What Is The Worst Mech In The Game?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 06:48 PM

In every game I have played I try and take the worst class or ability set in it and make it work. I know I have a problem and should seek counseling. However I have been a bit bored lately to the point of even purchasing a stock LCT-1M......and playing it as stock. Ya the 32 point armor LCT with two lrm 5's. Bottom line is I need a new project so figured I would see what people think I should play. I have far to many mechs, and far to many mechbays but I do not have everything.

First off no stock builds. I am looking for the worst chassis after you have modified it. Though I really do wish we had a 3025 mode with actual BV I realize that is a pipe dream.

Second, no lights. For two reasons, one I have or have played them all and two I do not think they are as bad as people think because their role is not always about damage. Some are superior to others but I do not think they are truly bad because they can perform a scouting role even with bad hardpoints.

For mediums the VND-1X stands out for me. Limited energy options and not all that fast to make up for it.

For heavies the ON1-V hard point poor and oversized.

For assaults the HGN-733 seems pretty reliant on missles be they LRM's or SRM's.

Those seem to be the ones I am looking at. Any other ideas?

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 31 October 2015 - 06:52 PM

The problem with your criteria of "no lights" is that the worst mech in the whole game IS a light (Spider 5V).

Perhaps try one of the non-1N Dragon variants?

#3 ExplicitContent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 336 posts
  • LocationSolaris Arena

Posted 31 October 2015 - 06:53 PM

from the forum from the other day, the Spider 5V or the Wolverine L have kinda been the consensus

#4 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 31 October 2015 - 06:54 PM

View PostExplicitContent, on 31 October 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

from the forum from the other day, the Spider 5V or the Wolverine L have kinda been the consensus

Yeah, the Loyalty Wolvie is a good candidate for the list.

#5 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:01 PM

View PostCementi, on 31 October 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

For mediums the VND-1X stands out for me. Limited energy options and not all that fast to make up for it.

For heavies the ON1-V hard point poor and oversized.

For assaults the HGN-733 seems pretty reliant on missles be they LRM's or SRM's.

Those seem to be the ones I am looking at. Any other ideas?

The Vindaicator 1X has some interesting PPC quirks (+25% velocity), but with no ability to mount more than 1 might actually fit your criteria.

The ON1-V has some pretty good generic quirks.

The Highlander 733 is only missile dependant if you want it to be. I run it with Gauss, 2xLPL, 4xSSRM2, BAP, 325XL.

#6 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:10 PM

Indeed, I forgot about the loyalty Wolverine. That may have been my subconscious screaming out "Oh god please don't do it!!!"

The 5V while terrible still can do that scouting thing and it can be amusing to play it with a standard engine so that when someone blows off a side torso they are still trying to figure out why you are not dead. The LCT-1M and LCT-3V are also fun to do that in. Also a big reason why I said no lights is that I have played them all pretty extensively.

I might work on the Wolverine simply because I cannot sell it it and it gives me something to do while this discussion continues.

#7 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:12 PM

Worst medium is the Cicada 3C. 1 energy hardpoint, 4 ballistic hardpoint. It's the Spider 5K without jump jets. Just awful. I use mine as a dual AC2 troll. Sure, you can put a single ERPPC on it. But you can do that with virtually any mech in the game.

Worst heavy is a toss up. Even the worst heavies in the game aren't really that bad, because... they're heavies. MWO was basically made for heavy mechs.

Worst assault is probably the AWS-8V. The AWS-chassis is terrible to begin with, and then you have the 300 engine cap. Unlike other AWS-variants, it doesn't have enough hardpoints to boat lasers or to boat missiles. To make matters worse, it only has 1 energy hardpoint in the arm, and one of its four energy hardpoints is located in its cockpit, so you can't even run 4xLL or something like that.

Any Highlander beats the AWS-8V nine times out of ten.

CDA-3C and AWS-8V, hands down.

And don't knock the 2xLRM5 Locust. I once got 6 kills in that thing.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 31 October 2015 - 07:13 PM.

#8 Stelar 7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 315 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:04 PM

Hey don't knock the Cicada 3C. I ran that thing with the er ppc and four glorious machine guns. It was a blast. Got a decent number of kills and it was a terror to lights, though that was back before all lights were article cheetah.

#9 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:28 PM

I have also done very well in the CDA-3C.

#10 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:36 PM

Worst medium?

Centurion.

/trollface

g8b8m8wdr8 8/8

#11 Ragnahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts
  • LocationAce in RVN-3L, HBK-4P, CDA-2A, AS7-S, BNC-3M, Won Top Dog Tourny.. Those are my bests

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:37 PM

Spider 5V is awesome. I can kill you with it.

#12 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:11 PM

Worst mechs in this game just as is based on geometry+hitboxes and hardpoints.

