just wanted to say this is spectacular. I haven't seriously played the game until just this past year, so I've been catching up on the state of affairs. I was shocked to see your original post date for this video was nearly 10 months back, simply because it makes so much damned sense, yet FW doesn't have anything near to this. This is real Mechwarrior stuff. Kudos to you, Rebas Kradd!

#71 Supersmacky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 239 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:49 AM

This is a really interesting proposal.

#72 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:11 AM

With the recent discussions on faction play I was reminded of your proposal.
At the moment I feel there are a couple of points that are limiting faction play.
  • It is based around the concept of being a 'match' which automatically limits how we think about it when we should instead think of it as a battle which then begins to encompass more aspects and greater depth.
  • The current mode is too restrictive, not only by map design and limited objectives which your proposal does very well to negate, but also that it is 12 v 12. No more, no less. We need to think of the mode through it's smallest denominator, the solo player, so it can expand and allow for greater than 12 v 12 in a single battle. (Because we can use waves)
Anyway, the concept of multiple and varying objectives combined with different map designs would be a great improvement to the mode.

#73 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:51 PM

Thanks, guys.

I want to reiterate at this point that the mobile field base and sensor net components are really just kinda side pieces and not central to the proposal. What's central is, using cap points as 1. advancing spawn points and 2. asset suppliers so that both sides are motivated to fight over them - all of them, simultaneously. Everything else is gravy, including what assets are actually awarded.

#74 AlphaThis

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

I would actually play CW if this became a thing.

#75 Praxx

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOrange, CA

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:17 PM

I really liked the video, well done. Mobile bases at the capped LZ is a nice idea. I was thinking about taking it a bit further. Since we're talking about LZ's, lets actually bring in a drop ship that lands. Lets say an assault class drop ship like the Colossus. It's big, but it isn't impossible to destroy. As the LZ's are capped, the drop ship moves forward and is quite capable of defending itself. I'd like to see one change though. If a drop ship is destroyed, then the ability to drop down that lane is gone. The defending team can leave the base to try to take these out, but they really put themselves and the base at risk. One optional goal of the defenders is to destroy the drop ships. If they are successful, no more drops can happen, defenders win, but this optional win will be terribly hard.

I'd also like to see tanks, bunkers with soldiers (little rocket launchers), etc. Maybe even have an air base that one defending lance drops onto to defend. These air craft will attack the drop ships. Maybe the drop ships can have a squadron themselves that can attack enemy fighters, and even attack the main base with bombing strikes. Attackers need to destroy the air base to take heat off of all the mechs and especially the drop ships. I thought about being able to capture the base, but no, just need to take it out. Plus, blowing up buildings is fun.

Current turrets in-game are pointless. I'd like to see something more like Calipso turrets with ER Lasers, LRM banks, even gauss. Give them a good recharge rate as well, let them really be important. Take gates out and bases stuck in canyons. Let us blow a hole in the walls to get in. If we're really in a war, lets have a war with all the elements involved. Don't really care about the orbital gun, doesn't seem to hit anything anyways, so let it just be a we want your base, we're going to do our best to take it.

Praxx

#76 Guile Votoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:18 PM

This was one of my first thoughts when I started playing the game.
Where are the huge maps? Where are the tactics? Where is actual scouting?

Most of the problems of MWO stem from it's small maps and arcade-ish game-modes actively preventing tactical play.
It's why scouting is little more then the initial "there they are" and why LRMs are so awkward.

You can occasionally see glimpses of what Rebas Kradd's suggestion would be like in Polar Highlands or Alpine Peaks Skirmish.

All we need are huge battlefields and a large variety of tools and options, instead of even more semi-functional arcade game modes.

#77 Darth Charming

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:08 PM

Yeah, so what's the story here? How has PGI not noticed this thread? I'd hate to think that all the negativity pointed their way is justified and they just don't care/ don't have the ability to make this happen. It has to be that they just haven't noticed, right?

Right?

#78 Guile Votoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:52 AM

Sadly, we have moved even further away from this ideal with the recent inclusion of Pug modes in CW.

#79 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

Not necessarily.
We could probably all agree that the addition of the modes has brought in added depth and variety that was sorely needed.
We could also agree that the longer battles with the drop decks has also made the quick play modes more interesting.
Where there has been some kick back is in not being able to play in some of these modes because the tug of war bar is not in that stage at the time you want to participate.

So the answer is really to take it a step further and combine it into one longer larger battle.
If a single map had the Assault, Conquest, Domination and Invasion objectives, (albeit with a change to the win condition so it was more inclusive and didn't just end with a base capture or something), then it takes the battle to another level where we can further increase the time limit and begin to add in other features that can only work in larger scale battles.

Ultimately I believe that Faction Play does need to involve into that open style of warfare where it can cater from 1 player doing some scouting to a lance raiding for supplies all in preparation to much larger groups invading. We can still use the tug of war view of the planet to see how it is going overall, but we bring that tug of war into each battle by allowing control of different points to shift back and forth within each individual battle. Until we get a more open and inclusive system we are prevented from adding in features and even different tech that only works if the scope is big enough.

Edited by 50 50, 18 January 2017 - 12:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users