Wvr-6K Long Range Assault/assistance

4 replies to this topic

#1 The Cobb

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:15 PM

So, i've been messing around with my Wolverine 6K variant for the past couple of days trying to figure out something more sustainable than what I was runnning on it (3LPL's on the right arm) that wouldn't be so... hazardous to play.

I think I may have come on to something. With that being said, I offer this build. It has 1 large laser, 2 medium lasers, and a big ole LRM20 with 2 tons of ammo, with an AMS system to compliment all this. After playing around with this in matchmaking,

I've got to say i've been far more effective in combat than having 3 LPL's that would overheat so badly. Perhaps not as fun, but definitely a more realistic and user-friendly build for me personally.

Let me know what you think! If you have any suggestions/alternatives/advice, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks guys.

#2 DemonicDonut

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:35 PM

full quirk or go home

WVR-6K

Don't have to do 350 XL, but the biggest you have and add HS's

The key is to shield your right arm. Poke, fire all three, move to new spot, repeat.

If you want to LRMs thats ok, but I'd recommend going down to a LRM 15, they have a smaller spread, and save you 3 tons as well. WVR-6K

Edited by DemonicDonut, 26 October 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#3 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 483 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:51 PM

Hi "The Cobb"!

I'll reply on this one seriously, though I know some might knock what you already were running right out the gates as not meta enough and your suggested build as so far from meta or effective that it is in Outer Mongolia.

I would hazard the guess that the 3 Large Pulse Lasers were overheating you perhaps due to a bit of an issue with lack of trigger discipline. Those who use the 3 LPL build effectively do not exclusively alpha with it, often use it in dribs and drabs on chain fire, until the right moment for an alpha does come about. Also, they do alot of shielding that arm, obviously. If this comes across as though I am treating you as new, I apologize - I'm just saying from my perspective the heat is fine when one uses it in a certain way.

Your newer build, the Large Laser, 2 Medium Lasers, and the "big ol" LRM20 ends up creating a different heat dynamic for you, so that may be why it is working better for you. You are well aware that those Medium Lasers do no good at 400 or 600 meters, so likely then you are only shooting the LRM20 that has a pretty slow cooldown. This gives plenty of time for dissipation. The only other weapon you are likely to use at that longer range is the Large Laser, but again due to the cool down, there's a good bit of time to dissipate the heat generated. Meanwhile with the "standard" build you had before with LPLx3, you have the dynamic of all your weapons being useable all the time and same range and such a short cooldown as is common with Pulse Weapons. Its' a load out just begging to get into trouble with heat if you are not disciplined.

I like the idea of a mixed load out Wolverine and I think you might actually find that if the PTS changes regarding ECM no longer stopping LRM locks go live in the game, that your LRM20 might be even more effective.

#4 The Cobb

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:11 PM

View PostMad Porthos, on 26 October 2015 - 05:51 PM, said:

Hi "The Cobb"!

I'll reply on this one seriously, though I know some might knock what you already were running right out the gates as not meta enough and your suggested build as so far from meta or effective that it is in Outer Mongolia.

I would hazard the guess that the 3 Large Pulse Lasers were overheating you perhaps due to a bit of an issue with lack of trigger discipline. Those who use the 3 LPL build effectively do not exclusively alpha with it, often use it in dribs and drabs on chain fire, until the right moment for an alpha does come about. Also, they do alot of shielding that arm, obviously. If this comes across as though I am treating you as new, I apologize - I'm just saying from my perspective the heat is fine when one uses it in a certain way.

Your newer build, the Large Laser, 2 Medium Lasers, and the "big ol" LRM20 ends up creating a different heat dynamic for you, so that may be why it is working better for you. You are well aware that those Medium Lasers do no good at 400 or 600 meters, so likely then you are only shooting the LRM20 that has a pretty slow cooldown. This gives plenty of time for dissipation. The only other weapon you are likely to use at that longer range is the Large Laser, but again due to the cool down, there's a good bit of time to dissipate the heat generated. Meanwhile with the "standard" build you had before with LPLx3, you have the dynamic of all your weapons being useable all the time and same range and such a short cooldown as is common with Pulse Weapons. Its' a load out just begging to get into trouble with heat if you are not disciplined.

I like the idea of a mixed load out Wolverine and I think you might actually find that if the PTS changes regarding ECM no longer stopping LRM locks go live in the game, that your LRM20 might be even more effective.

I thank you for giving it a lookover and your honesty, and also a thanks to DemonicDonut as well for build suggestions. I suppose i'll have to give some other builds a try whenever I am able.

#5 Tyicus

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGabriola Island BC

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:33 PM

The WVR-6K has been one of my favorites for the last couple weeks. I bought them as an alternate medium choice ( usually ran Hunchbacks ). The reason I love the 6K, despite it's lack of jumpjets, is the total heat immunity of my build. I can fire every laser, as soon as they recharge, unless I'm actually standing in lava.

I only run 2 large lasers and one medium, but with the models perks, and the modules, it is a deadly machine. Since I can sustain my fire indefinitely it rips lights to pieces. Even assaults go down nice and fast, if I can maneuver behind them.

I run range and cooldown weapons modules for the large lasers, and target aquisition/advanced seismic for the mech. The heat efficiency is around 1.66, and I dump the XL engine for a standard. Alot of people get surprised when they chew through your left side torso, and you are still combat effective. IMO all Wolverines should hold onto the head medium laser, you never have to worry about being zombied.

WVR-6K

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users