Spider-5V
Panther
Urbanmech
Kitfox
Commando
Mist Lynx
Shadowcat
Vindicator
Trebuchet
Kintaro
Nova
Catapult
Dragon
Orion
Awesome
Gargoyle

Worst mechs based on Quirks or rather lack of.

Commando
Firestarter-K
Mist Lynx
Kitfox
Shadowcat
Wolverine (all but 7k)
Kintaro
Hunchback-4SP (mostly due to bad SRM hitreg)
Shadowhawk
Iceferret
Blackjack-1 & DC
Cataphract-2x & 0XP
Grasshopper
Orion (lack of sufficient torso armor/structure)
Highlander
Victor
Atlas

Just my opinion though.

Best mechs overall, between Hitboxes/hardpoints/Quirks.

best InnerSphere

Firestarter A+S
Commando TDK
Locust (most got surprisingly good quirks)
Jenner-F
Raven-2x/4x
Wolfhound
Blackjack-1X
Cicada-3M
Enfrocer-4P/4R
Wolverine-7K (maybe 6R)
Dragon-1N
Jagermech-6A/DD
Thunderbolt-5SS (+9SE honorable mention)
Quickdraw-5K (LL quirks are amazing)
Zeus (tanky tanky)
Mauler (solid performer)
Banshee-3M (wubwub)
Banshee-3E (Dakkadakka)
Battlemaster-1S (best large laser quirks in the game 900M+ erll)
Stalker-4N + 3H

best CLAN

Artic cheeta
Adder (great except giant CT hitbox)
Stormcrow
EbonJag
Hellbringer
Timberwolf
Warhawk
Executioner

Worst mechs in the game, might as well not even be in the game.

Spider-5V
Locust-3v

Edited by Mister D, 31 October 2015 - 09:16 PM.

#13 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

I don't think there's any bad Assault generally speaking (well, maybe the Pretty Baby).

You can find lots of trash mechs and variants.. and more of it being IS (there are a quite a # of bad Clan mechs though too).

#14 JP Josh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • Locationsteam- jp josh

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:43 AM

View PostLordred, on 31 October 2015 - 08:36 PM, said:

Worst medium?

Centurion.

/trollface

g8b8m8wdr8 8/8

i dont know about that its kinda hard to go wrong with the ac/20 when people focus on the meta mechs instead of you.

#15 CuriousCabbitBlue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:45 AM

my all flamer Jester

#16 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:46 AM

5v is far from worst.

#17 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:51 AM

Vindicator 1X is not the absolute worst, but it's still a strong contender.

Here you have a 45 ton mech with 2E (one in the head), 3B, plus it only has an XL235 engine cap.

Not many mechs are so hamstrung.

#18 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:51 AM

The Awesome 8V had a place before super-high pinpoint alphas and during those brief moments when SRM's actually worked. Eating a pair of PPC's or 3 large lasers AND 3 SRM6's was pretty nasty, and the 8V could carry that with a standard 300 engine. That being said, its time has long passed, if it ever really had a time. The same can be said of all Awesomes, which earn the distinction of being the worst assaults in the game.

The Cicada is one of the worst chassis in the game, IMHO. Only 1 has ECM and a reasonably balanced set of hardpoints. The rest are either oversized "almost light mech" energy boats with no jump jets, or the other one with way too many ballistic hardpoints. Ok, one of them has jumpjets - and is still oversized and undergunned compared to any decent light mech. And all but the Hero version lack missiles, which is silly since SRM's are supposed to be how lighter mechs pack a punch. Total failure of a mech, IMHO.

Vindicators are also awful, though I haven't really given them as much thought since I usually forget they even exist.

Kintaros are basically Griffins without jumpjets and with no ECM version. No idea what they bring to the table anymore.

Quickdraws and Thuds are dependent solely upon Quirks to survive and balance out their stupidly huge geometry and mediocre hitboxes. Once the Quirks go away, they will vanish from play in the blink of an eye.

As for light mechs, Commandos and Locusts are both awful and propped up by Quirk crutches, but obviously the Spider 5V - the most undergunned mech in the game - wins this "prize."

Edited by oldradagast, 01 November 2015 - 09:52 AM.

#19 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:57 AM

View PostMister D, on 31 October 2015 - 09:11 PM, said:

~List~

BJ-1DC may not be the absolute best, and yes it has AC/2 quirks, but have you seen the energy quirks on that thing? They are insane.

#20 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:57 AM

"Worst Mech" is such a subjective opinion. For me, it is one of the meta approved mechs, I just can seem to get them to work for me (Storm Crows), yet I can a Locust a constant pain in the rear armour for the Red Team, till they finally sick a Fire Starter or Arctic Cheata on me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users