#1 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:46 PM

To: All Inner Sphere Clan units
Subject: Re-enforcement Mech's moving to Current Clan Wolf Holdings.
Message Begins:
All Clan Wolf Garrison commanders are advised to send All Omni Mech's foreword to inward Clan Wolf holdings. these Machines will be used to form a defense line pending the completion of the Tykaaid cease fire, replacement Machines will be sent to garrisons along the borders and less impotent planets. The following Machines will be sent as soon as 4 days from the arrival of this message.
One: Jenner IIC
Two: Hunchback IIC
Three: Orion IIC
Four: Highlander IIC
all commanders are encouraged to review data on these machines with there Mech' warriors and provide lists of available assets and names of pilots for these machines prior to the delivery of these machines.
END TRANSMISSION.

#2 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:29 AM

Nice little fluffy bit... Problem is I think these second line Mechs will be taking over the front line slots :/

#3 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

To be more accurate, most Clans included Battlemechs in their frontlines. With the exception of the Hunchback IIC, which I would regard as solely a defensive garrison mech, the other three IIC mechs would definitely see frontline action. Especially the Orion IIC!

Clan Snow Raven was known for using almost exclusively Omnimechs in their frontlines, but this was due to them having a smaller than usual ground force because of their Aerotech preference. Even then, you see the odd Battlemech in their frontline RATs.

Jenner IIC is a common scout mech, even for frontlines. Highlander IIC would also be seen on frontlines with urban settings.

#4 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

Big shoulders on those things..

;)

#5 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:20 AM

View PostRepasy, on 11 December 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:

To be more accurate, most Clans included Battlemechs in their frontlines. With the exception of the Hunchback IIC, which I would regard as solely a defensive garrison mech, the other three IIC mechs would definitely see frontline action. Especially the Orion IIC!

Clan Snow Raven was known for using almost exclusively Omnimechs in their frontlines, but this was due to them having a smaller than usual ground force because of their Aerotech preference. Even then, you see the odd Battlemech in their frontline RATs.

Jenner IIC is a common scout mech, even for frontlines. Highlander IIC would also be seen on frontlines with urban settings.

Most of the Invading Clans however had very few second line Mechs in their front lines. Garrison, sure, but front lines. Not a lot. On how the Battlemech IIC are looking to be the Mech of choice in the Clans of MWO... Good high hard points, can customize to hearts content. Clan weapons... Yep omnimechs are going the way of the mackie near the end of the Star League. Still being used by the Terran hegemony near the fall of the Star League but for the most Warriors moved on to the newer tech.

#6 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

I still view Omnitech as advantageous, mainly because of how adaptable they are. Consider the new player: they do not have large mechbay space and are limited in cash. They can save a LOT of money on Clantech by selling all but 1 variant of a chassis after it's mastered, while keeping the weapon omnipods.

In this way, a player can have access to nearly every single loadout variation (minus optimized quirks), with one single chassis. When they want to play a new loadout, simply swap the omnipods rather than buying a new chassis. This is how they are logistically superior in MWO.

I currently own a majority of ever Clan chassis' individual variants. Had I not spent MC on one-time paint jobs and needed more mechbay space, I could just remove the omnipods I wanted to keep and sell a few chassis. Instantly, I now have more mechbay space, more money to buy a new Battlemech with, and I still possess the ability to play the loadout of the chassis I just sold.

Battlemechs do not have this advantage. Furthermore, their variants do not differ much in playstyle. In this sense it is advantageous because you really only need to own one anyways, once it is mastered. However, this also makes them predictable. So another advantage of Omnitech is that you can keep your opponents guessing how they should engage you, because the variant indicator doesn't really give any useful information in that regard. Until someone can score a solid lock on you, people are in the dark when it comes to what to expect from you.

These two advantages are why I enjoy Omnitech so much. Incidentally, I like to keep most of my variants unmodified (for fanlore reasons), but I usually have 1 or 2 heavily modified variants of each chassis type, so I can throw a couple of curveballs.

Now, some would argue that this is moot, because nobody takes note of what an enemy player is armed with until after they've experienced said firepower. In this case my question is simply "Why are you not?" Having the ability to identify an enemy's loadout even before they're within striking distance makes all the difference, especially in a 1v1 skirmish.

Food for thought. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users