26 replies to this topic

#21 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

@Radagast: The Victor is objectively worse than the Awesome. The Awesome can be turned into a powerful laser boat or lurm boat.

The Victor has paper armor, a giant profile and jump jets that barely work.

#22 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:13 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 01 November 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

@Radagast: The Victor is objectively worse than the Awesome. The Awesome can be turned into a powerful laser boat or lurm boat.

The Victor has paper armor, a giant profile and jump jets that barely work.

Ah, yes - forgot all about the Victors. They are also terrible now. They had a brief moment of fun with jump-sniping, but they have a profile as horrible as the Awesomes, useless jump jets, a lack of proper hardpoints, etc. Just useless.

#23 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:29 AM

View PostCementi, on 31 October 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

In every game I have played I try and take the worst class or ability set in it and make it work. I know I have a problem and should seek counseling. However I have been a bit bored lately to the point of even purchasing a stock LCT-1M......and playing it as stock. Ya the 32 point armor LCT with two lrm 5's. Bottom line is I need a new project so figured I would see what people think I should play. I have far to many mechs, and far to many mechbays but I do not have everything.

First off no stock builds. I am looking for the worst chassis after you have modified it. Though I really do wish we had a 3025 mode with actual BV I realize that is a pipe dream.

Second, no lights. For two reasons, one I have or have played them all and two I do not think they are as bad as people think because their role is not always about damage. Some are superior to others but I do not think they are truly bad because they can perform a scouting role even with bad hardpoints.

For mediums the VND-1X stands out for me. Limited energy options and not all that fast to make up for it.

For heavies the ON1-V hard point poor and oversized.

For assaults the HGN-733 seems pretty reliant on missles be they LRM's or SRM's.

Those seem to be the ones I am looking at. Any other ideas?

ON1-V is one of the best LRM boats in the game (for me, at least)...not nearly the worst variant in the game.

#24 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:51 AM

I'd say missile based Catapults.

#25 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:18 PM

Vindicator 1X, 45ton, slow med, big, low hardpoints, except for the head laser, 2 energy hardpoints, one can't fit anything bigger than med lasers, the other very low. 3 very low ballistic hardpoints, Not one advantage to use.

#26 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:41 PM

This is an odd subject. See, on the one hand, there is actually "bad" mechs, that are inferior to it's stable mates.
On the other hand, there are mechs that are "ok" but, ofr one reason or another, are just NOT FUN.

To me, the second one is what makes a bad mech.
alternatively, there is the unpopular, or "rare" mechs that for whatever reason are just not represented on the field. This is a similar, but rather different criteria that still tends to sway people's opinions on mechs anyway.

So, i do not really have the deffinitive answer you seek. but I can give some opinions.

Light
Locusts are deemed poor, but can be fun. Ravens are deemed pretty decent, but IMO a couple variants failed the fun test in spectacular fashion( the 2 variant for me, was a torturous affair to master).
In general, I do not think there are any lights I would put strictly on bad all around, EXCEPT: Myth Lanx. And even that finds it's supporters, meager in population as they may be. People complain about the 5V, but at least the thing can jump and is fast, so it can be fun as a troll. Myth Lanx, well, its not fast. and unless you ditch ECM, it has no weapons either. So, i would put that out there as the one light to be on the "bad" list I guess.

Medium:
Very, very, very opinion based here. I can;t comment on Vindicators, outside of St. Ive's Blues, which to me might just be the worst hero mech ever. It was so aweful I never subjected myself to the rest of the chassis, at least not yet. So it likely holds to it's reputation, but I can not confirm personally.
i would say also, run a Kintaro, just because I never see them on the field, ever. I do not think they are actually "bad" but rare is rare, and could be for some reason I am not aware of. Trebuchets too, but IMO the only issue with them is blandness and well, they are too tall.

heavy:
Orions are fine. Some require oddball loadouts and special considerations to run, but they aren't "bad" per se. For all the complaining on the forums, I don;t see unanymous votes for summoners here lol(because they aren;t "bad" either really, just different) I guess if I had to pick, a couple of the Dragons might fit, and a couple of the Phracts. Both because they do not have the ability to safely run big enough alphas at the speeds required anymore, and don;t have the stamina to move slower either. All in all, pretty hard to put a finger on a particular heavy IMO.

Assault:
This is of course where we run into a lot more "not fun" then actual "bad" mechs.
IMO, Victor is the poster child of "not fun". Not a single variant IMO could be deemed anything but a laborious chore to master. That said, 400+ dmg is pretty easy if you put the effort in for this special needs case. Could be higher, but most of Victor's weapons are going to be pinpoint, so you either put that dmg where it needs be or you die.
I find Pretty Baby fairly attrocious, though in recent months the missile tube issue was resolved, so running LRM plus backup lasers as a fat, fast, durable platform is OK. The 8T Awesome, IMO was the variant I loathed the most to run in the chassis. The rest were actually half way decent, even before quirks happened. I can;t comment on the 8V or 9M, really, because I mastered them before ghost heat lol. But, I haven;t heard any cries about them ina while so I am sure they stayed the course of mediocrity.
Other chassis as a whole tat comes to mind is the highlander. Much like the victor, it has wonky loadouts and mobility/hitbox/sstamina issues. It can put out a solid performance.... but it lacks fun IMO. Not as bang your head on the wall irritating as a Victor, but it can be pretty bad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users